Yes, another one worried

ToDie4

I am the Minister of Acock Implex, we are merely and on-line Church as our financiers backed out of the construction of our actual Church. I have set-up the Church using the vbulletin 4 platform as I have used this for Skin design for some time now. Some of you may know of some of my work as released on my behalf by Eidolon, ChaosBurnt, Karl Hetteridge and of course the late Alice Howard. I am now releasing my own work as free resources through our Church, they would become xenforo resources should I come over.

I can honestly say that I am not entirely happy with vbulletin 4 as a solution for our Church, it has some nice features as standard but it feels, I don't know, clumsy somehow, and the shall we say 'mood' of the central vbulletin site is very unpleasant indeed. I have known of xenforo for a while now as the late Alice Howard was one of our tenants before she passed away, she was trying to talk me into using xenforo for the Church back then. I am not a wealthy man, raising money for the license is going to go hard on me and mine and we do not accept any form of donations through the Church, we are not about making money from those in need.

I used vbulletin 4 because the license was already valid, it was donated to us by Alice actually, but as I say, I am not entirely happy with it as the platform for our Church. I have been wandering around on this site seeing how the xenforo platform functions and I must say I am very impressed, it feels super modern and very sleek. There is this business with a court case which troubles me quite a bit, raising money for this license will require my selling off a great many of my personal belongings to raise the funds. I am loathe to do this if I am going to find my license null and void due to xenforo losing this court case.

Can someone in authority here tell me honestly if there is much of a chance of my losing my investment here. I realise $140 may seem a drop in the ocean to many but I live my life using and attaining as little money as possible, owning money makes me feel spiritually dirty to be quite truthful. I don't have many possessions either, so selling what I have to buy xenforo will really come hard, so you see my concerns are quite something from my perspective.

Please, if members here are tempted to reply giving me their opinions about my situation, I do welcome them but I would ask you to be reticent if your choice is to be rude or abrasive, I am simply seeking 'genuine' words of comfort from those in the know.

If you purchase your XenForo license you will showing a greedy billion dollar company (Internet Brands) that you support XenForo for a start.

I don't know too much about the current court cases between Internet Brands (vBulletin) and XenForo because I don't wish for Internet Brands to poison my beliefs in XenForo and its developers. I know Internet Brands is an evil and greedy corporation that buys out businesses purely to squeeze as much money out of them as possible while neglecting the feelings of their customers.

If you do decide to purchase XenForo and if worst comes to shove (XenForo loses the case), you will still be able to fully use the forum software and I truly believe the community here itself would maintain it as a team. However, that said... it is unlikely XenForo will lose this case as Kier, Mike and Ashley have done nothing wrong, it's quite clear that XenForo has been built up from the ground and not property of Internet Brands as they (IB) claim.

So, in my opinion... go for it. You'll not only be getting an awesome piece of software but you'll also be standing up against greedy corporations where their only concern is money and pleasing their shareholders.

Rather than just completely rewrite what I said, I'll merely link you to a post I wrote to someone with similar concernes:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/current-litigation.7568/page-26#post-156255
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/current-litigation.7568/page-26#post-156263

As it stands, there is a lot of us who have already made the move and are using XF or are in the process of launching sites to use it (I'm in the latter group). The important thing here is functionality and what you think your site needs. I don't mean to shove you off to IPS, but if their software covers more of a job better than what XF can provide out of the box for you at this time, I'd say go for that. Otherwise if you think XF can do the job (and if you've seen add-ons that can do the job for you), I'd say go to this.

No one here can tell you 100% guaranteed things will go smoothly but overall I'd say there's a pretty good chance. Then again, nothing is 100% guaranteed, regardless of lawsuits or anything else that is going on. However, since the trials (if they do make it all the way to court) is months away, it really comes down to making the choice now or really idling for months on the fence, or going with something else sub-par and end up not liking while waiting for things to be cleared out legal-wise.

Still, I can't imagine any reason why, if you already purchased and downloaded, you'd feel you might lose it. No one is going to go into your server and remove it, nor can I see anyone forcing you to remove the software. :)

Well, thank you very much for the responses, you have all helped me to make my final decision.

I made off to the local pawn shop and sold my fathers silver personal grooming kit, I got enough money to purchase xenforo and a nice little bag of Columbian coffee.

I have purchased xenforo and I am currently drinking a rather splendid mug of delicious Columbian coffee.

To blazes with fat cat corporations, Vive La xenforo.

Welcome to the forum, great thread, I admire your spirit !!

Well, thank you very much for the responses, you have all helped me to make my final decision.

I made off to the local pawn shop and sold my fathers silver personal grooming kit, I got enough money to purchase xenforo and a nice little bag of Columbian coffee.

I have purchased xenforo and I am currently drinking a rather splendid mug of delicious Columbian coffee.

To blazes with fat cat corporations, Vive La xenforo.

Welcome to Xenforo!

Has Alice passed away? She was active here 6 or so months ago but hasn't been back that I know of so this would be sad news if I understand you correctly.

I am sorry to say she has, I do not feel comfortable going into too much detail, I can tell you as much, Alice lived with my wife and I after her last relationship fell to pieces, she never really recovered from that, she was suffering with a terrible depression. She had fallen in love with some fellah, the way she talked about him you would think he was an angel, her feelings for him were helping her tremendously, oddly she never told us who he was. Suddenly out of nowhere Alice broke down into tears, she cried solid on and off for 3 days, then she went out for a walk and never came back. I know she loved being here, which is a very strong reason for my being here truth be told.

I am sorry to say she has, I do not feel comfortable going into too much detail, I can tell you as much, Alice lived with my wife and I after her last relationship fell to pieces, she never really recovered from that, she was suffering with a terrible depression. She had fallen in love with some fellah, the way she talked about him you would think he was an angel, her feelings for him were helping her tremendously, oddly she never told us who he was. Suddenly out of nowhere Alice broke down into tears, she cried solid on and off for 3 days, then she went out for a walk and never came back. I know she loved being here, which is a very strong reason for my being her truth be told.
That is very sad to hear :(

I am sorry to say she has, I do not feel comfortable going into too much detail, I can tell you as much, Alice lived with my wife and I after her last relationship fell to pieces, she never really recovered from that, she was suffering with a terrible depression. She had fallen in love with some fellah, the way she talked about him you would think he was an angel, her feelings for him were helping her tremendously, oddly she never told us who he was. Suddenly out of nowhere Alice broke down into tears, she cried solid on and off for 3 days, then she went out for a walk and never came back. I know she loved being here, which is a very strong reason for my being here truth be told.
That is indeed very sad to hear. She had a young daughter if I remember correctly? Hope she is doing okay.

Top Bottom