XFHost vs XFHosting

I've been looking into web hosts for a new board and see XFHost mentioned a great deal around here.. I also see that it was sold and appears to have gone into decline ever since.. I'm looking at another company named XFHosting and I see a board member using that tag every so often.. I'm trying to sort out who's who... are XFHost and XFHosting related in any way? Is there a representative here from XFHosting? is it the same guy that started and sold XFHost?

These like names are making my head spin, I'm hoping someone can clarify some of this for me.. or even I'd love to hear from people using XFHosting, if they are satisfied etc.. it's difficult looking for reviews because of the similar naming..

any help appreciated..
Deborah

I've been looking into web hosts for a new board and see XFHost mentioned a great deal around here.. I also see that it was sold and appears to have gone into decline ever since.. I'm looking at another company named XFHosting and I see a board member using that tag every so often.. I'm trying to sort out who's who... are XFHost and XFHosting related in any way? Is there a representative here from XFHosting? is it the same guy that started and sold XFHost?

These like names are making my head spin, I'm hoping someone can clarify some of this for me.. or even I'd love to hear from people using XFHosting, if they are satisfied etc.. it's difficult looking for reviews because of the similar naming..

any help appreciated..
Deborah

XFHost used to be owned by @Mike Edge but it got acquired by another company. (From what I recall)

Xfhosting is a new venture which is owned by @Mike Edge

@Mike Edge has a new website coming too tomorrow i believe was the announcement, you should message him, offers amazing hosting. I have had him for awhile now with no issue whatsoever.

For Xenforo specifically, I haven't tried any host other than NimbusHosting and VelocityIO. My personal recommendation is to mess around with Xenforo for a few months and you will get a hang of it. Start with low monthly cost and see how it goes from there. I started with a big host like Nimbus, they're great but expensive and the service wasn't as fast as I believe it could be, so I'm currently with VelocityIO: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/velocityio-powered-by-lite-speed-enterprise.88254/

Try some affordable plan like $5/month and scale from there as your experience grows, it probably saves you ton in the future.

Hi @Deborah Lewis I am the owner of xF Hosting and be very happy to answer any questions you might have either by reply in this thread or you can feel free to PM me directly. Just to clear up any confusion you might have, I have had no affiliation with xF Host for over a year now after it was acquired back in late September 2013, many of my old clients from when I did own it, have returned to my new company due to the level of service they received with me in the past and confident they will continue to with my new company.

If you're looking for a very good, very affordable host that provides excellent service and communication, I'd also recommend VelocityIO. I've been with them for just about a month now and have not had one single issue with them. They answer any and all questions in a timely manner and responses are usually very quick to come back. Like Minecraftly said above, you can start out with their $5 package and be set for a pretty good length of time as your site grows. Upgrading to another package is also easy and convenient, just message their sales team, and they they will have you set up in no time.

VelocityIO

No matter your choice, good luck!

Things you have to remember when choosing budget hosting is. They either have to use very low grade hardware or oversell to make any sort of profit. Average E3 low-end server these days costs about $99.00 and these type of servers also can not be expanded beyond 4 cores or 32GB RAM, So sure. they are suitable for forums with a few thousand posts and 25 people online. Now remember on top of that cPanel is not free, that's another $30/mo + Litespeed dedicated server, just a single core is $32.00/mo So now we are up to an average of about 165.00. So a host selling a hosting package for $8.00 means they have to fit at least 20 sites on that server to just break even, even more then that if they are selling hosting packages for below that as you mentioned above, your on a $5.00 package.

Also another thing to consider when using budget hosting is your going to share your IP address with other sites. If another site on that IP get's attacked and has to be null routed til the attack can be mitigated, guess what? Every site on that IP goes offline. The site in your signature @KeVo shows from a simple public BPG dig of the IP 21 other sites on your IP address using it as well, so remember if any of those sites gets attacked... Yours goes offline too. With premium hosting from places like myself, urljet or nimbus, we put all our clients each on a dedicated IP address to prevent these sort of things from happening. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Have to remember as well that most of the hosts that advertise regularly here are all one man shows. They have no employees. Most aren't even legitimate businesses or pay taxes. They are simply a hobby. While you might get decent service when they are around, what happens when they go on vacation, are sleeping, have no internet access, die (Yep! I've actually seen that happen!!) etc.? What happens when their single server goes down? Can they have you up and running on another in a matter of minutes, or is your site going to be down for hours or days while they replace hardware, etc.?

Recommend you head over to WebHostingTalk or a similar hosting industry site for recommendations. There are TONS of hosts out there, and you would really be doing yourself a disservice by limiting yourself.

Hi @Deborah Lewis I am the owner of xF Hosting and be very happy to answer any questions you might have either by reply in this thread or you can feel free to PM me directly. Just to clear up any confusion you might have, I have had no affiliation with xF Host for over a year now after it was acquired back in late September 2013, many of my old clients from when I did own it, have returned to my new company due to the level of service they received with me in the past and confident they will continue to with my new company.
I was always wondering why would a company buy another company and at the same time let you open a new company at the same field, with the option to transfer clients from the old company to the new one. Sounds like somebody needs to take a Business 101 class.

Thank you all for the advice and clearing things up... after contacting xfhosting and getting prompt replies I decided to go with them.. for now a smaller shared solution until I get a handle on things.. hopefully one day it'll grow into more..

nice to see such a great community here..

Thanks Again
Deborah

I was always wondering why would a company buy another company and at the same time let you open a new company at the same field, with the option to transfer clients from the old company to the new one. Sounds like somebody needs to take a Business 101 class.

What xF Host, became.. I do indeed regret selling it as I put a lot of heart and soul into it. I do agree it was a bit odd that no non-compete was included in the contract. Either way though, non-competes in the US are normally only valid for one year unless other wise stated too. Rest assure though, regardless of how good of an offer, I would not sell this new company after seeing what became of xF Host and sadness it brought me after selling it. But that was 2013 and it's 2015 now. I learned a lot from owning it for the time I did along with a great deal of knowledge and can use that along with learning from past mistakes into building a new, better company :)

Well for starters, I'm not sure why you don't even have a link to your Hosting Company in your signature.
For seconds, Since i'm sure most of your customers are from this website? You could've somehow incorprated your avatar to your website so right away they know it's your website.

But i agree it's very confusing. I think using the "xen" in a domain instead of "xf" sounds and is easier to remember

Capture.webp

Top Bottom