.xyz TLD

I don't think it matters. For example, mine is *.pro, I have it for few years, and it works perfectly.
The hosting is what it matters, I suppose.

The 3 words (so-called premium) names on that TDL have a HUGE prize. Back few years I was thinking to invest in one of those names... on that time I found a 3 words name who was $$$, last year when I check that domain was $$$$. To bad by that time didn't have money to get it.

I recently looked at the .forum tld. But have you seen the prices for those tld's :censored:
$300 from Namecheap... and honestly, more people are familiar and default to trying to type COM/NET/ORG than the other esoteric TLD's.
I went ahead and registered DSO.PHOTO for my site... as it's also "sorta" on topic... but I really don't see paying that extra for a .forum TLD when most would probably use the .COM and I have to have both registered... :rolleyes:

Hey there, using .xyz is actually really popular. Nickelodeon, Chipotle, Paramount pictures are all using it. Square, Inc changed over to Block.xyz. It's got traction in the aftermarket too - check namebio sales.

It really all depends as a lot of people who are used to the natural .com .net or geographic ones such as .co.uk .eu etc. I personally would always opt for a .com or .net domain just because that's what the vast majority of people are used to.

I use .uk for my site and it works fine, short and snappy.
Yeah, we use a .ca and since our scope is primarily our own country, works fine for me.

There is a company that I am doing a project with at work that uses .xyz for their web apps but I am not sure why offhand. I'd have to ask.

For my blog I use the .US TLD.... works fine and no need for a anything else..
I think still most people are used to the old TLD's when they are typing it in... but if using a bookmark/link most probably don't even pay attention to the domain extension.

Yeah, what's so valuable about them?
The registrar is trying to get their money back.

The way the system works, you have to pay to play to be a registrar of a domain; the entry fee starts at $185,000 if I remember correctly (it's been a while since I looked up the entry requirements for registering a new gTLD) and if it's competitive, it goes up from there to acquire the bidding rights.

Once you get the TLD approved, you are its registrar and you can offer terms to other resellers (a la GoDaddy or Namecheap) or be the only accredited seller. When it's all yours you can set the price and terms for it - the crowd behind .forum seems to be a relatively new entry into the field and wants to get their money back by going for the 'lower demand but higher price' angle on it. At least, that's my theory on the subject.

@Arantor Could be trying to get their money back, but pricing themselves right out of the market is a terrible way to do it. Given all "forums are dying" discussions here and in other places, it's not like people are rushing out to create forums nowadays, so who do they expect their market to be? I haven't come across a single .forum website. Of course, they must exist, but must be pretty rare or I'd encounter them without even trying through my regular Google searches and people would be linking to them too.

Last edited:
I think partially that's because .forum didn't reach general availability until last year or so - it was sat in the approval process for years - so it's not like there's been that much time for them to be in use.

But I think the reality is that the target market isn't really the hobbyists, in the same way that some vendors have identified that the future growth market for forum systems is the corporate market, providing support forums and community systems for customer support and so on.

The target market isn't us. It's the kind of people who will pony up for something like Khoros - and I've literally never seen one of those in the wild, but they're out there. Somewhere.

Top Bottom