XF 2.3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I moved back over because I didn’t like the way they were pushing going away from self-hosted licenses. I think they have walked that back some. I like the option of Cloud for those that want to use it, I just don't want to be forced into it.
I am looking at IPS due to stagnation here but it seemed very expensive?

I also moved a different forum I run from phoBB to discourse and loving that tbh

I also moved a different forum I run from phoBB to discourse and loving that tbh
IPS is rather expensive when compared to XF in many ways. BUT they do offer more "functions/fun" than XF currently does. They also offer a more complete suite of products that can be used to leverage your site better in some instances.
As I've told many that have asked... you have to look at what you need and what the script developers provide. If you basically need a simple forum, XF does fine. But if you need more than that then you need to look elsewhere or expect to expend a noticeable amount on 3rd party add-ons. XF has pretty much missed the bus on being much more than a simple forum provider. Their media and resource implementations are simply OK (and in some points are lacking).
You have to also realize that IPS is doing more regular updates/function improvements than XF is.
I really like XF... but their sitting on their thumbs is doing them more damage in the market than anything.
If it wasn't for @Bob's add-ons and the fact that IPS is looking at doing away with standalone script in the near future, I'd probably be running IPS on my current site as "bang for the buck", XF is sucking hind teat when it comes down to the fact that many of my 3rd party add-ons could be recreated (with some effort and in most cases not as well without significant time investment and equating to about $300 in current costs not including renewal requirements for 3rd party add-ons) in IPS Pages (when you consider I'm experienced enough to be able to code basics that I need in it).
Let's simply discard the fact that XF seems to simply ignore suggestions that have existed for a decade (or slightly more) and have high votes. One should simply realize that the ultimate target of XF has apparently nothing to do with end user suggestions and only is pertinent to the developers desires/choices. They have an apparent concrete mindset of where they want XF to go, and suggestions are generally looked at and discarded, with the developers priorities taking the forefront. It appears to be that the primary desire is to off-load any "advancements" to 3rd party and to minimize their input/requirements.
And this is from someone who has been running XF for over a decade (and still likes it)... I've seen the history and the repeat of it time and time again over that 10 years. The ONLY major advancement I have seen in that time was when Chris Deeming came onboard as a developer and suddenly XF had a media add-on that was originally 3rd party. All else has actually been minor advancements, many of which were already serviced by 3rd party developers (which they seem to push most of the load off on). The MAIN improvement from 1.x to 2.x line was to make it easier for 3rd party developers... NOTHING of note for the end license user.

What is really pitiful is that this is from someone who has been a strong proponent of XF from the nasty vB lawsuit days... but there does reach a point where one has to call out the apparently lackadaisical attitude of the developers to task. There are many important bugs listed that have not been addressed in months... for some, these bugs have been "show-stopping" in nature.
They simply need to realize that they need to communicate better. Yes, they had to devote time to getting their cloud election out... but did that process freeze their fingers from keeping their script license holders from being "kept in the know"? Nope. They could have simply stated that their current point of concentration was getting an SaaS offering out, and that stand-alone script progress would be derailed until that was done. Did they do that? No, it apparently never entered their minds until they were called out about it. Closed mouth, and the inquisitions began. Basically, in a nutshell... they shot themselves in the foot with a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with double ought buckshot. And in some ways, that stupidity continues.
There are NUMEROUS bugs, some of which are show-stopping for some, that have existed for months and STILL are not addressed.
And yes, I realize that this may "torque" some of the developers (or staff) off.. but facts remain that. XF is currently falling down on the job of keeping their script updated in a timely manner AND keeping their license holders updated. What should really be worrisome to them is someone with a decade plus history of strong support for them is starting to have issues with their "responsiveness" to issues.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the fact that I don't want to re-create most of @Bob's add-ons over in IPS Pages (and the fact that stand-alone script support is questionable past the next version), I'd probably have converted over to them. So yes, the main reason I'm still at XF is NOT the XF development team (which updates really sucks recently), but simply because the fantastic support of multiple 3rd party add-ons. XF has no real bearing on it.

Let me reiterate.. I REALLY enjoy the XF environment overall (as a licensed user for over a decade). What I have issues with is apparent overall ignoring of licensed users suggestions (especially those with high votes that have been in existence for a decade or more) and the fact that they have an apparent issue with getting major bug fixes resolved in a timely manner. It's almost a "we know what you need, so sit down and shut up" attitude.
Will this upset certain XF staff/developers.... most likely (and I expect to get a warning and posting suspension for "going against them").. but the simple fact remains... you will have a difficult time disputing any of my claims. This post isn't to "burn" anyone.. but hopefully bring attention to areas that XenForo staff/developers need to improve in.

Last edited:

I'm looking at IPS as well. Probably in next couple of months I'll pull the trigger to buy a license.

In terms of price, XF is cheaper if you just need a forum, if you add third party addons, it will cost your more money from my experience. Don't forget, there is a risk that these third party addons to be abandoned by developers (we've seen that).

My first forum made with XF. Cost me more than $600 for addons itself, some of them were uninstalled due of being unmaintained. I would be more than happy to pay these money to XF apps, rather than third party developers.

Nowadays, you need more than just a forum.

I really hope the wait will be worth it, however I doubt that even the new XF version will be able to compete on the market with other forum softwares.

Only recently I still thought I would not chime in here in this thread, but... when I read the IPS forums (first time ever today), it hurts me to realize how responsive the developers seem to be there, engaging with the community and providing relevant and timely updates. Totally different what we see here. There is no denying that, no matter how strongly tinted XF glasses you have on. I now wonder if I made a mistake buying a branding free option and renewing three XF licenses for two more years. Well, I didn't. I gladly did that to support the experience of the past years.

I miss the old days when Mike et al were very active here. What happened, really? I've tried really hard to give the benefit of the doubt here, but it's hard to keep believing that everything will be fine and things will pick up again. Gosh, I really don't like the IPS software visually at all, XF still has the superior user experience of all software, but this stagnation in development and communication needs to be overcome.

It almost feels like XF developers were more of family members with all of us before, but now they are taking a step back and distancing themselves from the community. Which feels sad. And the fact that it feels sad, means XF means a lot.

I hope I'm not out of bounds saying this out loud, I don't mean ill, I want all the best for this community and the staff, too.

Some of this is also due to a lack of communication or a promise that cannot be kept.

Why is there not a little more information about the schedule for the next version.
The only one who still says something here that is @Brogan but we can't do much with that either but just wait and see.

Every day the frustration grows here which is unnecessary and unfortunate.
Communication is the key here, give us something please!

For me, XF 2.2 is working fine but I'd really like to see official support for:
  • Google Analytics 4
  • Elasticsearch 8
  • WebP
  • Accelerated Mobile Pages
  • Wordpress Integration
  • Dark Mode
  • Cloudflare
  • Google One Tap sign-in
  • Blogs
  • CLS, LCP, TTI
AMP is already a very useless technology, it was said that it will no longer have a privilege. But I agree with others.

Ngl, the fact that the last “have you seen” post was made in May 2022, says a lot. (And no, this is not asking for much to get some sort of new post there within this timeframe). https://xenforo.com/community/forums/have-you-seen/

The last 4 of them seem to be things that would have made more sense to post in the resource manager rather than a random news post, the last have you seen post that was actually about XenForo functionality was August 2020

Ngl, the fact that the last “have you seen” post was made in May 2022, says a lot. (And no, this is not asking for much to get some sort of new post there within this timeframe). https://xenforo.com/community/forums/have-you-seen/
As mentioned above the last functionality update was in August 2020.
IPS is rather expensive when compared to XF in many ways. BUT they do offer more "functions/fun" than XF currently does. They also offer a more complete suite of products that can be used to leverage your site better in some instances.
As I've told many that have asked... you have to look at what you need and what the script developers provide. If you basically need a simple forum, XF does fine. But if you need more than that then you need to look elsewhere or expect to expend a noticeable amount on 3rd party add-ons. XF has pretty much missed the bus on being much more than a simple forum provider. Their media and resource implementations are simply OK (and in some points are lacking).
You have to also realize that IPS is doing more regular updates/function improvements than XF is.
I really like XF... but their sitting on their thumbs is doing them more damage in the market than anything.
If it wasn't for @Bob's add-ons and the fact that IPS is looking at doing away with standalone scripts in the near future, I'd probably be running IPS on my current site as "bang for the buck", XF is sucking hind teat when it comes down to the fact that many of my 3rd party add-ons could be recreated (with some effort and in most cases not as well without significant time investment and equating to about $300 in current costs not including renewal requirements) in IPS Pages (when you consider I'm smart enough to be able to code basics that I need in it).
Let's simply discard the fact that XF seems to simply ignore suggestions that have existed for a decade (or slightly more) and have high votes. One should simply realize that the ultimate target of XF has apparently nothing to do with end user suggestions and only is pertinent to the developers desires/choices. They have an apparent concrete mindset of where they want XF to go, and suggestions are generally looked at and discarded, with the developers priorities taking the forefront. It appears to be that the primary desire is to off-load any "advancements" to 3rd party and to minimize their input/requirements.
And this is from someone who has been running XF for over a decade (and still likes it)... I've seen the history and the repeat of it time and time again over that 10 years. The ONLY major advancement I have seen in that time was when Chris Deeming came onboard as a developer and suddenly XF had a media add-on that was originally 3rd party. All else has actually been minor advancements, many of which were already serviced by 3rd party developers (which they seem to push most of the load off on). The MAIN improvement from 1.x to 2.x line was to make it easier for 3rd party developers... NOTHING of note for the end license user.

What is really pitiful is that this is from someone who has been a strong proponent of XF from the nasty vB lawsuit days... but there does reach a point where one has to call out the apparently lackadaisical attitude of the developers to task. There are many important bugs listed that have not been addressed in months... for some, these bugs have been "show-stopping" in nature.
They simply need to realize that they need to communicate better. Yes, they had to devote time to getting their cloud election out... but did that process freeze their fingers from keeping their script license holders from being "kept in the know"? Nope. They could have simply stated that their current point of concentration was getting an SaaS offering out, and that stand-alone script progress would be derailed until that was done. Did they do that? No, it apparently never entered their minds until they were called out about it. Closed mouth, and the inquisitions began. Basically, in a nutshell... they shot themselves in the foot with a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with double ought buckshot. And in some ways, that stupidity continues.
There are NUMEROUS bugs, some of which are show-stopping for some, that have existed for months and STILL are not addressed.
And yes, I realize that this may "torque" some of the developers (or staff) off.. but facts remain that. XF is currently falling down on the job of keeping their script updated in a timely manner AND keeping their license holders updated. What should really be worrisome to them is someone with a decade plus history of strong support for them is starting to have issues with their "responsiveness" to issues.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the fact that I don't want to re-create most of @Bob's add-ons over in IPS Pages (and the fact that stand-alone script support is questionable past the next version), I'd probably have converted over to them. So yes, the main reason I'm still at XF is NOT the XF development team (which updates really sucks recently), but simply because the fantastic support of multiple 3rd party add-ons. XF has no real bearing on it.

Let me reiterate.. I REALLY enjoy the XF environment overall (as a licensed user for over a decade). What I have issues with is apparent overall ignoring of licensed users suggestions (especially those with high votes that have been in existence for a decade or more) and the fact that they have an apparent issue with getting major bug fixes resolved in a timely manner. It's almost a "we know what you need, so sit down and shut up" attitude.
Will this p*ss certain XF staff/developers off.. most likely (and I expect to get a warning and posting suspension for "going against them").. but the simple fact remains... you will have a difficult time disputing any of my claims. This post isn't to "burn" anyone.. but hopefully bring attention to areas that XenForo staff/developers need to improve in.
Good summary. A critical note about 3rd party developers and 3rd party addons. 50% of XF2 addons are created/controlled by two members @Ozzy47 and @AndyB. If they leave or something happens (like we've seen many times over the years here at XF) there goes 50% of the 3rd party addons.

This worries me a bit about XF.

101 Pages of total addons for XF2

25 of those are @Ozzy47 and another 21 @AndyB

I moved back over because I didn’t like the way they were pushing going away from self-hosted licenses. I think they have walked that back some. I like the option of Cloud for those that want to use it, I just don't want to be forced into it.
Yes, it's a shame that they're moving towards cloud nowadays. We're now over 4 months into 2023 and still nothing, not even bug fixes.

And then we have the problem of the lack of updates to XF and communication which doesn't bode well. The market for forum software is unfortunately so small, that it's hard to find a product that ticks all, or most of the boxes nowadays.

The self hosted IPS version is expensive enough, with the hosted version way out of the ordinary user's price range unless the most basic versions are taken.

Last edited:
I'll probably have to repurchase the plugins and theme as the whole system will change.
For 2.3? Unlikely. 2.2 just required updates to add-ons and themes at most. 2.0 was last one to require a wholesale overhaul of add-ons and themes. Which means 3.0 is the one to dread on that front. Assuming they do this right, 2.3 should have no more impact than 2.2 did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom