zend certification

When a dynamic company (startup style) hires a 'maverick' or a 'guru', obviously certs mean nothing to them, as they only value experience, and a proven track record in 'edgy' developments such as participating in FOSS frameworks, etc.
When a companly like IBM or a recruitment agency hires you, the only thing that will ever matter to the robot recruiter is your Degree and your certs. They probably don't even understand what half of your CV says.

When a dynamic company (startup style) hires a 'maverick' or a 'guru', obviously certs mean nothing to them, as they only value experience, and a proven track record in 'edgy' developments such as participating in FOSS frameworks, etc.
When a companly like IBM or a recruitment agency hires you, the only thing that will ever matter to the robot recruiter is your Degree and your certs. They probably don't even understand what half of your CV says.
Most of those companies hire on experience and and your degree(s), not certs.

Today I have just helped a company interview candidates to hire for an internal web developer possition. While I was offered the job, I simply can not commit to the hours they want me to be in office, so I helped them hire someone.

The top candidate has ECDL and A level IT as his 2 IT based qualifications, with 7 years actual experience in web design and php application work.

The next candidate under him his about 6 years design experience.

We had 2 people come in who has university bachelors in "creative something" to do with art and UI design, but when asked to perform a basic test (A set of images provided with a breif on how to lay them out around a hello world script, with the css file in a directory) they were useless.

The top guy did it in about 1 minute flat, and the second guy not much longer than that.

The univercity guys did it eventually after about 10 minutes, and everything was perfect, but the time it took them was shocking so they most likely wont be offered the job.

Today I have just helped a company interview candidates to hire for an internal web developer possition. While I was offered the job, I simply can not commit to the hours they want me to be in office, so I helped them hire someone.

The top candidate has ECDL and A level IT as his 2 IT based qualifications, with 7 years actual experience in web design and php application work.

The next candidate under him his about 6 years design experience.

We had 2 people come in who has university bachelors in "creative something" to do with art and UI design, but when asked to perform a basic test (A set of images provided with a breif on how to lay them out around a hello world script, with the css file in a directory) they were useless.

The top guy did it in about 1 minute flat, and the second guy not much longer than that.

The univercity guys did it eventually after about 10 minutes, and everything was perfect, but the time it took them was shocking so they most likely wont be offered the job.
A 'creative something' degree to do with "art and UI design" implies they have a design degree. They design pages, but it wasn't part of their program to create the pages. Plus, certifications mean nothing. I don't have a certification in anything, yet I got my development job without a problem and every other person who interviewed for my intern position wouldn't nearly be as good. You're idea of the university degree is flawed seriously here.

A 'creative something' degree to do with "art and UI design" implies they have a design degree. They design pages, but it wasn't part of their program to create the pages. Plus, certifications mean nothing. I don't have a certification in anything, yet I got my development job without a problem and every other person who interviewed for my intern position wouldn't nearly be as good. You're idea of the university degree is flawed seriously here.

You clearly read the whole thing out of context.

It's all relative really, even degrees. Managers usually compile a matrix of desired skills and weight each item given the needs of the department. Normally, it will be your personality that determines whether or not you're hired (given you have the necessary skill sets to do the job.)

Top Bottom