1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 2.0 will cost me about $10,000

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by king8084, Sep 26, 2016.

1. king8084

king8084 Active Member

i have about 25 custom made add ons

i hope xf never goes 2.0

rip me

semprot, adonismale and jauburn like this.
  2. RobParker

RobParker Well-Known Member

You don't need to move to XF 2 if you're happy with XF 1.

I know some forums used such a heavily modified VB2 that they never moved to VB3 for example.

3. James

James Well-Known Member

Fairly sure it'll cost people like @digitalpoint and @Stuart Wright even more but you don't see them posting threads complaining about it :rolleyes: as with everything in life you can continue to use the current version, hence why people still run Windows XP/Vista despite the latest version being Win10.

maszd, Lucas, Divvens and 1 other person like this.
  4. RobParker

RobParker Well-Known Member

Think Stuart said they'd spent well over 100K on development!

5. king8084

king8084 Active Member

its not a serious thread just having some fun, no need for the snarks

Frode789, Erel and Neutral Singh like this.
  6. Bionic Rooster

Bionic Rooster Well-Known Member

You started the "snarks" I guess you can dish it out but can't take it eh?

7. king8084

king8084 Active Member

you guys so serious need some gfs tbh

Neutral Singh likes this.
  8. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

I felt the general tone of this thread was light-hearted banter when I first read it; it has taken a somewhat serious tone.

Either way, as has been pointed out, should any one be genuinely concerned about the upgrade to XF 2.0, it is of course optional and we hope the preview stages will be long enough for most people to get their boards ready (and their resources) somewhat close to when it is ultimately released.

If you have already invested time and money into XF1 development, there is certainly some level of work required to get that XF2 ready, but it doesn't necessarily need to be the same amount of work again. We hope that people will take the time to make the most of the new things we've developed for XF2, but with some amount of refactoring it shouldn't be too difficult to port most stuff over.

We're still working hard towards having a preview installation for everyone to try out (on track for Autumn/Q4), and if all goes well there will be a downloadable preview which will be ideal for the purposes of getting started on your XF 2.0 development.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    dehness, Lisa, MstrfBlng and 9 others like this.
  9. king8084

king8084 Active Member

really?

damn need to get my priorities in order then, didnt expect it this soon

and yes this is just light banter tbh

10. empire

empire Well-Known Member

That's very good to know!

And I hear you @king8084. It won't cost us anywhere near as much, but the costs will still bite. Progress is expensive!

king8084 likes this.
  11. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Just for clarity: We're on track to have an installation of XF 2.0 for you guys to play with as users this year, Q4. This will be hosted here for the purposes of testing the software as users, finding bugs and providing feedback.

This was announced here:
    The downloadable preview will be available some time after that feedback gathering takes place. We don't have a date for this, yet, as it depends on how quickly we get finished the final pieces of the puzzle and how much work the feedback generates ;)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    wedgar, eva2000, Divvens and 2 others like this.
  12. Teapot

Teapot Well-Known Member

I get the pain – it's going to cost me rather a lot of otherwise-billable hours to get my add-ons rewritten. That said, I'm seeing it as an opportunity – the two custom applications on my site are literally the first two programming projects I ever completed, so they're a bit... rickety, let's say. :D I'm looking forward to the chance to rip them both out and start from scratch with the 3+ years of professional experience I gained between then and now!

RobinHood, king8084 and James like this.
  13. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

In a case like this, I would have to suggest at least upgrading to Windows 7 as Windows XP is no longer supported at all and Windows Vista's extended support ends April 11, 2017. That and Windows Vista has some issues that Windows 7 fixed.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

You're putting yourself at risk by using Windows XP or lower.

14. Robru

Robru Active Member

I would choose a XF2.0 testboard alongside the original XF1.5.x

15. James

James Well-Known Member

I never said me personally!

16. jauburn

jauburn Well-Known Member

I doubt I will move to 2.0 until it offers users features that we deem desirable. A release that benefits primarily developers won't persuade my membership. Upgrades are mostly headaches.

dehness and Robru like this.
  17. jauburn

I won't be leaving Windows 7 until I'm much older and grayer. Win8 and 10 showed me all I need to see. No, thanks.

DBA, wedgar and maszd like this.
  18. jauburn

One thing I hope 2.x does is bring thread title editing under the normal Edit Post screen. As it is, changing a thread title is a separate deal from editing a post. Unintuitive for members.

empire likes this.
  19. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

I wasn't talking about you personally, just saying. :)

20. jacko

jacko Active Member

Isn't this quarter ending in 4 days?