xF & IPB Comparison

I tried IBP, like others I was taken in by the screenshots and looks, but the usability left much to be desired, I couldn't stand it, so went back to Vbulletin (this was before XF was launched, heh)

If I were to choose a software now? It'd be Xenforo first, I don't think I'd have a second preference, as VB sucks with IB running it, IB I don't really like, the only other options I'm familiar with are the open source varieties, but I'm not THAT keen on those.

I tried IBP, like others I was taken in by the screenshots and looks, but the usability left much to be desired, I couldn't stand it, so went back to Vbulletin (this was before XF was launched, heh)

If I were to choose a software now? It'd be Xenforo first, I don't think I'd have a second preference, as VB sucks with IB running it, IB I don't really like, the only other options I'm familiar with are the open source varieties, but I'm not THAT keen on those.
A while back I had a IPB license for about a week. It was evil . . I didnt learn any thing about it and my system admins refused to work with it. . So we went back to vB(We left vB because I got fed up with it). Xenforo is the first forum software which I really enjoy and has met my expectations.

the only other options I'm familiar with are the open source varieties, but I'm not THAT keen on those.

I have very positive experience running phpBB. As much as I like XF, if I'm starting a small community I'm definitely going for phpBB. The front-end appearance looks the most modern imo.

myBB sounds really popular. But I never found any skin/theme I like for it....

phpBB has hundreds of add-ons; portal, gallery, calendar, chat, etc.

I had no complaints when I used it, in terms of features.

As soon as I saw XenForo and the Pages feature, I decided to switch.
Prior to that I had been creating custom php pages for everything.

I had to stop upgrading my phpBB site as I had so many custom templates it became impossible to upgrade, so it was getting more and more out of date, both core and add-ons.

As soon as I saw XenForo and the Pages feature, I decided to switch.
Prior to that I had been creating custom php pages for everything.

I had to stop upgrading my phpBB site as I had so many custom templates it became impossible to upgrade, so it was getting more and more out of date, both core and add-ons.
I understand where your coming from :p

Never really tried PhPBB, I never really liked hacking files to add functionality (not sure if it's still the case?)
But I got used to VB's Plugin/product system, which just makes it so easy to add extra stuff.

Never really tried PhPBB, I never really liked hacking files to add functionality (not sure if it's still the case?)
But I got used to VB's Plugin/product system, which just makes it so easy to add extra stuff.
I went from phpbb to vB when I was 12. Ive had a chance to use vB for many years and I must admit it was a step up from phpbb.

I run an IPB site and am in the process of working on a xenforo site. I've been using IPB for almost a year and still can't get my head around designing for it. Xenforo I've only been actively playing around with for a few weeks (although I've owned a licence since the day they became available) and I am already happy to fiddle with the design side. Don't even get me started on the pages feature, I LOVE them so damn much - it's actually quite sad!!!

I adore the IPB guys - Matt and Charles - and have a very good relationship with them, but had I been aware that xenforo was on the horizon when I was converting from vB, I probably would have held off and waited to see what Kier was offering. The likelihood is had that happened, I would have converted (or been in the process of converting) to xenforo instead.

I run an IPB site and am in the process of working on a xenforo site. I've been using IPB for almost a year and still can't get my head around designing for it. Xenforo I've only been actively playing around with for a few weeks (although I've owned a licence since the day they became available) and I am already happy to fiddle with the design side. Don't even get me started on the pages feature, I LOVE them so damn much - it's actually quite sad!!!

I adore the IPB guys - Matt and Charles - and have a very good relationship with them, but had I been aware that xenforo was on the horizon when I was converting from vB, I probably would have held off and waited to see what Kier was offering. The likelihood is had that happened, I would have converted (or been in the process of converting) to xenforo instead.

I totally agree. I purchased an ipb license due to client work that warranted purchasing it and i don't think i could ever build a site other than with xenforo. ipb just isn't for me and doubt it ever will be. :LOL:

I totally agree. I purchased an ipb license due to client work that warranted purchasing it and i don't think i could ever build a site other than with xenforo. ipb just isn't for me and doubt it ever will be. :LOL:
I have been telling all my clients to use xF since most of them want to convert from vB.

Hi,

I have been reading this thread and I must admit that I'm a bit shocked..!

I'm a IPB user only since a couple of months... actually I have not much experience in communities, I'm more of a CMS guy (Wordpress, EE, Joomla...) so for me it is important that a community can do a bit of all things: Blog, Pages, Forum, E-commerce and so on...

I took a look at many platforms for building a community for our school (including XF and VB4), and after some trying and error I decided strongly for IPB and I must say I really like it. I must admit that I know almost nothing from XF but visually I find much more appealing IPB, the Control Panel looks fantastic and the Forum is one of the best I've seen. It may be than XF is a better Forum, I don't know, but IPB is also pretty damn good.

I have read a lot of negative comments in this thread about IPB and it looks when you read it as if IPB is just a problem box, but I have experienced a super Support, a nice community and very little issues. Updates are regular, and I never experienced any issue when upgrading even from 3.1 to 3.2.

As an example last saturday night I had an issue I repeat, Saturday Night, I opened a Ticket, I marked it as urgent and I got a replay within 10 min and my issue was solved almost immediately . Of course it is not always the case, but I have seen critics on support here, and my experienced is almost the opposite. I have opened quite a lot of tickets and 99% have been resolved in a quite gentle and efficient manner.

I like how easy is to manage IP.Nexus, selling physical and virtual products, like Membership access, on a single Mod and although I see it's limits I see big potential in this Module (actually the comming 1.4 of IP.Nexus brings nice improvements) I like having a real HelpDesk included for no extra price (something which other companies sell for Gold Prices).

IP.Content makes a quite decent job, although I must admit there is a lot of room for improvements, it is a jung product and I know they are working on it. I find it is easy to create Categories and adding articles, and I find it even easier than in Wordpress for usual users.

What I really miss, and I agree on those critics, is the lack of good documentation in IPB, I really don't know how to make simple things, because IPB has sooooo many features, that I don't know for instance how to properly use or take efficiente use of Pages or the Blocks or the Databases. They actually update their products so often that many new features come and documentation does not keep pace on it.

But I like that most core features are part of the suite and developed from IPS so that I don't depend on thirty party developers which may stop developing their add ons in a the future.

But as I say, I may be wrong and I may be able to do all that in XF in an even easier a better way, but when you see the XF corporate website I don't see I'm able to have a Helpdesk, or a E-Commerce or Blog or Pages or Gallery or download page an so for... could you please informe me on that?

By the way I find the Admin Control Panel of XF very little intuitive comparing it to the from IPB, but that is my personal view...

Thanks...

Top Bottom