1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xxx is following you

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Paul M, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

Forum stalkers ? A merger with twitter ?

What exactly does it mean when someone "follows" you here ?

2. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

3. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

Ah, interesting. Thanks.

4. Lawrence

Lawrence Well-Known Member

When you hover over your user name in the menu bar, a pop up will appear with a link to Your News Feed. It contains recent activities of the people you decided to follow. It is a very easy way to find their posts, if they liked a post, etc.

5. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Everyone should follow Paul. : )

6. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

*follows*

Dean likes this.
  7. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Same thing it means on FB, pretty much.

Mikey likes this.
  8. Lucas

Lucas Well-Known Member

You mean the "XXX is stalking you" feature? It's just for stalkers to want to see every public move you make on the forums you frequent. :D

9. Floris

Floris Guest

It's not so much about stalking, as staying in touch with your friends, see what they are doing (on the board).

I don't want to go to MSN, etc and tell others I am here or there, and posting this and that. I can leave it to their discretion.

10. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

but if you have your profile-page disabled, nobody can see your newsfeed, Floris......

11. Floris

Floris Guest

Then they should follow me :D

12. Mark.B

Mark.B Well-Known Member

Is there a way, if someone is following you and you don't want them to, for you to remove that person from your followers list?

Shanj and erich37 like this.
  13. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member

Personally I like the word "friend" better but that is my preference. I can see where the word "follow" came about but it does sound like someone is stalking you. 

Dragonfly, Shanj and Doctor like this.
  14. Sador

Sador Well-Known Member

It's more like stalking. :p

15. James

James Well-Known Member

I was wondering this too. If I don't want someone to follow me then I'd like to be able to prevent them from doing so.
    I remember Kier's post about The Ultimate Modern Insult and I'm guessing a lot of things discussed in that article were considered in the making of XenForo.

The follow feature is good but I think an option to prevent people following you (in general - perhaps an option "Allow visitors to follow you" - is this the Receive your news feed: option?) but we also need to be able to stop individuals following us, for privacy's sake. If I have my profile set to people who're following me and anyone can follow me without me approving/disproving then I am afraid having my profile set to followers only isn't as effective.

16. Jason

Jason Well-Known Member

I do too, but it doesn't seem like it would be appropriate in this context since "friend" sort of implies a mutual connection. I can follow someone without them having to follow me in return.

17. Mark.B

Mark.B Well-Known Member

I think what's needed is two options in the user cp:

1) Stop ANYONE from following you.
    2) Remove someone who is following you but still allow others to follow you.

Otherwise some sites (mine included) are going to have problems with this feature.

Shanj and James like this.
  18. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

A 'follower' can view posts that are already public. Does it do anything else?

kkm323 likes this.
  19. Sador

Sador Well-Known Member

I don't like it that people can stalk me around.

20. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Not as far as I can tell.

It's the same content as on Everyone's News Feed, just filtered to the people you follow in Your News Feed.