1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You sure we're in a recession?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by grant sarver, Nov 1, 2011.

1. grant sarver

grant sarver Well-Known Member

2. iTuN3r

iTuN3r Well-Known Member

3. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

4. Edrondol

Edrondol Well-Known Member

We spent $50 on candy. No, we couldn't really afford it. But it lets us sit outside by a fire and make the neighborhood kids happy. So it's worth it to us.

(Spent $0 on costumes or decorations.)
    wickedstangs and Steve F like this.
  5. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Good.. at least you're spending on something!

Hopefully some of it was even on American produced products.
  6. Edrondol

I could give a **** where something is produced. If an American company made it, it's affordable and good quality then I'll buy it.

Why the sudden shift to jingoism?
  7. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

I wasn't referring to you in particular.. more your nation, glad to hear you collectively were out and about spending, not something I understand has been happening a lot recently.. it might indicate consumer confidence is on the rise.. something that would be a good thing.

Jingoism lol erm no.
  8. Edrondol

Gotcha. Sorry about the assumption. I've been dealing with a few people in the last few days that are religious conservatives and the way they talk about "Buyin' 'Murrican!" sounded amazingly like your post. :oops:

My bad.
  9. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

James likes this.
  10. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

lol no probs.. BTW I am not American, nor religious, nor particularly parochial, but I do think supporting one's own industries where possible is a good thing :)
    Kevin, SchmitzIT and jmurrayhead like this.
  11. Ranger375

Ranger375 Well-Known Member

I turned off my lights :D
    Kim likes this.
  12. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

I have lots of stairs, no one going to ring this doorbell!
  13. Ranger375

Ranger375 Well-Known Member

Same here! Plus the dogs go nuts :D
  14. Jaxel

Jaxel Well-Known Member

15. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Well-Known Member

I think houses like the one above might be skewing the data.
    DaveL, Lucas and James like this.
  16. James

James Well-Known Member

That is an awesome house though.
  17. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I'd hate to be their neighbour :D
  18. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

That doesn't even take into account how much will be spent on by people like me some people who take advantage of the day after Halloween to pick up the candy on sale. What is really odd is going into a super market and seeing something like a bag of Kit Kats with Halloween packaging on the shelf next to a bag of Kit Hats with Christmas packaging and the price of the Halloween themed bag is 50% reduced.
  19. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Lately I've been paying more attention to where some of it is made. Hershey Chocolate, a pretty well known US manufacturer, seems to be increasing the amount of products imported in from Mexico. Hershey is so well recognizable as a US brand, plus I am located within driving distance of Hershey, PA (yes, there is an entire town that was created as a result of the original Hershey plant), that seeing imported Hershey products on local shelves is just depressing.
    Kim and Brandon Sheley like this.
  20. jonsidneyb

jonsidneyb Well-Known Member

I like your avatar picture.