XF 2.2 xf-addon:create in shared hosting environment

Twincam

Hi

I cannot access command prompt because I'm in a shared hosting environment. Is there another way to run xf-addon:create? Can/could it be done from within the Admin area?

I could duplicate the site to my local host and develop the addon there, but we have a test site so I was hoping to use that.

Last edited:
Can/could it be done from within the Admin area?
Sadly not unless your host will allow it which is highly unlikely. I have the same problem but I have decided it's not worth the extra expense to move from what is very good shared hosting.

Sadly not unless your host will allow it which is highly unlikely. I have the same problem but I have decided it's not worth the extra expense to move from what is very good shared hosting.
I guess it's down to whether there's anything in it that HAS to be run in cmd. Otherwise why not an area in the development section where we type the answers in and click add.

Create a localhost installation - that's where most developers work.

OK, hold my Babycham, I'm going in.

Are there any plans to support some sort of dev copy / limited key for XenForo Cloud users? I'd love to develop some addons myself.

Are there any plans to support some sort of dev copy / limited key for XenForo Cloud users? I'd love to develop some addons myself.
The xf-addon:create command just creates some folders/files (the addon.json file and optionally the Setup.php file) and then "installs" that empty add-on. There's nothing preventing someone from uploading those files manually and then clicking "install" in the admin area. CLI access is definitely not a requirement to develop XenForo add-ons, however being able to upload files is.

That being said, I suspect XenForo Cloud probably isn't the way to develop add-ons. I don't have firsthand experience with it, but if you can't directly upload your own PHP files, how are you supposed to write code there? I know you can install an add-on package, but if you are doing that, you would need to be developing elsewhere anyway.

Top Bottom