XF 2.2 XF 2.2.9 and PHP 8.1

FTL

Great to see XF 229 released just now, looking forward to installing it. Just a quick clarification please.

I see that compatibility with PHP 8.1 has been improved in several areas, but is it now recommended to use it on a production system?

It seems to me it still isn't, especially as the system requirements page shows as below. I want to use the highest version of PHP that's recommended.

1649873229004.webp

@Rhody You need to tick the box for the relevant php settings in capon (if its not there your host needs to sort it) - looks like gmp extension is missing, tick the gmp box (think its in advanced in php multi ) and then try php 8.1

The techs at the ISP were unable to resolve this, and I worked with 4 of 5 of them. GMP was on. It works fine with 7.4.x and 8.0.x but not 8.1.4 in this shared environment. Probably something wonky with that particular version, and I'll try it again in 6 months after the next 8.1.x comes along. So for now, I'm at 8.0.xx and that's OK :)
Thx all

I'm loving all these positive reports of XF on PHP 8.1.x running with no problem. Keep the feedback coming! (Both positive and negative)

I look forward to moving to 8.1.x when it's officially supported.

If your on cloud linux then in cpanel/whm you have two choices - you can either use cloudlinix php selector or cpanels multi php selector so make sure when you say you enabled GMP it was in the correct php selector your using as enabling it in the cloudlinux options wont make any difference if your using cpanels php selector and vice versa - you may have to have your host check if you havent the options yourself.....

Last edited:
Upgrading is the smart thing to do because some CVE's were identified:
Indeed, for this reason I always run the latest 8.0.x version. It's so easy to roll it back that I just install it, do a quicky functionality test and call it done. I only ever had one problem where one particular version broke the site completely, 8.0.7 I think, but was fixed in the next.

Upgrading is the smart thing to do because some CVE's were identified:
The same CVEs are indicated as fixed in both the 7.4 and 8.0 branches too - as has been standard practice for PHP for many years at this point, where whatever versions still getting security releases get the patches too if they need them.

Top Bottom