Add-on XenReviews [CrowdFund]

Would you buy this add on?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
[...]it is very difficult to visually represent what the final product will look like.[...]
I understand, and appreciate, but for me this is very important because this is what the users interact with, and the appeal has to be there, supporting the functionality, to engage the users and make them want to come back and participate. For any future mock-ups, I'd be more than happy with a whiteboard scribble and a photo of, than spending time with mspaint.

A side note in relation to the investments all of us are making and hopefully others will make to:
Will you be putting all other projects on the back burner to make sure that this very large project is completed without delay?

Since Jeff already answered on his behalf, I'm going to respond in a singular sense. Once the project reaches $1,500 I will start to work on the system lightly. During this time I will continue to work on my ad manager and a few other small add ons that I maintain. Once the project is fully funded, I am going to primarily focus on this project as it will be my top priority. With that said I don't intend on abandoning my existing add ons but I also don't plan on starting anything new. The review system will take up a big majority of my time until completion (and probably even after completition).

We both recognize how great this can be.

It just struck me that this addon would greatly benefit by integrating with showcase addon by Bob, and vice versa.... Showcase acting as a movie database, Xenreviews acting as reviews of those movies.... Just adding a tab to the showcase and vice versa on the Xenreviews would really be a awesome combo.

It just struck me that this addon would greatly benefit by integrating with showcase addon by Bob, and vice versa.... Showcase acting as a movie database, Xenreviews acting as reviews of those movies.... Just adding a tab to the showcase and vice versa on the Xenreviews would really be a awesome combo.
Good idea, ... for a 1.5 release. I'd say not for the 1.0 release.
Showcase is so good it should add it's own Reviews :)

I just got an alert for this thread and was looking at my showcase installation at the same time. Also having a few beers, so I posted my thought before it was lost to the alcohol....

Unfortunately pozzible does not offer escrow. As its a significant investment it will be sent through escrow.com with milestones.
For future reference, http://www.indiegogo.com is for crowdfunding and holds monies until target is met. If not met in time stated, monies are returned to contributors. If met, it is given to the campaign creator.

For future reference, http://www.indiegogo.com is for crowdfunding and holds monies until target is met. If not met in time stated, monies are returned to contributors. If met, it is given to the campaign creator.
Yeah that is how pozzible works also. An escrow is where they hold the money until the product is delivered though not just until the goal is reached.

Two different scenarios I think. With most crowdfunding sites, the money is pledged but not collected until the financial goal is reached. At that point the funds are transferred from payer to payee. This ensures that payers don't lose their investment if the financial goal is not reached, but offers no promise of the ultimate delivery of a product or service.

With escrow, the funds may be withheld by the middleman after the financial goal is reached and doled out to the payee in increments based on predetermined performance milestones. This is an attempt to ensure that invested funds are spent for actual work performed.

I'd say the chances of Alfa1 reneging on his long sought after Reviews addon are so low that the money in escrow seems fair to me.
That being said, Daniel seems very trustworthy :)

@Alfa1 should know better than most ....

Devil-is-in-the-Details-300x300.jpg

These situations go bad because of poor communication between what people want ... and what the developer thought they said.

The more nitty gritty details discussed the better.

With most crowdfunding sites, the money is pledged but not collected until the financial goal is reached.
Indiegogo takes payment at time of pledge, so funds are already available/committed if target is reached. As the campaign creator, I believe you can set milestone percentage payment dates, and it takes a % of pledges to vote that funds can be released, with the backing of indiegogo if needed to resolve a dispute (when not enough votes received)

Indiegogo takes payment at time of pledge, so funds are already available/committed if target is reached. As the campaign creator, I believe you can set milestone percentage payment dates, and it takes a % of pledges to vote that funds can be released, with the backing of indiegogo if needed to resolve a dispute (when not enough votes received)

Ah, so it's really more than a crowdfunding site - it's some kind of hybrid between crowdfunding and escrow I guess.

I understand, and appreciate, but for me this is very important because this is what the users interact with, and the appeal has to be there, supporting the functionality, to engage the users and make them want to come back and participate. For any future mock-ups, I'd be more than happy with a whiteboard scribble and a photo of, than spending time with mspaint.
I completely understand the importance of the interface, I wasn't trying to downplay that at all. All I was saying is it is very hard for us to illustrate the final project for you, when the project has barely even begun. I'm no expert at GUI design, but I am decent, and I will make sure it is a friendly, sleek interface.

As for the whiteboard scribble - I wish I could show you the chat logs between me and Daniel haha. I tried explaining to him that in this sense a whiteboard scribble is almost better than an HTML or photoshop mockup, because at this point the concept of the layout is more important than the actual appearance of it. Once we get an actual module setup and begin to lay the project out, I will provide you with some more basic wireframe mockups - it is easier to get the database design setup first, that way we know what will be in the output.

it is easier to get the database design setup first, that way we know what will be in the output.
I think that's my point really, it should be the end result, the deliverable, that's clear and without misunderstanding or unsurity as to how the concept looks. And then you work on the mechanics to produce the concept design or produce the content required. If you do the mechanics first, then your end goal is constrained by the bounds of the mechanics. Any way, not trying to tell you both how to run/develop the project just adding to the discussion and giving a point of view. It's just that unsurity is what is stopping me coming on board at this point in time.

I completely understand that. Just stay tuned and hopefully here in a couple weeks we can catch your attention and get you on board!

Most definitely. I'm in for a big one. Unfortunately pozzible does not offer escrow. As its a significant investment it will be sent through escrow.com with milestones.

can you share your contribution amount with the group? ;-) it would be awesome to see where we stand overall with everything currently committed on pozzible, your escrow amount, etc.

can you share your contribution amount with the group? ;-) it would be awesome to see where we stand overall with everything currently committed on pozzible, your escrow amount, etc.

Well see, there's where we are at a standstill. Pozible won't lower the goal for us, and we're afraid to take his contribution through escrow because with doing so the pozible funds may not hit the goal amount and we'll be at a loss and have to set it back up and get everyone to contribute again. We have not actually worked out a way to accept Alfa's money although we do accept his deal.

Alfa can share with you guys the contribution he's willing to make. All I will say is that when we work this out, we'll be fairly close to the goal.

Well see, there's where we are at a standstill. Pozible won't lower the goal for us, and we're afraid to take his contribution through escrow because with doing so the pozible funds may not hit the goal amount and we'll be at a loss and have to set it back up and get everyone to contribute again.
Yes, I was just pondering the exact same thoughts. I still think that it would be optimal to create a new project on pozzible or even indiegogo and port everyone to that one. Why not try that? It should be possible to contact everyone right here.

can you share your contribution amount with the group? ;-)
I'm willing to invest $1000 through escrow.

I'd say the chances of Alfa1 reneging on his long sought after Reviews addon are so low that the money in escrow seems fair to me.
For clarity's sake: Once my funding is loaded into escrow I can not retract it. Escrow is a holding place for the funds until the milestones are met.
https://www.escrow.com/escrow-101/how-it-works-buyerseller.aspx
But you are correct: I have been wanting this functionality for many years and I have very good hopes for this project.

If everyone that has contributed is okay with starting a new crowd-funding campaign with a lower goal ($2000) I would be okay with that, whether it be on pozible again or indiegogo. We need to make sure everybody is okay with re-contributing though, obviously the current pozible campaign would be canceled and those funds would not be collected by us. This would most likely be the easiest way to go, and would almost guarantee that this project gets funded, thus we would be able to start full-time development ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom