XF 2.0 will cost me about $10,000

You will be able to register and use it as a normal user.

You just can't download it and run it yourself.

I'm not going to worry about XF2 just yet. I'm only running 14 add ons, but they are by 10 different developers, so that's 10 people that have to work to update these add ons and I'm sure they have more than 1 add on to update, so it will depend on which order they rewrite, so I'm expecting it to be many months before add ons will be compatible with XF2. Also, it will mean having to rewrite all template mods, style edits, css, etc. Even if a stable version was release today, I wouldn't expect to actually use it until early 2018.

How's everyone's Tuesday? Good I hope. I'm about to eat some oatmeal and drink some green tea.

I'm not looking forward to updating my addons - I have loads.

I will prioritise paid ones with the most licence holders, which seems the fairest way to do it...

The best option would be give the XF team could just release an out of the box version that does everything everyone wants.

Come on lads! It can't be that hard ;)

You will be able to register and use it as a normal user.

You just can't download it and run it yourself.
To be honest, that will be of very little use, I, like a number of others will have a fair bit to do to get it going in our environment, almost all of it 'under the hood' and the eariler I can start, the better.

Reactions: Xon
Indeed, it will be of immense use.

By having it used by what should be a reasonable amount of users, we can see how the software performs in action, highlight anything that's missing or otherwise not functioning as expected, and fix those things (with greater ease because we can troubleshoot directly). By doing this, it will be of use to everyone because it means you will begin working with something that should be relatively stable.

I should stress, even when we eventually make the alpha publicly downloadable, this is still considered to be mostly for development and demonstration purposes. You will not be able to upgrade to it, nor will you be able to import into it.

I'm looking forward to testing (& helping find bugs!) out XF2. :)

Either way, XF2 is going to be ready when it's ready. So the fact that we can play with it before it's actually ready for download is perfectly okay with me! I'd rather get that than have to wait even longer to be able to test it when I can download it.

I doubt I will move to 2.0 until it offers users features that we deem desirable. A release that benefits primarily developers won't persuade my membership. Upgrades are mostly headaches.
Agreed. We'll be running 1.5.x until the benefits of 2.0 become obviously apparent for the members.
XF 2.0 will cost me about $10,000
How are you calculating this? If it's cost outlaid to date, it should be significantly lower, considering many of the add-on's should be ports and not complete rewrites.

How are you calculating this? If it's cost outlaid to date, it should be significantly lower, considering many of the add-on's should be ports and not complete rewrites.

Most add ons are going to be complete rewrites. Reading up on the Xenforo 2.0 topic, the structure and code will be different. And that will require a rewrite of the add ons.

Top Bottom