Your workstation desk

Thanks. Ikea got lot of cheap, simple tables. Things is I would have to go to the store in person to check it out. From what I read, Ikea furniture is not build to last.
I've seen that table in store myself. Trust me when I say it's build to last. It uses large bolts, a heavy table and thick metal legs. If I had to guess, the assembled unit weighs anywhere between 175-250 lb. I'm a tall man and when they weren't looking, I hopped onto the table and it held my weight without creaking. You can also head on over to overclock.net and look at their computer room section; they have dozens of threads on furniture.

My IKEA desk... (I upgraded the monitors and seat though)

4172_86440331335_3751297_n.jpg

I've seen that table in store myself. Trust me when I say it's build to last. It uses large bolts, a heavy table and thick metal legs. If I had to guess, the assembled unit weighs anywhere between 175-250 lb. I'm a tall man and when they weren't looking, I hopped onto the table and it held my weight without creaking. You can also head on over to overclock.net and look at their computer room section; they have dozens of threads on furniture.
That scares me a bit. The product page says the package is 61 lbs so I hope the extra 100+ lbs is not a surprise "tall man" in the box ;)
Btw, do you recall how deep is the surface? It says 28 3/8" so it's in the smaller side of the desks I'm looking at 30"+.
I would have a monitor, a MBP laptop, some desk lamp, etc.

That scares me a bit. The product page says the package is 61 lbs so I hope the extra 100+ lbs is not a surprise "tall man" in the box ;)
Btw, do you recall how deep is the surface? It says 28 3/8" so it's in the smaller side of the desks I'm looking at 30"+.
I would have a monitor, a MBP laptop, some desk lamp, etc.
28 3/4" with a length of 55" and a thickness of an inch. The desk surface may be 61 lb, but the legs carry heft. She bought the desk for her husband, IIRC, but I've seen a pic of his setup. 27" monitor, laptop stand with laptop, and two Machkie HR284 studio monitors. The old versions.

xm1E9.jpg

They weigh maybe 45-50 lb each. 1 1/4" isn't going to make any difference for a desk. I'd certainly understand if you're still using CRTs. LCDs may take an inch or two, but if you've moved onto LED monitors, it's going to be about an inch thick. You could also step up to the Galant single or corner desk, if you've got a corner free. My suggestion is to get an idea of how much your room takes, take a trip to Ikea or ask around on Overclock.net.

My glass desk was bought from Ikea, I think. I bought it for around $500 and it hasn't faulted yet, even with heavy monitor (speakers), slamming heavy objects onto it, multiple monitors, etc. Higher end Ikea items last a lifetime.

OK, I'm set on the Ikea Fredrik desk. Was considering picking it up off Craigslist ($50) but considering that I have to rent a pickup/minivan and my time picking up, will just order from ikea directly ;)

Now, I'm looking for a good chair and LED lamp. Any suggestion?

OK, I'm set on the Ikea Fredrik desk. Was considering picking it up off Craigslist ($50) but considering that I have to rent a pickup/minivan and my time picking up, will just order from ikea directly ;)

Now, I'm looking for a good chair and LED lamp. Any suggestion?

What's your budget for either one?

Ugh. I never understood mesh chairs. Even sitting on a Herman Miller Aeron is a painful experience. I use a Softtech LED lamp that supports various kelvins to mimic natural light. I got mine for $165, but you could get it cheaper online. It's outside your price range, but I think they make models in the sub $100 range as well.

Ugh. I never understood mesh chairs. Even sitting on a Herman Miller Aeron is a painful experience. I use a Softtech LED lamp that supports various kelvins to mimic natural light. I got mine for $165, but you could get it cheaper online. It's outside your price range, but I think they make models in the sub $100 range as well.
Thanks buddy,
I just ordered that Softech-natural Light LED Multi-function Desk Lamp White from your advice.
Ordered the Ikea Fredrick table yesterday as well ;)

Now, just finish shopping for a chair and I'm all set for my new work station.

What color did you get the table in? If you don't like the chair and you've got an OfficeMax near you, you can go there too. They carry chairs Office Depot or Staples don't carry. I forgot to mention that those lamps are a dust magnet, so they need to be wiped down every few days. Another note about the Fredrik table, IIRC the metal plating you see attached to the back is for cable management. You can dump your extra cable in there, and the table surface should be like most Ikea tables, in that you can turn it around 180 degrees if you end up scratching one side a lot. The holes should lineup the same.

What color did you get the table in? If you don't like the chair and you've got an OfficeMax near you, you can go there too. They carry chairs Office Depot or Staples don't carry. I forgot to mention that those lamps are a dust magnet, so they need to be wiped down every few days. Another note about the Fredrik table, IIRC the metal plating you see attached to the back is for cable management. You can dump your extra cable in there, and the table surface should be like most Ikea tables, in that you can turn it around 180 degrees if you end up scratching one side a lot. The holes should lineup the same.
Are you serious? You tell me this after I bought it?
J/K. I picked the white for the lamp and light color for the table so the dust does not show up too much.
All of these expense are going to my business expense ;)

Good timing. The desk came today. Took 30 minutes to put it together by myself. It's really strong, stable table which should last me a long time. When I upgrade, I can repurpose this as a dinner table ;)
Here is my little corner. The laptop is a retina MBP which i got a few months ago. The Ikea desk and the new led lamp which I got from Amazon the other day from your recommendation.

The chair is an 10 year old Staples chair. I need a good, comfy chair.

2012-10-18 13.02.19.webp

The birch looks nice. How do you like the lamp? The legs of that table would look better if they came in black instead of what looks like gray?

My messy desk, wires everywhere
I just removed my 10+ year old stereo and swapped it for some bookshelf sized speakers.

Old Stereo - P130213_15.19.webp

Desk with new Microlab speakers - PICT0134.webp

Good timing. The desk came today. Took 30 minutes to put it together by myself. It's really strong, stable table which should last me a long time. When I upgrade, I can repurpose this as a dinner table ;)
Here is my little corner. The laptop is a retina MBP which i got a few months ago. The Ikea desk and the new led lamp which I got from Amazon the other day from your recommendation.

The chair is an 10 year old Staples chair. I need a good, comfy chair.

View attachment 35889
Two cups filled with pencils, and yet no paper... should we be concerned? :cautious:

Top Bottom