XF Gold speculation

Ryan Kent

I know there is not a solid date but can any predictions be offered as to when the official release of XF will be available? I've noticed the bug reports list has been dwindled down and there seems to be no major issues.

Personally, my website design will be complete this weekend and I will be ready to go live Monday. I wish to hold off because there is the XF gold upgrade, then a ton of template changes which is a manual process for me, then the add-on updates, etc. So I prefer to hold off my live site until XF is official assuming it is coming soon.

Throw us a bone
rolleyes.png

Today, we are delighted to present what is intended to be our final release candidate for XenForo. Barring unforeseen circumstances (now where have we heard that before?), our next release after this one will be XenForo 1.0.0 final/stable/gold. For now however, the usual pre-release software caveats still apply.
No specific date but the frequency of releases should give you some idea ;)

Even if you hold off, you'll have to update your live site once 1.1 is released so you might as well get some practice in.

An Oracle really shouldn't need a bone ;)

Brogan's quote above, plus how quick the Beta and RC releases were distributed, should make it fair to assume in the next couple of weeks we'll see a stable version.

I know there is not a solid date but can any predictions be offered as to when the official release of XF will be available? I've noticed the bug reports list has been dwindled down and there seems to be no major issues.

Personally, my website design will be complete this weekend and I will be ready to go live Monday. I wish to hold off because there is the XF gold upgrade, then a ton of template changes which is a manual process for me, then the add-on updates, etc. So I prefer to hold off my live site until XF is official assuming it is coming soon.

Throw us a bone :rolleyes:
Just go live now. Don't wait for Gold -- you won't regret it (I moved from vB3 to Xenforo) and neither will any of your members (if you have an existing site)

What's going into version 1.1? What do they have slated for that? Is there a roadmap of upcoming features? Would be good to know for planning purposes. Doesn't have to be exact, just a rough idea.

Why does it really matter? You realize there's not going to be much of a difference between the "gold" release the current release candidate, right? It might as well be considered another release candidate. The "gold" is really just a designation that declares that version as 1.0.

Why does it really matter? You realize there's not going to be much of a difference between the "gold" release the current release candidate, right? It might as well be considered another release candidate. The "gold" is really just a designation that declares that version as 1.0.
It is, however, an officially stable release, which means more people are likely to buy licenses, develop add-ons, etc. Of course, that doesn't really affect us early-adopters, but still. ;)

It matters a great deal for me. As soon as the production update goes live, all my add-ons will presumably be updated as well to support any changes. An updated for XF + XenPorta and the other supporting Xen add-ons, Flexile, and a few other add-ons is a LOT of changes to go through.

This is my first website and I am brand new to everything. I did not make my template changes in Extras.css because I had no understanding of how that worked. So this upgrade will be quite an unpleasant experience for me. I have over 50 templates with updates. The experience of going through every line of 50 templates and copying the changes over wont be fun.

So it wouldn't be reasonable for me to roll my website out on Monday, welcome the world to stop by, and then later that week have to deal with these many changes which involve a big chance something will go wrong. I would rather put things off until everything is solid.

One thing you can guarantee. Compared to how much VB 4 updates break numerous things, introduce additional bugs, and force skin designers to update every time. I have rarely found anything noticeable that "breaks" after a XF upgrade, not to mention, if there is anything that does act up, the developers quickly address and resolve it.

I've found that XF was stable at Beta 1. I don't think you'll regret moving to it, even before gold.

I have no regrets about purchasing XF. I am extremely happy with the software and my learning experiences. It's unfortunate (but not regrettable) that my inexperience will lead to a painful upgrade process for me and some others because of not minimizing template changes in affected areas (i.e. moving all possible to extra.css) and not thoroughly documenting all changes in other templates. Oh well, live and learn. Bring on the pain!

Oracle, I understand your concerns.

Just in case you had not thought of it, with regard to updating templates & upgrading - you can do all of your updating on your test site, then copy/paste the templates into the live site. You live site does not need to be down while you are trying to figure out what exactly should be edited.

Top Bottom