No obvious way to access "Your Account"

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Due to the recent changes, there is now no obvious way to access "Your Account".

I know that all I have to do is hover over my username and click one of the options in the menu and it will take me to that part of my account.
However, new members and those less savvy might get confused by this.

Is it worth just putting a "Your Account" link at the top of the drop down menu, just underneath "Sign out" for example?

naw I disagree. I think it's great that you can change settings from several different pages without having to keep going back to just the one page to do it.
Saves alot of time-wasting, back-and-forth nonsense, imo.

But if there's no "My Account" page, what would the link link to? That is the question. It would link to the profile page, which would be a 4th link to the same page.

? Have you actually read the thread? In a lot of my posting I made it clear that it should link to http://xenforo.com/community/settings/ obviously. Not sure why you think it would link to the profile page :confused: We already have 3 links to that...

TBH, neither I nor anyone I know (til you :) ) has wondered about a My Account link.
I don't get remarks like this if I may be so honest myself. It doesn't matter in any single way if I am the only one stating a vision or making a constructive suggestion. And in this case it even turns out I am not the only one, as you can see reading this thread. Just take a look at the very first posting from Brogan (the TS)...

In my experience, people usually just go to their profile page, and WAA LAA, there is every preference they need.

Really? I don't see any preferences in my profile page...

? Have you actually read the thread? In a lot of my posting I made it clear that it should link to http://xenforo.com/community/settings/ obviously. Not sure why you think it would link to the profile page :confused: We already have 3 links to that...

I don't get remarks like this if I may be so honest myself. It doesn't matter in any single way if I am the only one stating a vision or making a constructive suggestion. And in this case it even turns out I am not the only one, as you can see reading this thread. Just take a look at the very first posting from Brogan (the TS)...

Really? I don't see any preferences in my profile page...
bah I meant to type preferences page, not profile page. On the preferences page are the settings to every setting/preference.

I am one of the people who feel *something* should be done about this but disagree with many suggestions as to what.

I actually see it as a usability issue when I'm left thinking how do I change my signature, how do I edit my profile? How do I add an avatar? Change my notification preferences??

Ok, Im not a novice user but it had me baffled for a while.

I don't know how this should be addressed but clicking on your own name to get to all the things you can change just doesn't seem very intuitive or user friendly to me. Left as is, I think it would be among the first template changes I'll make, and from the sounds of it a fair few others.

I am one of the people who feel *something* should be done about this but disagree with many suggestions as to what.

I actually see it as a usability issue when I'm left thinking how do I change my signature, how do I edit my profile? How do I add an avatar? Change my notification preferences??

Ok, Im not a novice user but it had me baffled for a while.

I don't know how this should be addressed but clicking on your own name to get to all the things you can change just doesn't seem very intuitive or user friendly to me. Left as is, I think it would be among the first template changes I'll make, and from the sounds of it a fair few others.
Rob if you click on your username in the navigation bar, there is a Preferences link in the dropdown that takes you to one page that lists all of the preferences. However, there are separate links to everything in that dropdown. I honestly don't see how it could be any easier. :)

.. but clicking on your own name to get to all the things you can change just doesn't seem very intuitive or user friendly to me.

I understand that more people feel like you, but I remain like this:

Why? Isn't it obvious that it (access to Your Account) could be found under the link so fittingly called 'Username'. I love the fact that it is not called Settings, but that everything related to You can be found in your Username dropdown. This is innovate thinking and in line with XenForo's social vision. You can not get it more intuitive than this! :cool:

I may be a lil' late here.....but has it occurred to anyone that "my account" isn't needed anymore? Facebook standardized the way we access our accounts - dropdowns. And I love the way they designed the dropdown box - the status box is right in there. I call that innovation if you ask me.

Good job, Kier/Mike. You guys 1upped facebook in that area.

It seems unnecessary to create an extra page for the purpose of rehashing menu options. Carlos has the right idea. The dropdown IS the "my account" page (and it's looking pretty good).

Top Bottom