xPortal

Cupara

I am currently working on my portal add-on.

So far here is the list of features:
  • News and News Archive selection for display in block
  • Ability to add new block manually, working on a more automated featured
  • Mod and admin menu blocks
  • Welcome message for those new to the site, can be customized through one single phrase
  • Latest Threads block (instructions for creating a new latest thread block will be included)
  • Displays as Home tab and breadcrumb displays as Home>Portal
  • Ability to turn blocks on or off via admin panel
I am looking for others to suggest features. I have given a run down of blocks that will exist and other aspects that will be included. So not sure what else to add but I will have the first release of beta ready by mid week so get those feature suggestions in.

Preview: xportal.webp

Before anyone suggests a Poll block I'm not too sure that is even popular anymore but if there is a lot of feedback for one I may add one before beta release.

Very nice one. Looking forward to it. I would like to see a poll aswell.

Popular Threads/Latest Posts is a must for me :), also the ability to potentially add pages using layouts would be a plus as well, it sounds like you're approaching it as a stand-alone portal but what will you do different to stand out from say Jaxel's portal? Looking forward to updates Steve :)

I could possibly do Popular Threads/Latest Posts. Adding pages should be handled through XF and then they be added to the navigation block automatically.

Jaxel's includes a Wiki for many features, I have no intention of including a Wiki as well mine has the Home tab set as Portal but will require a small edit by users since they have not included a means to edit the home link for portals.

Looks good. Just hope latest threads/posts are based on permission.
It would be nice if it the url would appear as if it was in the root or at least the forum directory.
Not /portal.
Good luck!

I did some messing around to see if it was possible to replace the default controller with something else. It's definitely not perfect (Forums in header wouldn't work), but here's an example:
PHP:
    XenForo_CodeEvent::fire('front_controller_pre_dispatch', array($this, &$routeMatch));
    if ( $routeMatch->getControllerName() == 'XenForo_ControllerPublic_Index' )
    {
        $routeMatch->setControllerName('Test_ControllerPublic_Portal');
    }
    else if ( $this->getRequest()->getParam('_origRoutePath') == 'boards' )
    {
        $router = new XenForo_Router();
        $routeMatch = $router->getRouteMatch('XenForo_ControllerPublic_Index', 'index', 'forums');
    }
This would go into the front_controller_pre_dispatch hook of course, I was just tossing it into the code for quick testing. Basically I'm intercepting the default public index controller and replacing it with something else. If the URL is "boards" it uses the normal index controller. There's probably a better way (admin.php?boards would break with this too), but I don't have a ton of time to search for one right now.

I did some messing around to see if it was possible to replace the default controller with something else. It's definitely not perfect (Forums in header wouldn't work), but here's an example:
PHP:
    XenForo_CodeEvent::fire('front_controller_pre_dispatch', array($this, &$routeMatch));
    {
    }
    {
        $routeMatch = $router->getRouteMatch('XenForo_ControllerPublic_Index', 'index', 'forums');
    }
This would go into the front_controller_pre_dispatch hook of course, I was just tossing it into the code for quick testing. Basically I'm intercepting the default public index controller and replacing it with something else. If the URL is "boards" it uses the normal index controller. There's probably a better way (admin.php?boards would break with this too), but I don't have a ton of time to search for one right now.
I did the same a while ago (in prep for my site I plan on doing). I basically did the same but defined a new route prefix.

Looks good. Just hope latest threads/posts are based on permission.
It would be nice if it the url would appear as if it was in the root or at least the forum directory.
Not /portal.
Good luck!
At this time I have not discovered a way to make that possible. Now with Latest Threads/Post being based on permission, how do you mean based on permissions? I can only assume that threads from private forums are not shown to those without access. If that is the case then yes I plan to implement that portion before beta release.

PHP:
    {
    }
    {
    }
Thanks I will give it a go tomorrow.

I did the same a while ago (in prep for my site I plan on doing). I basically did the same but defined a new route prefix.
Thanks for the info KK, I may look for doing a new route prefix.

Can we also have atleast 3-4 different blocks for Latest Threads for each assigned categories it would make things easier for me ..The Project i am working on requires similar functions i was planning to use WP but after i saw your post i had to change my mind i am pretty sure you will come up with some better things :)

When are you planning to release it ?

I'm planning a release late this week.

Right now I have 3 blocks setup for various latest threads from forums that the admin chooses.

Update: I have been working with the poll block but it will take me a bit longer so I will hold off on a poll block until I have released the first beta.

Q1: This looks like a great addon, when will it be ready?
Q2: Will the portal work under the home folder if the forum is in another folder?

EG

Home - http://mysite.com (your portal addon here grabbing data from the /forum/ folder)
Forum - http://mysite.com/forum/

I'm gonna take whatever I like in your mod... STEAL IT! and then put it in my own mod...

=P
LOL

Q1: This looks like a great addon, when will it be ready?
Q2: Will the portal work under the home folder if the forum is in another folder?

EG

Home - http://mysite.com (your portal addon here grabbing data from the /forum/ folder)
Forum - http://mysite.com/forum/
Q1: Please refer to this post: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xportal.8474/#post-117093
Q2: That is a feature that I will work on once I have base features ready to go.

Top Bottom