• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[LN] Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you mean by that? - You can delete your own blogs and admin can delete all blogs - or you thinking about some backend stuff or?

Onimua said:
You can delete blog entries and comments, however there is only hard delete at the time being. Beta 3 will likely have soft delete as well.

my apologies, I missed Oni got it in the last update.

Now - sorry to be a noob
redface.png
- What is the difference between Hard- and Soft delete. Does the last one simply means its save your delete in some other tables and you can undelete later if necessary?

Categories are a must, like blackmuddler said, people dont want to read or search through the stuff they are not interested in, when they can simply select the category of the topic they are looking for. Also, with categories it will open the door for this product to be used for other uses. This blog addon is freaking awesome and for me, adding these three things would make it perfect; Categories, Promote to blogs and a blog widget! Thanks for your hard work Onimua! :)

are you guys actually using [LN]Blog at this point?
each individual entry has its own title .. are you wanting to add additional entries to an existing blog?

when new entries are added, a new blog is created with its own title. lets kick this around a bit please...
it is not just a simple dated entry as you would expect to find in a wordpress blog.

http://masterchief.com/blog/2/

are you guys actually using [LN]Blog at this point?
each individual entry has its own title .. are you wanting to add additional entries to an existing blog?

when new entries are added, a new blog is created with its own title. lets kick this around a bit please...
it is not just a simple dated entry as you would expect to find in a wordpress blog.

http://masterchief.com/blog/2/
I had to go look at what you were talking about . Yeah that's not good. Each person should have one blog, that contains several entries.
Each entry definitely shouldn't create a new blog.

Not following you. Each time you add a post (blog entry) in WordPress, you supply a Title and Content for the post. Posts are in one or more categories, which is how they are organized. (in addition to tags)

--Ed

I had to go look at what you were talking about . Yeah that's not good. Each person should have one blog, that contains several entries.
Each entry definitely shouldn't create a new blog.

that was why I felt a blog title would suffice for topic clarification

Not following you. Each time you add a post (blog entry) in WordPress, you supply a Title and Content for the post. Posts are in one or more categories, which is how they are organized. (in addition to tags)

--Ed

I retract my previous wordpress statement... you are correct

I don't think I have any instances where replies to blogs contain attachments. Was vB even capable of doing that?
So, deleting those, would not be a problem. :)

I actually don't recall if it actually is in vB Blog. :confused: I think this is mainly a worry for those who are using the forums as a blog.
Why would we need categories for blogs? I would rather that a blog could be promoted.
Categories are a little more important than promoting a blog. Categories allow a user to tag their blog, and any time someone clicks a category, their blog along with others of related ones (similar to tags).

Promoting a blog... not on my attention list with the many other things that have more priority right now.
imo Onimua you are doing a fantastic job. I think you should take all the suggestions and categorize them into "must-haves" for a basic blog, and the rest are "extras". Get the "must-haves" done and get the product out of beta into production, then begin offering enhancements. The only things which seem required are the ability to delete blogs and some form of organization / search. The rest are all nice-to-haves, and maybe even should-haves, but shouldn't hold up the process of getting out of beta.
Thank you. :)

I have a private ticket system that tracks bug reports, reported versins, feature suggestions, etc. When it comes to feature suggestions, I just add it to the list. things get done based on how easy it is to do after more important things are done. There's a few things I wanted to put into beta 2, but they would've taken more time/effort to put them in and I had to do more important things first (alerts, likes, etc.).

So yes, the "must-haves" are what get priority.
Now - sorry to be a noob :oops: - What is the difference between Hard- and Soft delete. Does the last one simply means its save your delete in some other tables and you can undelete later if necessary?
I know you were answered, but I'll explain a bit further (as well as why soft-delete wasn't in beta 2).

Hard delete permanently removes an item from the database, you can't recover it once that is done. Soft-delete however just becomes "invisible" to people who can't see what are almost like moderated items. The problem with soft-delete however, and why it wasn't in beta 2, was because I have to rework some of the query fetching to do so to calculate how many posts can be viewed by the current visitor, and if they can view soft-deleted comments, raise the count back up and figure out how many posts they can now view, then use those numbers to calculate how many pages to display, etc.

Wasn't a quick 2-minute job. :p So soft-deletes will probably be the first thing to take care of once I get the bugs out of the way.

I offer you the German language file

Thank you! I've added it to the third post. :)

I know you were answered, but I'll explain a bit further (as well as why soft-delete wasn't in beta 2).

Hard delete permanently removes an item from the database, you can't recover it once that is done. Soft-delete however just becomes "invisible" to people who can't see what are almost like moderated items. The problem with soft-delete however, and why it wasn't in beta 2, was because I have to rework some of the query fetching to do so to calculate how many posts can be viewed by the current visitor, and if they can view soft-deleted comments, raise the count back up and figure out how many posts they can now view, then use those numbers to calculate how many pages to display, etc.

Wasn't a quick 2-minute job. :p So soft-deletes will probably be the first thing to take care of once I get the bugs out of the way.

hail.gif
and a simple THANK you Onimua for that answer
beer.gif

Categories are a little more important than promoting a blog. Categories allow a user to tag their blog, and any time someone clicks a category, their blog along with others of related ones (similar to tags).

Promoting a blog... not on my attention list with the many other things that have more priority right now.

I am all for tags for blog entries, I have stated that on several occassions in fact... a tag cloud to go along with that for the sidebar would be nice. But that is as far as I would want to go for categories. When I refer to promoting a blog it is giving it a more prominent status on the website by placing it on the homepage or the portal page for instance... so it is easy for everyone to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom