XF Hosted?

I still wouldn't use it. I like having full access and control. And no limits on members online.
Which are the limits imposed by IPB? I haven't used that kind of service myself.
Might be useful for a throw-away community if you don't require to buy a license and you are just setting up something for a month or two

I've been told that... IPB, it's hosting, and other related server based services gets DDOS .... A lot.... Among other attacks. .... At least that is what I've been told from some reliable sources.

Which are the limits imposed by IPB? I haven't used that kind of service myself.
Might be useful for a throw-away community if you don't require to buy a license and you are just setting up something for a month or two

I know people trapped in that boat, built a thriving community basically someone else owns.
This is not IPB either, but I'd guess they have the same business model as most of these freebies.

IRL I actually slapped the guy in the back of the head when he told me, they wont part with the database for him (really, like two minutes out of their time :rolleyes: ) and he's stuck with a theme that makes wotlab look futuristic. He has to start again, which is kinda exciting in its own way I guess, but still, he has to start over.

I can't recommend enough not wasting a moment of your time with these vultures who use you and your visitors as a ad-revenue system, while you can get free & ad-free decent php hosting and a free forum script in no time these days, just to 'start something' with or let your grandad post about germans. At least it's all yours to 'take' or modify. Other then that, the rest is just a create-a-forum for the lazy.

Other than that what others have mentioned (DDOS attacks), IPB puts a limit on the number of users you can have online at any one time. For a community that is brand new and just starting out, it can work, but you wouldn't want to rely on that for very long at all.

Hosting isn't expensive. And if you're serious about your forum/site, then I would like to think you can find some means to buy the license (Xenforo being one of the cheapest available among premium scripts) and get a decent host without too much trouble. You could always start on a free script if you can only afford hosting, run some decent (non-bothersome) ads on your forum, then upgrade and move your database once you can afford a license.

Other than that what others have mentioned (DDOS attacks), IPB puts a limit on the number of users you can have online at any one time. For a community that is brand new and just starting out, it can work, but you wouldn't want to rely on that for very long at all.

Hosting isn't expensive. And if you're serious about your forum/site, then I would like to think you can find some means to buy the license (Xenforo being one of the cheapest available among premium scripts) and get a decent host without too much trouble. You could always start on a free script if you can only afford hosting, run some decent (non-bothersome) ads on your forum, then upgrade and move your database once you can afford a license.
Like this: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/simple-edit-adverts.979/ Lol

I know people trapped in that boat, built a thriving community basically someone else owns.
This is not IPB either, but I'd guess they have the same business model as most of these freebies.

IRL I actually slapped the guy in the back of the head when he told me, they wont part with the database for him (really, like two minutes out of their time :rolleyes: ) and he's stuck with a theme that makes wotlab look futuristic. He has to start again, which is kinda exciting in its own way I guess, but still, he has to start over.

I can't recommend enough not wasting a moment of your time with these vultures who use you and your visitors as a ad-revenue system, while you can get free & ad-free decent php hosting and a free forum script in no time these days, just to 'start something' with or let your grandad post about germans. At least it's all yours to 'take' or modify. Other then that, the rest is just a create-a-forum for the lazy.
That wouldn't be proboards or something? I know they have defined in their ToS that the content submitted to your proboard site is their copyright. If there are no legal implications, there are crawler importers ;)

Hosting isn't expensive, but it is a pain. You need to find a host, setup your database, do the sample installation, you have to deal with issues with the server, with the database, with the filesystem, disk space, load, etc ...

You quickly get out of the "building a community" world and into the "system administrator / web designer / webmaster" world. For someone that just wants to build a community hosted is the way to go, it basically outsources/delegates all the pains to a more professional and capable body. As long as they can assure that everything will be working, awesome.

If your community ever moves from the 10 concurrent users to 100, certainly you would be jumping to the next plan (or whatever way they are charging for it), at some point problems start, and I am sure more people would rather be dealing with the community itself than debugging why the server is slow.

The only advantage of self hosting is that it is cheaper.

Hosting isn't expensive, but it is a pain. You need to find a host, setup your database, do the sample installation, you have to deal with issues with the server, with the database, with the filesystem, disk space, load, etc ...

You quickly get out of the "building a community" world and into the "system administrator / web designer / webmaster" world. For someone that just wants to build a community hosted is the way to go, it basically outsources/delegates all the pains to a more professional and capable body. As long as they can assure that everything will be working, awesome.

If your community ever moves from the 10 concurrent users to 100, certainly you would be jumping to the next plan (or whatever way they are charging for it), at some point problems start, and I am sure more people would rather be dealing with the community itself than debugging why the server is slow.

The only advantage of self hosting is that it is cheaper.
Suppose but some webhosting business will install Xenforo for free.

I didn't and don't know anything about was you guys are talking about LOL

I was thinking more of generating additional revenue for XF.

Well some hosts like me, if asked via ticket if we'd install xenforo, we'd do it free of charge due to us its a few minutes job which is easy.
ok, sure, fair enough.

But a hosted solution ideally is more than the installation. The point here is that your host takes care of the scalability of the solution. Ideally, if my traffic suddenly spikes from 50 users to 500, my host would be able to set me up in either a high end server or cluster in a day, to rebalance the database out of the webserver, to add more cgi processes if needed, and I would not need to worry about any of that

(and most likely they would bill accordingly)

Top Bottom