XF should update resource/add-on developer terms to ban call backs

Mouth

Many XF admins don't realise that many XF add-ons makes constant call backs to the add-on developers service and tracks your usage of the add-on.

I believe that XF should update developer and add-on resource uploader's terms so that the usage of "call-backs" within add-ons cannot be used to track usage of an add-on's.

Yes, but not policed or checked?
And as per my suggestion, it should be banned - not just listed in description.

They only recently added that as rules. They are taking action if people do not comply with those rules. Current resources must also comply and be updated to be in compliance. So technically it isn't allowed.

They only recently added that as rules. They are taking action if people do not comply with those rules. Current resources must also comply and be updated to be in compliance. So technically it isn't allowed.
Thanks, I just reported 4 for callbacks.

So technically it isn't allowed.
Sorry, disagree. Banning is clearly different than listing in description.
It's an abhorrent mechanisms and XF should be above allowing it, listed in description or not.

I don't like them or agree with them, necessarily but I don't think its right to outright ban them.

It depends on the data being shared during the callback and for what reason.

If it just sends your URL for license verification I don't see a problem with this.

What exactly are your concerns about such mechanisms?

As long as its only calling back with your domain name for licening reasons then their is nothing inherently wrong with using callbacks.
I do agree though, some authors have been overzealous with it.

Yeah, fail safes really need to be put in place to protect against that scenario. Also, why do those add-ons have callbacks. They are free, aren't they?

Yeah, fail safes really need to be put in place to protect against that scenario. Also, why do those add-ons have callbacks. They are free, aren't they?
Yes most of them are free with Visible Branding but removable with payment.
That way his callback check for license.

Many XF admins don't realise that many XF add-ons makes constant call backs to the add-on developers service and tracks your usage of the add-on.

I believe that XF should update developer and add-on resource uploader's terms so that the usage of "call-backs" within add-ons cannot be used to track usage of an add-on's.

Can't you just choose not to use those addons that have callbacks, now that they should be more identifiable?

True, it doesn't affect piracy. It only alerts developers when customers install software on unlicensed domains.

True, it doesn't affect piracy. It only alerts developers when customers install software on unlicensed domains.
And only if the person sharing it doesn't remove the callback from the code first.

Top Bottom