No obvious way to access "Your Account"

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Due to the recent changes, there is now no obvious way to access "Your Account".

I know that all I have to do is hover over my username and click one of the options in the menu and it will take me to that part of my account.
However, new members and those less savvy might get confused by this.

Is it worth just putting a "Your Account" link at the top of the drop down menu, just underneath "Sign out" for example?

I think many have spoken loud and clear. The link in the Navbar which currently is your handle, needs to be renamed to Settings.

Why? Isn't it obvious that it (access to Your Account) could be found under the link so fittingly called 'Username'. I love the fact that it is not called Settings, but that everything related to You can be found in your Username dropdown. This is innovate thinking and in line with XenForo's social vision. You can not get it more intuitive than this! :cool:

First lets identify the problem and figure out a solution.

Is the problem having a redundant Your Account link in the tab or it isn't intuitive enough to get to the account page?

Both.

So, this is a good solution IMHO:

Kier, why not call this link 'Your Account' and bring the user to exactly that page? : http://xenforo.com/community/settings/

Then the problem of redudancy is solved and we have at the same time the solution to go straight to 'Your Account', which is what we need I believe.

I believe that Kier has stated that there is no "My Account" or "settings" page per se. All of the settings are encompassed within the profile page, which is very easy to access.

When I click on my name, this is the drop down I see

Page 2 - XenForo Community_1282581330848.webp

When I click on my black colored name (Abomination), this page shows up. And clicking on my black name seems to be the only way of getting to this page. I am referring to it as 'visitor messages' for lack of a better term

Abomination - XenForo Community_1282581378348.webp

It could be that adding a 'visitor messages' button (somewhere) could solve a couple of issues

Copy of Page 2 - XenForo Community_1282581330848.webp

I now know why someone sent me a PM with a question. Regardless of everything else, could we please define clearly what
  1. The pop-up page is called when people click on an avatar
  2. The 'members' page which shows the visitor messages
Until we do that, I think there will be some confusion.

So, I did play with it for 5 seconds. And I realized... it is a bit of a redundant link isn't it? Because...

... exactly this reason.

Kier, why not call this link 'Your Account' and bring the user to exactly that page? : http://xenforo.com/community/settings/

Then the problem of redudancy is solved and we have at the same time the solution to go straight to 'Your Account', which is what we need I believe.

Well, you get what you ask for :D

This is why I think people should think about it a few times as to what they are actually requesting ..

Top Bottom