XF 2.1 Yet another usergroup promotion question

_Al

Excuse me coming off nightshifts but I'm struggling with user permissions. I'll try and explain what I've done and what I'm trying to do.

I've edited the standard usergroup for registered members to be 'New Member'. I understand these groups are hardcoded and should not be messed with. Any new registrations go into this group.

I've added a new user group 'Forum Member' for new members to be promoted into after five posts and three days.

I changed the Display styling priority so that Forum Member is higher than New Member.

I ran the "rebuild user group promotions" cache in tools promoting all users to the Forum Member group.

All promoted members retain 'New Member' as their primary User Group and have 'Forum Member' ticked in their Secondary user groups as shown:

usergroup.webp

FIRST QUESTION: Is this how it should be or should the primary User group change?

=====================

Next I wish to give those promoted members access to a node with two additional forums which are hidden from new users and guests (off topic so hidden to assist with SEO).

User group permissions do not appear to give me per-node/forum options so I have accessed Node permissions. I have selected the off topic section and chosen 'No' for General Permissions as shown:

node.webp

However, both New Members and Forum Members are denied access. Assumedly because they still have 'New Member' as a default user group.

SECOND QUESTION: What do I do? How do I fix it? (that's two questions) Please and thank you very much.

I'm going to go to bed now before my brain melts. x

FIRST QUESTION: Is this how it should be or should the primary User group change?
Yes, it should be like that. Always keep Registered (or however you rename it) as primary.

SECOND QUESTION: What do I do? How do I fix it? (that's two questions) Please and thank you very much.
Node permissions for Forum Member usergroup:

Screenshot 2020-06-26 at 11.22.14.png

Yes overrides no, (but be careful, never overrides yes)

Anaylse permissions is a great tool to check what individual users can see both generally and with custom permission nodes, based on their usergroup

Reactions: _Al
By that rationale, the New Member group should have No as default access and the promotion to Forum Member will override that No?
Yes, like you have it above (applies to whatever forums you want to deny them.

Note that it can be useful to allow them to view the node but not the content. If they can't view the node they don't even know it exists because it's not in the forum list. But if they view the node but not content, they see the node but it is like a teaser until they get promoted.

So for example with this they can see the forum exists, they can click on it and see all the enticing interesting thread titles, but cannot yet read the threads.

Screenshot 2020-06-26 at 11.52.15.png

But the promoted group is this:

Screenshot 2020-06-26 at 11.53.57.webp

Reactions: _Al
That looks to have fixed it. Legendary! New Members set all to No for view node and then Yes for the nodes I wish them to see before being promoted. The promotion and default Yes node view overrides that No. Christ, this makes my head spin. THANK YOU.

Top Bottom