High Number of Paypal Chargebacks This Month?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There will still be chargebacks without a doubt, people like getting things for free. Lowering prices would obviously drive developers and designers out of the market as it wouldn't quite be worth while anymore.

Luckily for myself I enjoying doing a lot of this as a hobby and do not depend on sales for income, but I do like getting a return on the amount of support given to products I release.

There will still be chargebacks without a doubt, people like getting things for free. Lowering prices would obviously drive developers and designers out of the market as it wouldn't quite be worth while anymore.

Luckily for myself I enjoying doing a lot of this as a hobby and do not depend on sales for income, but I do like getting a return on the amount of support given to products I release.

Yes there will always be chargebacks however if one implements proper controls, policies, and procedures, one can win regardless.

Yes there will always be chargebacks however if one implements proper controls, policies, and procedures, one can win regardless.
Yeah that's been stated.

Even with them there are always going to be people with enough experience to cover those areas enough that you get fooled, or you'll feel lazy.

Yeah that's been stated.

Even with them there are always going to be people with enough experience to cover those areas enough that you get fooled, or you'll feel lazy.
It is exactly why one needs a business manager (ashley) as well as developers (kier/mike) :P

Encode your add-ons or set up a callback server and disable the mod from your control panel. Or better yet, say FU to PayPal and go with Stripe.

We are also, sadly, subject to chargebacks/reviews/disputed transactions. Once we receive notification, we take steps to prevent further misuse, although it is a little late by then.

PayPal is not always the issue as sometimes the payments are made by credit card.

Another point to add is that there are those customers who buy a XenForo license, happily, but for unknown reasons, chargeback their addon purchase. This makes for a difficult situation as we deem them to be a paid licensed customer, but the addon seller sees them differently.

It is a conundrum.

I suppose you could restrict their access to the resource manager since it is to do with 3rd party resources thus it affects the 3rd party developers/resource. Lock their license out of the resource manager.

I second this. I think Ipb does it as well. If an user files an (unfounded/false) charge back for any paid product bought in their Marketplace then Ips revokes their access to the Marketplace.

I second this. I think Ipb does it as well. If an user files an (unfounded/false) charge back for any paid product bought in their Marketplace then Ips revokes their access to the Marketplace.
I agree with that action provided it does not happen after one report.

After how many offences?

Doesn't really matter the amount of times. Does it? You steal, your license get's striked off from accessing the resources. If that seems unfair to you I guess I hold a high value towards people that provide here and get treated like crap. When the majority realise the amount of time and effort that goes into providing resources they might realise that resource providers are the bread and butter (or will be) to xenforo.

Personally, I don't want to hear what anyone can't do, but rather what they can do. It's plain and simple really, if your aren't a thief then you haven't got anything to worry about. Move this forward, they can't complain there license is restricted since they will still get support from xenforo just not get access from the people they steal from.

Do it once your license gets restricted permanently since it's the resource providers providing the ones affected.

Edit: Sorry if I'm coming off as blunt but thieves just irritate me especially when they steal from people who are trying to make a living or get something back from their work.

Doesn't really matter the amount of times. Does it? You steal, your license get's striked off from accessing the resources. If that seems unfair to you I guess I hold a high value towards people that provide here and get treated like crap.
Does it happen that sometimes developers create crap which seems honey?

Still not a reason to steal.
First I state that I did not ever filed a chargeback in my life...
...but I saw a few heated debates between developers and their customers.
Who was right?
Perhaps the chargeback was the last hope for the customer to get back his money paid for crap.
He is going to be banned for life.
That's the rule isn't it?

There is a HUGE difference when you do it legit. After all other avenues are exhausted. Not just pay, download, after three days decide you really don't need it, then want a chargeback. Or if it doesn't do what you personally thought it would do.

Proper channels.

First I state that I did not ever filed a chargeback in my life...
...but I saw a few heated debates between developers and their customers.
Who was right?
Perhaps the chargeback was the last hope for the customer to get back his money paid for crap.
He is going to be banned for life.
That's the rule isn't it?

You do your homework.

Here's an example. I paid for an add-on I thought did x-function but it didn't because i never thoroughly read the documentation. This is not the fault of the developer as they described it as it was, it was my own fault for jumping in and purchasing without reading. That being said, this developer I hold a high respect for so I feel I'm at least supporting them as I use many of their add-ons.

Here's an example. I paid for an add-on I thought did x-function but it didn't because i never thoroughly read the documentation. This is not the fault of the developer as they described it as it was, it was my own fault for jumping in and purchasing without reading.
So you did not chargeback.

Another customer buys another addon.
It's full with bugs.
The customer asking for bugfixing.
The developer does not care at all.
The customer asking the developer for a refund.
The developer does not want to refund the money.
Have you seen such dramas?

The customer finally use the chargeback.

He's automatically banned, no questions asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom