XF vs MyBB

Nebulous

Anyone familiar with MyBB?

Let's do a side by side comparison (If you're up for it).

Post things that XF has that MyBB doesn't.

Perhaps things that XF has a better version of?

Xenforo alerts
/close thread

Selective quoting.
Ultra responsive theme.
A good wiki.
Paste images into editor from clipboard

Good stuff, good stuff and I agree. I was contemplating switching over one of these days and if I ever did make that decision, I know I'd have to "sell" the idea to a few staff/members at my forum. :P

I came from MyBB 1.6 and XF is FAR better than MyBB.

• Built in SEO Feature
  • 99.9 % Secured
  • Responsive Theme
  • and A LOT OTHER UNIQUE FEATURE of XF.

There is no any reference to compare Xenforo with Mybb, its like compare ferrari with scrap yards cars, but if you want something better then phpbb or SMF i will choose Mybb

Heres a list of stuff I have on MyBB, do they exist here? ...and are better quality? :p

• Moods
  • Country flag on post bit/ profile
  • Mentions in posts
  • Reputation points
  • Custom usertitle
  • Shout box
  • Users can set their own default font
  • Mobile theme / tapa talk
  • Cash system (virtual currency)
  • --- Shop & Lottery too?
  • Who's was here? (last 48 hours) index
  • Top Posters on index
  • Latest Threads / Posts on index
  • Awards (trophies?)

Last edited:
Heres a list of stuff I have on MyBB, do they exist here? ...and are better quality? :p

• Moods
  • Country flag on post bit/ profile
  • Mentions in posts
  • Reputation points
  • Custom usertitle
  • Shout box
  • Mobile theme / tapa talk
  • Cash system (virtual currency)
  • --- Shop & Lottery too?
  • Who's was here? (last 48 hours) index
  • Top Posters on index
  • Latest Threads / Posts on index
  • Awards (trophies?)

Yes to all. (I removed user set default font)
I also migrated from MyBB, and it simply cannot match up to XF.

Simply saying "it's better" or "there is no comparison" doesn't really help me all that much. ....What new features would I gain from XF? Profile comments? Status updates? Etc etc

Anyway, do any of those plugins from the list above cost money or are they all free?

If I converted my forum would the existing passwords on member accounts still work or would they have to reset through email?

Passwords would be preserved, yes.

I would recommend trialling an online demo: Admin Demo

Anything you need which is not included there would require a third party add-on.

myBB is very feature rich.
Especially 1.6
Feature comparisons between the two .... Mybb will do very well as it has many of the features of Xenforo.
But that comparison isn't the way to evaluate XF vs MyBB.

Where Xenforo excels is the User Experience.
- Legendary alerts.
- Pasting images directly in Posts via the clipboard.
- the best balance between good looks and functionality.

Not to mention the Security track record of Xenforo is so good, I'll say it has set a new bar for php software security excellence (compared to software of similar complexity). Over the last 15 years, I've never seen a program like Xenforo be so secure. And believe me, I've used and researched ALOT of software.

Add in the health of the 1.x addon community. Add in the virtual complete destruction of competitors making software starting with the letter v ... and Xenforo is the defacto forum-based community.

@thezzy - your members would love alerts. Add in post ratings and member engagement would increase significantly. Your community is a no-brainer for Xenforo. The only sites that aren't perfect for Xenforo are more content-driven sites and even for those I usually suggest Wordpress + Xenforo. I might change that if IPB4 makes a good Pages component.

Anyway, do any of those plugins from the list above cost money or are they all free?
Isn't wober.net your site ?
You are worried about the cost of some cheap addons ?
The money should be the least of your worries.
You have a gem of a site there.
Concentrate on your users and if they would like Xenforo more.
You can always make more money ... but if you lose the users with a bad migration or fail to engage them and they get bored ... they are gone and so is your site.

Passwords would be preserved, yes.

I would recommend trialling an online demo: Admin Demo

Anything you need which is not included there would require a third party add-on.

Thanks and I have used the demo.

myBB is very feature rich.
Especially 1.6
Feature comparisons between the two .... Mybb will do very well as it has many of the features of Xenforo.
But that comparison isn't the way to evaluate XF vs MyBB.

Where Xenforo excels is the User Experience.
- Legendary alerts.
- Pasting images directly in Posts via the clipboard.
- the best balance between good looks and functionality.

Not to mention the Security track record of Xenforo is so good, I'll say it has set a new bar for php software security excellence (compared to software of similar complexity). Over the last 15 years, I've never seen a program like Xenforo be so secure. And believe me, I've used and researched ALOT of software.

Add in the health of the 1.x addon community. Add in the virtual complete destruction of competitors making software starting with the letter v ... and Xenforo is the defacto forum-based community.

@thezzy - your members would love alerts. Add in post ratings and member engagement would increase significantly. Your community is a no-brainer for Xenforo. The only sites that aren't perfect for Xenforo are more content-driven sites and even for those I usually suggest Wordpress + Xenforo. I might change that if IPB4 makes a good Pages component.

I do like the alerts and post ratings. It's my favorite part of any xf board. :)

They stimulate better conversations because you're updated on what's going on. At my forum it seems like people just answer a topic and move on. Real discussions that go on for pages rarely happen and I'm sure a lack of notifications contribute to that.

Also yeah security is very important. We were hacked back in November and it was a huge mess.

Isn't wober.net your site ?
You are worried about the cost of some cheap addons ?
The money should be the least of your worries.
You have a gem of a site there.
Concentrate on your users and if they would like Xenforo more.
You can always make more money ... but if you lose the users with a bad migration or fail to engage them and they get bored ... they are gone and so is your site.

Yes it is and yes I am worried about money and want to know if any of those addons cost money and if they come with their own renewal fees.

Seems like people are getting bored with us on MyBB so maybe a switch would recapture some interest. A bad migration would be bad so that's why I'm here asking about features and plugins, a comparison and whatnot. I'd want to reinstate all of our current add-on's, keep appearances somewhat the same and introduce everyone to the new things we would have.

Time = Very Expensive.
getting users = Expensive.
Cost of Addons = almost free.

do like the alerts and post ratings. It's my favorite part of any xf board. :)
They stimulate better conversations because you're updated on what's going on. At my forum it seems like people just answer a topic and move on. Real discussions that go on for pages rarely happen and I'm sure a lack of notifications contribute to that.
You are a smart guy.

Also yeah security is very important. We were hacked back in November and it was a huge mess.
I've been hacked on Joomla, hacked on Wordpress, hacked on SMF, hacked on Snitz Forums.
But, even with my below average admin time and skills, No Xenforo hacks.
Disclosure: I also never got hacked on vBulletin 4

A bad migration would be bad so that's why I'm here asking about features and plugins, a comparison and whatnot. I'd want to reinstate all of our current add-on's, keep appearances somewhat the same and introduce everyone to the new things we would have.

Here's a screen shot to expand on that (with notes):

A1N4Up1.jpg

....could I get my index page (forum bit) looking like that?

And in the post bit, all this stuff showing:

xFrdTxP.jpg

(Post count, thread count, location or flag, join date, rep/like count, cash amount, mood and awards)

Per node icons is also simple, in extra.css

Code:
.node.node_16 .forumNodeInfo.unread .nodeIcon, .node.node_16 .categoryForumNodeInfo.unread .nodeIcon {
    background-image: url("images/wicon.png");
    background-position: 0px 0px;
}

Top Bottom