XF installation support ?

erich37

I have no idea of how to install software on a server and how to set-up a database.

So when XF becomes available, I will be looking for somebody who can support on that.

who is able to properly install XF-software on my server ?

This is also a matter of $$$ as I am planning to have several licences.

Is XF going to provide installation-service ?

Many people $, they think they have a great idea for a forum, but have zero knowledge of things like:
  1. how/where to buy a domain name
  2. how/where to get hosting, and what type - shared? Linux?
  3. why 1 & 2, in theory, would be a good idea to keep separate
  4. how to use cpanel (or other)
  5. how to make a database, add user, add permissions for user
what is an ftp program, which one is a reasonable one to start with, and the basics of how to use it
Sador said:
Many, possibly all, of those things could be addressed for many people with a short video, who have an urge to setup a forum and spend $ while in the 'heat of the moment' and might impulse buy.

1. godaddy.com is pretty competitive I use them for most purchases
2. If your new and don't have a community follwing your work already, your best bet would be with a decent VPS package (try hostgator thats how I learned/am learning currently) so you can if you like delve into the actual server side of things as well giving you more options but initially everything you need to put up a page is ready for you within 24 hours or less due to propagation times.
3. By keeping your registar (people you bought the domain name from) and your hosting separate you gain full controll over your domain at your registars website via your control panel
4. Its pretty easy to pick up Hostgator has THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE (in my experiance) tho i have servers elswhere that are GREAT but all assistance you will be paying out your backside for at these places.
5. If your using cpanel creating a database is pretty simple just remember to save a copy of the information you filled in for reference in any configurations you make.
6. FTP = File Transfer Protocol I use FlashFXP , you use your ip address/domain name, username and password on port 21 to connect to your server to transfer files

If you would like a temporary webhosting package to play with I can create one for you just click my name and start a conversation with me and I'll help you out so you can be ready when Xenforo is released to the public.I support your effort because i was in the same place as you a short time ago. Best of luck in your ventures.

What would be good would be one place to learn it all where it is pieced together. Maybe it just does not exist.
In the early days of the WWW it was practically all in one place. The trouble is now there are thousands of those places. I could point you to a website or two that helped me learn everything I needed to know. But every time I do that, someone comes along and says those sites are bad, and you should use the ones they used - which might be sites that I would not use.

It's all relative, and all whatever works for you personally. You just have to do some footwork.

I am guilty as charged. I do not comfortably know the answer to some of these questions.

I want to learn but do not know where to go - any advice would be great.
Great example. You seem to have a goal, think quite clearly, and may have $. But you don't know some things. I had to spend 3 weeks digging through the pre-sales forum on vb.com to gain the level of confidence I was comfortable with, and it should not be that hard.

Problem is, if I gave my opinion on some of those things, this thread may never end. As soon as I mention a hosting company or ftp program there would be many other people giving input such as "yadayadahosting.com is the best and they have a 20% discount right now!".

If you want my opinion feel free to send me a message (PC?) and I'll be happy to talk about it. :)

You would be surprised how many 1 million+ uniqes/mo communities have no idea how to maintain their site.

I was lucky enough to find a database guy with prodigy like abilities so I can focus on leveraging content to increase viewership.

Once you find a solid partner/team you can do big things in this bulletin market pretty easily.

If you have a huge site, that's when it is probably good to reach out to people who have a proven track record of long term value.

You don't want to lose your momentum.

Personally, I'm DYING for a direct ad sales guy~

Okay, this looks like as good a place as any for this question, and forgive my stupidity because I don't usually do these things myself.

Suppose I install it on www.somedomain.com/forum/ and later on I want to move it to www.somedomain.com. Same domain - just moving it from forum to the front page or what I guess is always called index.php. What would be involved in that - would I have to delete it off the forum folder and reinstall it, or ... well I don't even know enough to finish that sentence. Basically, would it be a big deal?

Well, keeping the old URLs working would be the biggest thing - that's not really XF related though. That's just a redirect.

But you'd basically just need to move the files and update any full URLs in the ACP (there is one that has to be entered).

Top Bottom