XF 2.3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh, i was not talking about additional features like social grouping which can be ignored by folks who have no interest in them. my fears were mostly based on how vb4/5 completely changed how the frontend worked which was very unlike v3.

oh, i was not talking about additional features like social grouping which can be ignored by folks who have no interest in them. my fears were mostly based on how vb4/5 completely changed how the frontend worked which was very unlike v3.
Ahhh. Yes. XF forums are working great and don't need too much but there is a lot of good stuff that would make it great for developers (like custom field search & filter) that would be awesome.

Unified "What's New" would be nice as well. At least the option for it.

And making the pages score better with Google's page speed.

also worried about smaller things lol. ipb got rid of post bbcode editor iirc. all you get is the visual editor. and stuff like that. rendering more rich content in the editor. formatting is fine. i really dislike the idea of dealing with embeds in the post editor. anyways. would probably get used to changes like these eventually. here's hoping hys threads would arrive in a few weeks/months!

XF DO need some modernization in terms of how their content is delivered/discovered, which is essential in this time, at least if you want to attract anyone younger than 30. I've talked about this before, @Mike C from Themehouse has talked about this before... More of a feed page, with live filtering options on the side, unified "create" button (images, resources, thread, addon devs can add in here their own [content_type] etc). Which can also serve as a the forum front instead of the "legacy" forum node list. There, Invision is further ahead..
But admins should still be able to have a "classic" look if that's the target for their audience.

I also highly want to see improvements in terms of speed, as search engines do definitely take that into account in results. So anything that can improve the speed score is welcome..

Still, I'm waiting to get the xenporta license just in case...
Since 1 and 2 are presumably like this, I say that there will be no major structural changes that would require rewriting the xenforo addons. For example, the spaminator should not be affected 🤣 @Chris D He knows better, but does he answer?

Last edited:
See, that's my point. Chris is suggesting that major upgrade works from 2.2 to 2.3 are 'unlikely'. This says to me that the base framework of 2.x isn't changing much, so either:

1. Chris has misjudged the scale of add-ons vs core (unlikely as he's seen first hand what folks are doing with Cloud)
2. It's new base functionality that is parallel to existing and doesn't touch existing stuff much.
3. It's new first party functionality in add-on form.

To me, a content management tool seems most likely - because I think groups would need deeper integration than a content tool would, at least to do it right.

But I'll wait to see, and no doubt renew my licence when it's time... gotta have the new shiny, right?

Indeed, it's got boring. Can't wait for the all new 'XF 2.4 ?' gripe-fest thread myself :cool:
Before we get there, we'll have the thread whining about how 2.3 robbed us of all the things we didn't know we didn't have, didn't care about, didn't want but didn't get anyway. And how disappointed people are for the wait, because people don't deserve nice things in this world any more.

2.3 most likely has big additions but doesn't break any addon APIs especially since it's a point release unlike a 3.0 release which could break APIs and require addon re-writes.

2.3 most likely has big additions but doesn't break any addon APIs especially since it's a point release unlike a 3.0 release which could break APIs and require addon re-writes.
Both 2.1 and 2.2 had some big additions that I seem to recall did break some APIs (but not massive ones). I feel like this is in a slightly different vein.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom