1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XenForo vs Xen

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by kyrgyz, Jul 29, 2010.

1. kyrgyz

kyrgyz Well-Known Member

I noticed people are choosing xen part for their domain naming.
    xenfans.com
    xenaddicts.com

Besides, Foro means forum. I envision XenForo becoming more than just forum. So, Foro slated to be outdated.

Xen is a catchy name and easy to remember. Competitors have short or abbreviated names: vB, IPB, PHPBB, MyBB. I think Xen would fit nicely in the line. :)

XenForo is in its infancy and name can be changed without harm right now.

What do you think?

2. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

Chances of being able to acquire xen.com: Somewhere approaching absolute zero.

3. Floris

Floris Guest

xenforo is a trademark, and I respect that. If it isn't yet, it will be I am sure.
    xenforofans.com is also too long, xenfans.com sounds nicer. And not conflicting.
    I can it ex-ef in short, and zen-phoro, in long, during a voice conversation.

4. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

Chances of ever being able to hit the top spot on Google for 'xen' searches : Somewhere approaching absolute zero.

5. Jenny

Jenny New Member

6. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

I'm curious to see how you're going to integrate this one into your network. ;) :D

7. AlexT

AlexT Well-Known Member

Deleted

8. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

It's not a question of if, just a question of "how much". ;)

The fact that you won't be able to get around, however, is the fact that Xen is a registered trademark of the Xen hypervisor. Now, you're still in the UK so I don't know how that would work out, but I assume you can't just come out with a new product named "Xen" and expect to get away with it. :)

9. Floris

Floris Guest

The wetalk network is a tiered system.

Tier 0 is what runs directly under wetalk. Such as the currently vB powered sites that make up a community.
    Tier 1 is what runs under wetalk's umbrella, while hooked in, run stand alone in their own property.
    Tier 2 is what runs under the wetalk's umbrella, but not hooked in, such as the vbirc.com and xenfans.com communities.

Depending on how the future goes, we will tie things in, change them from tier 1 or tier 2 to tier 0.

10. DoctorWatsOn

DoctorWatsOn Well-Known Member

11. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

xF is a nice abbreviation for this software.

12. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

v Bulletin
    xen Foro

vB
    xF

I see some similarities here. :D

13. KURTZ

KURTZ Well-Known Member

OK xenforo is obviously a trademark and obviously none wants grab rights from here ... but, like vbulletin.de (they have a 301 onto their site), i think that the people that want to develop something for their countries (i mean translations and/or support in their idiom) it's not a bad idea ...who knows what's next?

and also i think that this gives to XF more business gates ... don't you?

note: i always thought the jelsoft have done a huge mistake when they had decided to leave some markets, like the italian, french and others ... but that's the mistery of the marketing ... :)

14. kyrgyz

kyrgyz Well-Known Member

Domain can stay xenforo.com
    But company/product name could just be Xen.

For example, Nissan doesn't own nissan.com . Its official site is nissanusa.com .

P.S. Darn... somebody snatched xen.co

15. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Possibly someone who's read this thread.

16. Sean James

Sean James Well-Known Member

From reading the footer of this site:
    ©2010

XenForo is not a trademark yet.

17. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

The trademark isn't registered yet, but is acknowledged. The footer says:

Forum software by XenForo, ©2010 XenForo Ltd