Phrase system/translation

That's unfortunate. This has two problems:

1. everyone translates in a different style. One person might use other words (synonyms) and you end up with a inconsistent translation. I've seen it happen.

2. because you're dealing with a group, it's harder to control and you might get some good translators and some bad ones all mixed up. Why not ask for references and pick one (or at most two) that do a really good job, instead of ten that do a poor one?

Just my 2c.

I totally agree, as I've explained here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/phrase-system-translation.249/page-2#post-6729. This way (non-professional group translations) of thinking resulted in the Dutch community translation of vBulletin to be of a very questionable quality. So bad, it was unusable for a professional site. That's why thankfully a professional third party stepped in and funded the high quality 'Applinet' professional translation of vBulletin 3.x for the Dutch market. This translation was done by 1 single person who is a professional English-Dutch translator, specialized in IT.

I have 2 projects that I want to use XF for (if vBulletin doesn't step up to the plate with vB4.1 and subsequent releases): one new international (English) project (so the language is obviously not a problem there) and my own current vB3.8 powered website in The Netherlands. (but both sites need integrated Blogs, so I can not even choose XF unfortunately before integrated Blogs become available). Next to http://forum.dutchbodybuilding.com/ from dutchbb we are one of the most successful Dutch vB powered websites and we need a professional translation in the same quality as Applinet's vB3 one. I will not judge a crowd-sourcing one before I have seen it, but my experience with this on vB was very bad. And we waited many, many years at that time for vBulletin to finally be available in Dutch.

My point is, the sooner there is a professional Dutch translation available for XF, the better. If a crowd-sourcing one can provide a good quality, I will go for that. But if it is -again- not delivered, we need to have a professional one soon. Running our Dutch site with the default English language is a no-go. Yes, I keep realizing more and more that switching forum software is not a task to take lightly at all...

This should be done on the beta phase, so we are ready when stable hits imo.

Not to annoy xen staff, if it can't be done no problem.
If they could make a public translation script, adding new phrases gradually, allowing a team or individual translators to translate them as the devs move further towards gold, that would be awesome. It's how vBSEO did it, it works much better than doing it after the release, and of course there's the benefit of having multi-language support on release day.

PS: for translators it has the benefit of not having to deal with such a daunting task, but gradually translate a bit every day.

Hopefully the admins can choose to deactivate the translation on the AdminCP (or categorized so they are easy to delete) it is very annoying switching language to look for specific things, give instructions, or take useful screenshots...

The idea of crowd sourcing looks excellent :) Sounds like it will be a joy to work with XF ^^

Hopefully the admins can choose to deactivate the translation on the AdminCP (or categorized so they are easy to delete) it is very annoying switching language to look for specific things, give instructions, or take useful screenshots...

This has got to be in, yes. It was annoying like... well... in vBulletin. Please let XF not follow the same path... we need our ACP's in English!

Are you guys talking about making the Admin CP be in English mandatory or optional? Because with some of my forum admins who don't speak English, it's a big deal to have the ACP in their language.
So yeah, while I can see the benefits of having an English ACP - I think it should be translatable and should be translated with the rest of the software.
Maybe we could have a separate language chooser in the ACP that is independent from the language chooser in the frontend? (Then again maybe that's what you guys meant all along lol)

Will have to see if the translation tool still works through the latest code changes. :)

The phrasing of the templates isn't 100% complete yet, but after that we could experiment with that tool. Obviously, translations can still be done independently, if people prefer that.
I think most of us international customers would really like to make it a concentrated effort, rather than having individuals (or individual groups even) starting out and running the risk of having to do things more than once. The translation of the software is a daunting enough task as it is *lol*.
So I think it's very important that when translations begin, they should be coordinated and concentrated here. I've never participated in crowd sourcing before, so I'm not sure about the logistics of that. I do hope that we can get started on that very soon, within the beta phase if possible. I think it would help international sales greatly when XF goes gold.

Sorry, but we need our ACP not in English only ;)

You are a little bit egoistic. What if someone doesn't know English? So, he should not use XenForo at all then? Just because sometimes it's more convenient for someone to have ACP in English?

With 'we need...', I didn't mean everyone. Obviously there are people who do not understand English. But by all means, how can you understand the default package, default documentation, official HYS videos and everything if you do not speak English in the first place? Yes, I realize this in itself is the reason why people need the ACP and stuff also in different languages. The point is that it would be really good if XenForo gives us the possibility to translate the backend (ACP) and the frontend seperately. If you speak English, then it is much more preferred if the ACP is in English and the frontend (user-functionality) in your local language.

With 'we need...', I didn't mean everyone. Obviously there are people who do not understand English. But by all means, how can you understand the default package, default documentation, official HYS videos and everything if you do not speak English in the first place?
There will be plenty of communities in other languages with documentation and video in other languages. Besides understand the HYS videos and such is not half as important as understanding the ACP.
Yes, I realize this in itself is the reason why people need the ACP and stuff also in different languages. The point is that it would be really good if XenForo gives us the possibility to translate the backend (ACP) and the frontend seperately. If you speak English, then it is much more preferred if the ACP is in English and the frontend (user-functionality) in your local language.
Yes, that is understandable. However, having the ACP in English only is not a solution. It just creates a new problem. I think there should be a switch in the ACP for the ACP language.
I imagine it's not that hard to do either.

I think there should be a switch in the ACP for the ACP language.
I think the most convenient way is to make radio buttons at the bottom of the ACP index page:

ACP Language: 1. Default 2. English

It will make setting up and switching ACP language easy and at your finger tips so to say.

Sorry, but we need our ACP not in English only ;)
You are a little bit egoistic. What if someone doesn't know English? So, he should not use XenForo at all then? Just because sometimes it's more convenient for someone to have ACP in English?

What people are actually saying is they want the ability to select a language to view the admin control panel separately from the language they view the front end in. They are not saying the admin panel should be 'English-only'.

Besides understand the HYS videos and such is not half as important as understanding the ACP.

Ofcourse.

Yes, that is understandable. However, having the ACP in English only is not a solution. It just creates a new problem. I think there should be a switch in the ACP for the ACP language.

I am not saying that we need it in 'English only'. What I said is this: 'If you speak English, then it is much more preferred if the ACP is in English and the frontend (user-functionality) in your local language'. At least, that is my opinion speaking from experience with vBulletin 3.8 where we use a professional Dutch translation where they decided (rightfully so, because almost everybody in the Netherlands understands English very well) to only translate the frontend in Dutch. However, with vBulletin 3.8 the odd and very irritating/inconvenient thing happens that still a fair amount of phrases appear in Dutch aswell in the ACP :confused:. They can not be divided from each other. So yeah, maybe your switch-idea will work!

Top Bottom