XF 2.3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For example, do you know how annoying it is to click a thread title and land on page 1 instead of landing on the last post?
I don’t understand. I would expect a thread title to link to the first post. Like on any website a menu link leads to the top of a page unless it is a specific anchor link.

On a forum with dynamic content added continuously, if I have already read some of it I would be happy if the link goes to the latest unread content, which it does, but otherwise I would want it to lead to the top.

However maybe it should be clearer that the list also has a link to the latest post.

Navigate to where, based on what criteria? Does that mean some kind of slider that Discourse has (with all of its own annoyances)?

I don’t understand. I would expect a thread title to link to the first post. Like on any website a menu link leads to the top of a page unless it is a specific anchor link.

On a forum with dynamic content added continuously, if I have already read some of it I would be happy if the link goes to the latest unread content, which it does, but otherwise I would want it to lead to the top.

However maybe it should be clearer that the list also has a link to the latest post.
No need to ignore this BIG AND ANNOYING navigation problem. At least be consistent. This is a major obstacle for all users of forum software (including XF). I'd like to be able to navigate through posts in a thread, in seconds, without having to manually scan through thousands of posts.

Wait what? That was the post I replied to!

You say you want to navigate through threads - I’m trying to understand what you mean. You have a link to the start of the thread (which is a link to unread if you haven’t read it fully), and have a link to the end of the thread (always). What else do you need?

No need to ignore this BIG AND ANNOYING navigation problem
The only annoying navigation problem I see is the lack of pagination at the top in mobile view. Easily fixed but IamO that should not be necessary.

Otherwise I see no problem.

And you still haven’t answered my question - you want to navigate through a topic in seconds. You have options for start/first unread, and last post out of the box. What else do you need?

You say you want to navigate through threads - I’m trying to understand what you mean. You have a link to the start of the thread (which is a link to unread if you haven’t read it fully), and have a link to the end of the thread (always). What else do you need?
Perhaps there could be some subtle and intelligent filtering with instant loading, or maybe there are other ways to improve the user experience. As a forum user myself, I'm not an engineer or usability expert who can provide a solution, but I do believe that there is room for improvement.

To illustrate my point, try searching for a post you made four months ago in this thread and let me know how many clicks it took to find it. It can be like finding a needle in a haystack!

To illustrate my point, try searching for a post you made four months ago in this thread and let me know how many clicks it took to find it. It can be like finding a needle in a haystack!

Two Clicks

1680855498684.webp

Perhaps there could be some subtle and intelligent filtering with instant loading, or maybe there are other ways to improve the user experience. As a forum user myself, I'm not an engineer or usability expert who can provide a solution, but I do believe that there is room for improvement.

"Make it better"

"Sure, what would you like to see improved?"

"I don't know, just make it better!"

XenForo is an excellent forum. However, f we're asking for specifics on what needs to be improved, I have a few ideas.

I love the article feature and hope to see that expanded. I'd love to see the ability to "nest" article posts to create series, chapters, blogs, etc. I know Bob's AMS does something similar but I'd prefer to have it as a built in feature.

I'd like to see integration with Make and Zapier. This would open up numerous possibilities of integration with other software.

The option for some sort of multisite (or at minimum, shared credentials between connected xenForo communities) would be amazing.

The most important feature I'd like to see is support for native iOS notifications. IPS is already prepped for this.

Why would 2.2.13 come after 2.3?

There won’t be any 2.2 releases once 2.3 is released.
There were 2.1 patches after 2.2 came out, so I’d expect 2.1 to drop entirely but for 2.2 to still receive support for security (+major?) bugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom