Phrase system/translation

Awesome ... XF will spread to the 4 corners of the Earth :)
Psst, the Earth is circular ;)

Crowd-sourcing systems are generally good because they are translated by people who have a foreign language as a native language. A bunch of Dutch people can contribute and translate into Dutch, a bunch of Spanish people can translate to Spanish and it generally works this way which creates the more effective translations.

Loving the idea overall!

If there is going to be a wiki-like translation tool, there must also be a translation glossary, so common terms always stay the same. Otherwise, one translator might translate a term one way, where as another translator might use a totally different translation for that term, causing the quality of the translation to drop. Translators would then need to be familiar with the translation "glossary", before they start translating.

And even deciding what translatoin is the right one for certain terms is a chore in itself. That is also why it is almost a must, that someone be "in charge" of the translation.;)

Scott

No doubt professional translations could be a selling point for XenForo. I think it'd should be part of the product. There are not that many widely-used languages in the world. Maybe 10 or so.

There is a UK based company that offers professional software translations to many languages. XenForo should probably contact them and get a quote to see how much it would cost them.
http://www.todaytranslations.com

thanks for this mate :)

Psst, the Earth is circular ;)

Crowd-sourcing systems are generally good because they are translated by people who have a foreign language as a native language. A bunch of Dutch people can contribute and translate into Dutch, a bunch of Spanish people can translate to Spanish and it generally works this way which creates the more effective translations.

Loving the idea overall!

definitely the ultimate feature!

Paying for translations? What are you talking about.
Let's just do it like vBulletin, PHPBB and IPB do it eh? ;)
I don't know if you know the way of vB translation, but it is something with paying for.
The quality of the German vBulletin is one of the reasons why so many German customers want to stay for Xenforo with Adduco

Translate the software is one of the worst nightmares of vBulletin :(
The translations done by support sites usually include grammatical or spelling errors.
So the only valid solution was to translate himself. A job that took many days.

thanks for this mate :)

What's the point for Xenforo to contact a profesionnal translator while users of the community generally does it for free ?!

Ok sometime there can be lacks in the translations but he just report to the translator and then the translation can get better and better.

some guys over at the german-forum have raised questions over issues they had with other software-packages regarding translations from english into german language.

Usually other software-packages bring issues with them, as they do have a certain phrase being used at several areas of the website. Saying ONE specific language-phrase is being used at several places of the english-language-website.

So if you are translating that certain phrase from english into german-language, that translation in fact does not give a proper meaning for all of those areas at which this certain phrase is being used.

So literally my question is: are certain english language-phrases being used at more than one location of the XF-website ?

Is the XF-langage-system so flexible that each single phrase can be translated differently, no matter how many times this single phrase is bing ised at different areas of the website ? Even if that phrase is the same wording in english, but being used at different instances of the website ?

Many thanks,

What's the point for Xenforo to contact a profesionnal translator while users of the community generally does it for free ?!

Ok sometime there can be lacks in the translations but he just report to the translator and then the translation can get better and better.
i just pointed out a message from a dutch guy ... however i'll do the italian translation ... ;)

So literally my question is: are certain english language-phrases being used at more than one location of the XF-website ?
Generally speaking, that would end up creating an insane amount of duplication for languages that don't have that distinction (and there are plenty). It's something we would deal with on a case-by-case basis. Occasionally, there are English words that have 2 meanings in different contexts but are separate words in other languages; those are obvious candidates.

Top Bottom