Your Thoughts On This Design?

Sir nick

Hello XenForo :),

I'd like to get your thoughts on our new site design. RATE/HATE :P (Note: This is a designers copy :p)

preview (1).webp

It doesn't look too bad overall, everything looks a little large and the use of whitespace isn't being handled too well in my opinion.

I do, however like how the noob, mediocre and pro buy now boxes were designed!

Overall it seems as though its a little crammed, big, and has a lot of different colors - which isn't necessarily bad, just hard to pull off.

I like everything but that big fat red ribbon. YUCK! It's so bright and out of place, that it draws your eyes to it and away from the content. If you must use that image,
puleeaase change the color. Something that actually coordinates with the other colors.

I will say, though, that I like the layout, and the other colors.

:)

I like everything but that big fat red ribbon. YUCK! It's so bright and out of place, that it draws your eyes to it and away from the content. If you must use that image,
puleeaase change the color. Something that actually coordinates with the other colors.

I will say, though, that I like the layout, and the other colors.

I do see what you mean I came back and started looking and I couldn't get my eyes off the red ribbon :p

Goodness, a lot going on in there... some very good ideas, but too many different ideas.

I like the boxes with the plans the best, and would go with that look overall, it is so different to the usual glossy slick hosting site with the ubiquitious flash server rack header.... I love that retro feel of those boxes, far far more than any of the other elements which really do not work together at all.

I would work on making the rest of the design fit with those cool retro boxes myself.

Ribbon kills me dead. It's like an MS office ribbon that you get with word or something. Plus it's out of place, ribbons are used in graduations, celebrations not really anything to do with server hosting or climbing.

As Kim said, the bottom bit looks fine, it all needs to be wrapped around that element of design for it to work.

Yea the plans. They are the most important information. Much more important than the slide show. Don't make your visitor scroll down to see the plans.

Wrong colour for ribbon, might look fine a different colour, just not red. Other than that, looks perfectly decent enough to me.

I like the overall design, but parts of it seems off...

I can't point my finger on it. Is it the color choice, is it the whitespace, is it that the consistency isn't there...?

But I do like where the twitter feed is placed - not too many sites do that - most of them have to be on the page, or in a script that follows when you scroll down, and its placed on the bottom [you see a lot of that in gaming sites] - basically I'm saying I like the look, and idea.

I would suggest picking a color theme and using it. I am just learning designs myself but I can recognize there is too many colors used.

It also seems there are too many styles of objects. For example some boxes have a border, others dont. Some have an outer border, while others have an inner border. I would suggest establishing some consistency.

I do like several ideas, it's just the putting it all together part that seems off to me.

I like it. As for the ribbon, yes it's quite bright, but isn't that the point, to take your eyes down to the key products?

Something else that occurs to me about that ribbon too - have you noticed the "fad" at the moment for this type of ribbon on web designs (especially Wordpress themes) where it goes slightly off the web page and into the background - quite often used for menu bar backgrounds? I think it is being over done now.

How about instead of a ribbon, something associated with climbing or mountains? Rope, rocks, scenery, climbing equipment. Or, as it is above the mountains below (for the products), clouds?

Innovation my friend :p
LOL. I applaud originality, believe me. But...

First - The facts of the web-o-sphere: In the world of the ultra-ADD afflicted web surfers, pandering to the lowest level of the senses is what works in the fraction of a second you have before they click the "back" button. That ribbon and design does not imply web hosting and I'm willing to bet it is from a template that provides special offers for tangible goods. The user has to say "oh wait, I'm in the right place, hanging here for a sec... OK, that's cute and original." Good luck getting there.

Second - Above the fold is prime real estate: It's not reserved for blah and it had better be filled with special hosting offers instead of the usual crappy fluff. Look at #3.

Third - Identify with your audience: Who? Probably mostly guys, tech geeks who have some clue about webhosting and websites. Put a ribbon on there (which is not slick, cool or what these guys are used to seeing when perusing hosting sites) and their first impression might be that you're some small shop trying to look cute. I get what you're trying to do but how many webmasters at WHT are going to take you seriously with that? A while ago I realized that you want to create a differentiation point. However, you don't want to be so "clever" where the result is turning away business because "those darn stupid people just didn't get my brilliantly cute branding", as frustrating as that may be.

Anyways, just IMHO. I could be totally wrong on this but I think that my feel is pretty good on this one. If you want to do the Tex Mex feel then get rid of the ribbon, get a good logo and match the colors to get a slicker hosting design that says "we hail from 'zona or the like...

the design itself is wonderful(y)
my only doubt is - hosting customers look for a reliable serious data keeper, the style is not of that opera.. what do you think?

Top Bottom