XenWord Pro [Deleted]

I have a few questions:

A few? ;)

Is it possible to use the plugin without bridging user accounts, to just use the thread-creation-on-new-WordPress-post feature?

The user_id and IDs must match so that login is done properly. If you wanted to only align the authors, editors, contributors, and administrators then it should be fine and you can turn off writing to the database. However, once the plugin is installed then no one can register on the WordPress side. XenForo becomes the master database.

How are WordPress and XenForo accounts merged? For example, if a user has the same username and email address in separate WP/XF accounts, and I activate this plugin with default settings, what happens?

This is very weak in the script. There isn't any merging done by the script. If the user_id exists then nothing is written. Alignment is done manually before activating the script.

I noticed this is compatible with WooCommerce. If an XF user has a WP account they used to purchase things from my WooCommerce store, will they be able to review their old account information and purchases? How are new WooCommerce customers handled? Are they required to be signed into an XF account before they can make a purchase?

The key is ... the user_id and ID between WordPress and XenForo must match.

All new customers would register through XenForo, since it is the master database. You'd modify the WordPress theme to use the XenForo login widget included with the bridge.

Does the comment count for the WP post reflect the number of replies its corresponding thread has? What happens if this thread is merged with another?

Good questions. The count is based on the XenForo replies. I've never tried merging with the latest alphas and the new comment code (incomplete, thus alpha versions). In other words, I have no idea what would happen. The thread_link might be a problem and would have to be manually changed in the database.

Are the XenForo replies copied over as comments in the WordPress database? If so, how are edits/deletes/BBcode handled?

Not yet - that is the goal. There is a file for BBCode replacements. It catches many of the basics but a developer asked for some changes a few weeks ago and this hasn't been touched.

What are the long-term plans for this plugin? It's obviously managing a critical part of our site's infrastructure, so I'm curious what your thoughts are on where this might be in 5 or even 10 years from now. I have been burned in the past by abandoned plugins, so it's something I'm quite wary of now.

More great questions. I became sick in May of last year. Gracie tried to help but became exhausted answering the same questions over and over again. Sales were halted until I was well enough to start coding again. This time, RLL has come on board to help with programming but he's still learning.

In other words ... if I died ... the code exists for others to take over. I've learned to heavily code with comments (doc blocks) so that things are obvious. Any good developer should be able to pick up where I left off...

Now, if I remain alive ... (I hope !).... I'm a school teacher. My days are filled with high school students. Things get in the way of coding (grades, lesson planning, back to school night, open house, meetings, conferences, professional development....). That is just reality. However, it's my plugin. I'm self-taught, screw up, mess up, get it right, fix it, make another mess type of code. Most people have been extremely generous. Most are great at making suggestions or being patient as I struggle to figure out why someone works under one condition and fails under another. Sometimes code just has to bake in my mind for a long time before it comes out the fingertips. :)

Hope this answers your questions. Again - the key is the user_id and ID matching.

PS. There is a YouTube channel for XenWord or just go to xenword.com ...

:P Thank you so much for all these answers, I feel like I have a much better understanding of how it works under the hood now. As you know, investing in this type of plugin is a big commitment, so I want to be sure I have all the info.

I became sick in May of last year.
I must apologize; I was not aware of the plugin's history or your health - my question seems quite insensitive in this context and that was not my intent. I'm sorry and wish you the best!

:p Thank you so much for all these answers, I feel like I have a much better understanding of how it works under the hood now. As you know, investing in this type of plugin is a big commitment, so I want to be sure I have all the info.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. The xenword.com site has information that might help. Feel free to download the trial version.

I must apologize; I was not aware of the plugin's history or your health - my question seems quite insensitive in this context and that was not my intent. I'm sorry and wish you the best!

No need to apologize. Gracie told me I had to be more open about it otherwise people might misunderstand. It's very simple, my blood pressure was 199/135 for months. The first meds caused lots of side effects. The right combination of meds now has my pressure sitting at 108 most of the time. Two weeks ago I was told that I can start exercising again.

Spent the day working on the PHP / CSS on the Featured Forum Widget in XenWord 3.0.2.07. This is finally starting to look like XenForo even though it is a WordPress widget displayed on a WP page.

Screen Shot 2016-03-19 at 4.45.10 PM.webp

Work on the tabbed widget took a major leap forward this evening.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

LPH updated XenWord with a new update entry:

Featured Forum Widget CSS Fixes; Other Bug Fixes for Several Widgets

XenWord 3.0.2.07 is now available in the download area of the store. This release is marked alpha because it is feature incomplete. The release is installed on Tux Reports, and the front page shows off some of the new features.

XenWord 3.0.2.07 includes CSS fixes to the featured forum widget, added conditionals to thread link and post ratings, and several bug fixes for several widgets.

If you are...

Read the rest of this update entry...

@LPH, can you solve problem with unparsed bb-code [caption id="attachment_*" align="alignnone" width="*"][/caption]? It's from "Create Thread for Post" option when image on wordpress post has description. Maybe you can remove it on crossposting to XenForo?

@LPH, can you solve problem with unparsed bb-code [caption id="attachment_*" align="alignnone" width="*"][/caption]? It's from "Create Thread for Post" option when image on wordpress post has description. Maybe you can remove it on crossposting to XenForo?

I appreciate you letting me know and it's a great suggestion that should be added but please do me a huge favor and always post bug reports and suggestions on Tux Reports. This helps track bugs and suggestions much better than posting here.

Right now I'm struggling with timestamp being locale rather than timezone and it's consuming. I'd hate to lose your suggestion and wanted to answer you immediately.

New Widgets, New Options

( 105 ) Alpha Release 3.0.3.01 - March 26, 2016
New Staff Online widget and Top Posters widget
Added Master On / Off switch for Widgets
Added On / Off switch for a new author redirect to WordPress pages
Enhanced Members Online Widget; shows avatars and links to member profile
Conditional for comment_status added to thread creation: respects "Allow Comments" checkbox in post edit
Time / Date format on Featured Forum changed to relative time
Sort order on Featured Forum changed to...

Post_id and Post Ratings bug fixes

This version has very important bug fixes and all sites should be upgraded if the site is using the comment system and post ratings.

Bug fixes include a fix to the post_id meta not being overwritten as well as the merge of older WordPress comments. A major change was done to the post ratings file, changing it to a class as well as fixing the use of thread_id meta in the post meta table.

Other changes were very minor and cosmetic.

Changelog
( 106 ) Alpha Release 3.0.3.02 – March 31,...

Hi, I just purchased xenword (lifetime license). As I was reading the installation instructions, my heart sank when I saw the bit about manually aligning user IDs between the databases. I have 30,000 forum members, and a couple thousand of those members are in the WP database. I was using vBulletin, but just migrated to xF (the forums are scheduled to re-open this morning). The users in the WP database were actually pulled in directly from the vBulletin database whenever an existing forum member logged into WP. I had some custom bridging code in place to accomplish this. None of the IDs match, though. I can't go through and manually match up more than 2,000 accounts, so what are my options here? Thanks for any help you can provide--I really need this software! :)

I have 30,000 forum members, and a couple thousand of those members are in the WP database.

Hi

You have the most complex of the situations for this bridge but that is okay. It will take time to make the adjustments. Practice on a local development environment so you get used to all of the options in the plugin.

Manual alignment is for Administrators, Editors, Authors, and Contributors only. It's also best to manually align accounts that have made WordPress comments, too. Alignment only involves changes in the user and usermeta tables of WordPress, not XenForo (never make changes in the XenForo).

After you have aligned, the XenForo database becomes the master. This means the user_ids from XenForo are important. There is an option to enable user mapping. I highly recommend this is done after you've manually aligned the accounts you think are important. Next, enable the option to write to the WP database. This will write the roles and capabilities.

Please use the support website. I am not always here, and Gracie, RLL, or another person can help you faster on the plugin support site.

Question before I decide to purchase. On my wordpress I have the Disqus comment system added, with that bridge over to Xenforo? I want to be able to sure that if my members post on the thread that it will show up on my wordpress Disqus comment system.

Question before I decide to purchase. On my wordpress I have the Disqus comment system added, with that bridge over to Xenforo? I want to be able to sure that if my members post on the thread that it will show up on my wordpress Disqus comment system.

I'm unaware of anyone who has successfully tied XenForo and Disqus. Disqus is a WordPress comment system replacement with it's own API.

At this point, XenForo replies are displayed below a WP post and it is possible to have the WP comment written to the XenForo thread as a reply. The opposite does not exist (yet). So, no, it isn't possible for someone to write a XenForo reply and have it show up on the Disqus comment system.

You might consider something like this plugin.
https://wordpress.org/plugins/gplus-comments/faq/

I used to use it a year ago but the developer hasn't changed anything for a year. But it'll keep discussions fragmented.

Manual alignment is for Administrators, Editors, Authors, and Contributors only. It's also best to manually align accounts that have made WordPress comments, too.
No problem at all on the first part, but manually aligning all the commenters is nigh impossible. There are just too many users who fall into that category--I'm talking well in excess of 1,000. What are the the implications of not manually aligning accounts that have commented to blogs?

Please use the support website. I am not always here, and Gracie, RLL, or another person can help you faster on the plugin support site.
Apologies. I'll pick things up there. :)

At this point, XenForo replies are displayed below a WP post and it is possible to have the WP comment written to the XenForo thread as a reply. ....

Hi,

do you have screenshots how this looks like?

In your description you published your roadmap:

Roadmap
XenWord 1.x = Washington (initial releases)
XenWord 2.x = Adams (strengthen integration on WP side)
XenWord 3.x = Jefferson (strengthen integration on XF side)
XenWord 4.x = Madison (Clean up class structure; focus on backend for logins)
XenWord 5.x = Monroe (Focus on Themes)

1. How long do you estimate will it take, until you have Level 5 for production sites available?

2. How will later on work in real life. Will the theme of Wordpress be the one of Xenforo like with the addons Xenporta 2 or CTA and we do not have to do anything?

Thanks

1. How long do you estimate will it take, until you have Level 5 for production sites available?

I'm not a programmer by any definition. This bridge was developed because of my need and it's taken years to learn enough to cobble things together. Development is always based on my limited knowledge and the pace at which I learn.

This means, once something becomes clear then I immediately can fix something. There are other times I struggle. In other words -- there can be no publishable timeline. It would be wrong and unfair.

Version 3 development was very slow last spring through fall due to health issues. This prompted me to bring on some help. Gracie does a good job with support and RLL has been very quietly learning the script. He's learning, too.

Version 3 is in alpha due to features being incomplete. In particular, for years the Comment System has been poor. XenForo replies will display but they are not written to the WordPress database. Technically this is a major change in the plugin feature set.

Will the theme of Wordpress be the one of Xenforo like with the addons Xenporta 2 or CTA and we do not have to do anything?

Since WordPress and XenForo are very different software packages, trying to match theme is not a feature set of XenWord. This may change after XenForo releases 2.0.

WordPress 4.5 may become available Tuesday April 12, 2016. This will require an upgrade to the latest XenWord 3 release.

Why must I upgrade XenWord?
WordPress developers deprecated an important function in the WordPress pluggable file. Login will not function properly and XenForo member information will not properly be written to the WordPress database.

Annual License Holders
All annual license holders from January 2015 forward who did not renew may get the 3.x upgrade for free. Please contact @Gracie with the date of purchase of the annual license and she will send you the latest zip file. Lifetime license holders already have access to the latest 3 version and may download the release in the store.

XenWord 3
XenWord 3 is in alpha. This is due to the Comment System work being incomplete. You may look at the bug forums and notice a major shift from modifying core tables to properly using the WordPress meta tables. This shift has been very challenging but most everything is working now for comments. Features now match previous XenWord 2 releases and I'm now working with @RLL to improve the Comment System.

Fine Tuning PHP Code after PHP Inspection Plugin Installed

( 108 ) Alpha Release 3.0.4.01 - April 8, 2016
Bug Fix: Line 80 Counts.php
Bug Fix: Changed code for redirects for logout on WP Toolbar
Bug Fix: Access modifiers in class-xenword-redirects.php
PHP Inspection: xenword.php, change to __DIR__
PHP Inspection: class-xenword-activator.php change != to !== and remove two returns
PHP Inspection: class-xenword-deactivator.php remove return, use single quote
PHP Inspection: class-xenword-action-links.php user __DIR__
PHP Inspection:...

I think I bought this a long long time ago when it very first came out (are there other XF/WP bridges?) but anyway I'm trying to reset my password to see if I did however it's impossible to do on your site with the 'Slide to verify" and using touch screen devices (iPad Pro).

Anyway around that?

Top Bottom