XF's greatest flaw...Skins.

Vicros

The skinning department. One of the best XF skinners was/is Ehren from IPBFS and he has left XF. The other was Forsaken. Where are all of the XF skinners at? Most of these skins are horrid and plain. We need better skinners to help with this thing. I was going to but im not in that game anymore and dont have time for it, we need someone to pick up the slack.

I have the same exact issue with XF. I love everything about this software, but the skins to choose from for a reasonable price are close to none. There are a few to pick from, but not enough imo. I've been thinking this since I first bought a license last year, and it really hasn't gotten any better :/

I stopped caring about skins period after I finished converting my site over from vBulletin 4. *shrugs

It's not hard to make your own style, everything in templates is very clear and you can do wonders with some CSS alone. Also the base template is a very good starting point.
XenForo on average needs a higher level of knowledge to get the best out of it than other solutions, it is very powerful in the right hands but probably not for people that likes "install and forget".

The skinning department. One of the best XF skinners was/is Ehren from IPBFS and he has left XF. The other was Forsaken. Where are all of the XF skinners at? Most of these skins are horrid and plain. We need better skinners to help with this thing. I was going to but im not in that game anymore and dont have time for it, we need someone to pick up the slack.

When did Ehren "leave XF"?

There are a great many stylists for XenForo; most of them do not do free work.

Many of them do not even do much paid work any longer, or if they do they do it for special clients only.

Examples of bad skins? Perhaps if you feel so strongly the standard of skins are not up to your expectations you should come out of retirement and make time in bring styles to xenforo. I'll be honest I have about 15 - 20 custom styles on my HD ready for release but I'll probably release them when hell freezes over.

I have a dark style that I may consider releasing when I see a little more commitment from the developers or #whenhellfreezesover whichever comes first.

Examples of bad skins? Perhaps if you feel so strongly the standard of skins are not up to your expectations you should come out of retirement and make time in bring styles to xenforo. I'll be honest I have about 15 - 20 custom styles on my HD ready for release but I'll probably release them when hell freezes over.

I have a dark style that I may consider releasing when I see a little more commitment from the developers or #whenhellfreezesover whichever comes first.

This is not meant to push the flames of the controversies here....just an honest question.

If you have these styles ready, why not release them? Seems to me that you can only gain on this as no matter what, the current version of XF works just fine. Just curious.

This is not meant to push the flames of the controversies here....just an honest question.

If you have these styles ready, why not release them? Seems to me that you can only gain on this as no matter what, the current version of XF works just fine. Just curious.
She doesn't want to support them, which is actually a pretty good reason.

The cost of styles (If paid) doesn't really cover supporting them, especially if you get users who don't think before they do things. For free styles it's even worse because you don't get paid for them :p.

Unless he "quit" in the last few days he's still involved with Xenfocus.

He's kinda pulled a KAM

As mentioned in another topic, there is such a high demand for my IPB skins at the moment that it would be a shame to knock back all of those clients in an attempt to build a large xenforo community. I have enough experience with IPB to make almost any skin, but my xenforo knowledge is still pretty limited (as is the skinning system).

While he hasn't "quit" he just isn't doing it any more.

I know right. It's WAAAAAYYYY EASIER to skin xenforo than any other forum software I've used.
Exactly. Skins are some of the greatest advantages of XF, and I haven't seen ANY software: VB let alone IPB, give as much power to the individual designer as I've had in XF.

I can't speak for Ehren, but he was just one, of two developers working on Xenfocus. As he admitted he was never entirely into XF, and on the other hand, all of Xenfocus styles have been updated to XF's 1.1.3 when it came out, meaning that it's under current active support. Seems pretty good to me.

Sometimes, trolls are funny or at least interesting. Other times, I think they suck. The funny ones- well, you know because you laugh or chuckle. The ones that suck? You know them because they do one or more of several things:

1) Take a some fact or evidence and then stretch it as far as possible to make an extreme point.
2) Make strawman, Aunt Sally, or other arguments that are logical fallacies in support of their position(s).
3) Have nothing useful to offer and make ad hominem attacks.
4) Feel neglected if no one pays attention to them or their irrelevant or sad attacks.
5) Have never contributed anything helpful to anyone on the site they are posting on.

Top Bottom