High Number of Paypal Chargebacks This Month?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you at least say if they'd now fail a token verification check?

It would depend on if what they did would warrent such a measure. I know, its a vague answer, but like I said, its not something I can talk about.

The be all and end all is, we try to keep an eye out and help you guys out to the extent we can. And whilst we might not be able to do everything we would like to, or even as quickly as we would want to, we try our best.

However, the XenForo tokens, linked with a 3rd party sales system and paypal adaptive payments would be a great way to stop chargebacks, remember, each new customer token costs $140.

Careful, I was burned at the stake for maintaining such a list.

Because people want to sit idle and do nothing, turn a blind eye and yeah you did get burned at the stake for doing what I deem the right thing. But we don't need xenforo or a staff member to move this forward (no offence) the database or potential for it is here already from the people being scammed if they got their thumbs out of their asses and collaborated with one another and then the 3rd party devs pooled together you could in essence form some kind of strategy with the resources already here and at our disposal.

it'll take a few people to make that leap, start pooling their resources (lists, info) and compile the needed info and infrastructure to move this along. I know this might come across as blunt but sitting here talking about it (as shown in the past) doesn't move this forward. And with the ethics argument, I think scammers forfeit that right when they steal, essentially scam the bread and butter resource providers provide for very little money they make the thieves still have a cheek to chargeback,

So who's in? </motivational speech> *works in the movies* :D

Because people want to sit idle and do nothing, turn a blind eye and yeah you did get burned at the stake for doing what I deem the right thing. But we don't need xenforo or a staff member to move this forward (no offence) the database or potential for it is here already from the people being scammed if they got their thumbs out of their asses and collaborated with one another and then the 3rd party devs pooled together you could in essence form some kind of strategy with the resources already here and at our disposal.

it'll take a few people to make that leap, start pooling their resources (lists, info) and compile the needed info and infrastructure to move this along. I know this might come across as blunt but sitting here talking about it (as shown in the past) doesn't move this forward. And with the ethics argument, I think scammers forfeit that right when they steal, essentially scam the bread and butter resource providers provide for very little money they make the thieves still have a cheek to chargeback,

So who's in? </motivational speech> *works in the movies* :D

OK! I took the 1st step.. We now have XFSCAMMER.INFO I'd like to see maybe the project set up under using xF but personally I don't have a spare license. Maybe someone has a spare or we could crowd fund one.. Other suggestions for how to start putting this together are indeed welcome.

License2.webp
Though they wish to remain anonymous. Someone has now donated a spare license for the project

Last edited:
I was in business for 30+ years and fully understand the anger and frustration of theft, competition, protection of territory, etc.

BUT, when I finally got smart and looked back at, every minute I spent getting "even" with bad customers, vendors, competitors, etc. was wasted. It was energy that would have produced more revenue (and happiness) for my companies if I simply forged full speed ahead.

Take it for what it's worth. Revenge may be sweet, but a decent bank balance and financial security is sweeter. This is one reason why very large companies like Amazon, etc. are "no or few questions asked" in the returns department.

My concern for developers is that if they follow the wrong paths and take the wrong advice, they hurt themselves. Speaking for myself, I'd rather sell 200 units and have 10 stolen or returned than sell 100 and pat myself on the back for being so clever.

Again, it's easier to see in the rear view mirror. I now consult (free) for the kids of some of my peers who go into similar businesses and every time they call me with a "I'll get these folks for screwing me" rant, I tell them to forget about it and focus their energies on sales and customer service.

Been there, done that. When my veins were full of piss and vinegar I took a lot of revenge on my competitors...legal and fair, of course. But whether it did me any good? Probably not, except it sometimes made me feel better...
That's good advice.

Your attachment isn't viewable. Are you covered now for costs then? I don't mind chipping in a bit if you need to crowd fund anything.

odd, shows for me. Yeah, looks like were good now cost wise since someone is letting us use a spare license.

I assume it's because it's an attachment you have permission to view (presumably it was in a PM or something to you?) but you pasted it into this thread and none of us have permission to see it.

Nope, I used upload a file -> full image from my desktop

Then why even comment? Why is there a need to let everyone know you won't be participating? In your eyes it may be a "huge waste of time", but for others, it may not be. I just don't understand why it changes anything either way. I hope they do well with the project, and I hope the best for them. I'm not one to tell anyone what is a waste of time and what is not though.

Then why even comment? Why is there a need to let everyone know you won't be participating? In your eyes it may be a "huge waste of time", but for others, it may not be. I just don't understand why it changes anything either way. I hope they do well with the project, and I hope the best for them. I'm not one to tell anyone what is a waste of time and what is not though.

He shared his experience with the matter with the others I assume and gave them an advice. Isn't this part of what forum discussions are for?

Unless you have some magical way of stopping people from dealing in stolen Paypal accounts, nothing will come of it. The reason I get bent out of shape over things like this is it actually ends up hurting my business in the long run rather than helping it. I'll leave it to the detectives here to figure out why that is.

Yes, I do actually. I want developers to continue to put out great add-ons, styles, etc.

As you can see, there are quite a few developers fed up with it. If you don't want anything to do with their "project", don't. Pretty simple. I just didn't see any need for the announcement that you have no interest in it.

Like I said before, you may feel it is a waste of time. However, isn't it up to each individual to decide if it is worth theirs or not?

Yes, I do actually. I want developers to continue to put out great add-ons, styles, etc.

As you can see, there are quite a few developers fed up with it. If you don't want anything to do with their "project", don't. Pretty simple. I just didn't see any need for the announcement that you have no interest in it.

Like I said before, you may feel it is a waste of time. However, isn't it up to each individual to decide if it is worth theirs or not?

The serial pirates who commit the majority of the fraud use different Paypal accounts that have been stolen, and almost always use a proxy to mask their location and to prevent you from catching them with the same information in the future.

You might prevent smaller scammers (and there are a few) but overall you're not going to stop chargebacks or piracy by setting up this database.

The best defense against piracy and chargebacks is a) having your own site with shopping cart, b) manually approve customers, c) check their registration and purchase information for anything that looks off, that if they're using a proxy and that they're not form an area known for piracy and d) verify their XF license. The chargebacks I've had have been because I didn't follow all of those rules, and I was a derp and I'm to blame for not being as pro-active as I usually would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom