xxx is following you

I think what's needed is two options in the user cp:

1) Stop ANYONE from following you.
2) Remove someone who is following you but still allow others to follow you.

Otherwise some sites (mine included) are going to have problems with this feature.
I don't like it that people can stalk me around.
Since your posts are public anyways, what difference does it make? Just because they're following you doesn't necessarily mean they're stalking you. They may simply find your posts interesting, or have some other reason to keep tabs on your posts.

I just don't see the point in adding in "block from following me" functionality when if I really wanted to stalk you, I could simply go to your profile and see all of your posts in one list. It's nothing more than bloat in terms of more options and settings to potentially confuse users.

Since your posts are public anyways, what difference does it make? Just because they're following you doesn't necessarily mean they're stalking you. They may simply find your posts interesting, or have some other reason to keep tabs on your posts.

I just don't see the point in adding in "block from following me" functionality when if I really wanted to stalk you, I could simply go to your profile and see all of your posts in one list. It's nothing more than bloat in terms of more options and settings to potentially confuse users.
The fact that it actually updates you whenever I post (or like someone, or.. etc) makes is stalky. Yes, if you really want to, you can find all my posts. However, you won't be updated on every move I make, and you actually have to look for it. It's not that big a deal, I just don't see why people should do it.

It isn't about me personally, or even us as admins. It's about what our members will say, and I can guarantee this is going to come up again and again.

We must not fall into the trap of telling our members what they need to put up with - because they will simply move to Facebook, as countless thousands already have.

There is a privacy setting for this though. You can actually completely disable people from receiving your news feed/viewing your recent activity, or you can limit it.

The following-related privacy value only allows people that you follow to get access to that feature. If they follow you, that doesn't do anything.

There is a privacy setting for this though. You can actually completely disable people from receiving your news feed/viewing your recent activity, or you can limit it.

The following-related privacy value only allows people that you follow to get access to that feature. If they follow you, that doesn't do anything.
I can understand it when privacy functions allow you to limit content to friends / contacts, but thats something different than the people I follow. I could be following people I dont like and do not want them to follow me.

Why would you follow people you don't like?
Surely what's good for you is good for them?
The fact that someones writing interests me, does not imply that I like or trust the person enough to give permission to follow me.

We also need privacy settings for profile information. If this is also based upon followers, then my argument will become more clear. Some details, information, pictures are things you'd want to share with close friends. Not someone you don't know, but happen to follow his/her writings.

For example: I have 'friends' on my site that I would share certain information with. I also see interesting newbies on my site, that I keep an eye on. The latter I would follow. I would certainly not want to give them permission to see inner circle content.

The fact that someones writing interests me, does not imply that I like or trust the person enough to give permission to follow me.

We also need privacy settings for profile information. If this is also based upon followers, then my argument will become more clear. Some details, information, pictures are things you'd want to share with close friends. Not someone you don't know, but happen to follow his/her writings.

For example: I have 'friends' on my site that I would share certain information with. I also see interesting newbies on my site, that I keep an eye on. The latter I would follow. I would certainly not want to give them permission to see inner circle content.
That's why I like the "Friends" concept versus the Followers concept. With Friends it has to be a two way street. Followers it isn't, you can follow whoever you want to follow. Friends, you have to have permission to be friends. 

That's why I like the "Friends" concept versus the Followers concept. With Friends it has to be a two way street. Followers it isn't, you can follow whoever you want to follow. Friends, you have to have permission to be friends.

I raised the stalky thing ages ago and got shouted down. Glad to see it back again.
I think there need to be several levels.

Fs Followers. (Free to track public behaviour and see public stats on Profile)
AFs Authorised Followers + have access to my full profile page).
MFs Mutual Followers (Mutually authorised both ways)

Well, Ive picked up a few stalkers :D

Paul do you usually like being followed about?By aggressive drunks perhaps?
On dark streets? When you're alone? Even better when you've twisted your ankle and can't run?

Do you feel good about your sister, your gran or your little kid brother being followed about?

Stalking is no joke. It wrecks lives.

Paul do you usually like being followed about?By aggressive drunks perhaps?
On dark streets? When you're alone? Even better when you've twisted your ankle and can't run?

Do you feel good about your sister, your gran or your little kid brother being followed about?

Stalking is no joke. It wrecks lives.
Somehow people have the mindset that following people on a website like twitter is the direct equivalent to what you just described which it really isn't.

There is a big difference between Stalking someone and Following someone (following wrt to how it is implemented here).

If someone follows you, you are alerted that user xxxxxxx is following you. That user is most likely interested in what you are posting, or your status updates, or they actually like and respect you. You can also see your list of followers in your profile.

IMO, if someone is actually stalking you online, you won't know it. They will just search for your posts constantly, and consistently view your profile, and with a user name you would probably not be already familiar with, so if they decided to follow you, you won't recognize the person/name anyways. And if you are being "stalked", the person would have already searched your user name in every search engine available and joined every other place you have joined, and with different user names so that you can not connect the dots. That is stalking someone on the internet.

Following someone on a (a, as in singular) forum is not stalking by any definition.

Top Bottom