XenForo vs vB

Status
Not open for further replies.
how does this differ from vb? How is it better? its cheaper but im not sure right now if it is the right forum. Im leaning towards vbulletin because im familiar but im also lookng for a cheaper option.

So, under the logic of XF being contemptuous of its customers, they deliver a product that is superior as forum software. Paid and delivered. vB on the other hand does not deliver on the feature set they promised at the time of sale for 4.x, takes years to work on bugs while not doing a whit to make CMS usable, announces that further development of 4.x is on hold while 5 Connect is worked on...then they deliver a supposed beta that is essentially unusable, has a feature set they will not confirm, yet they market it with having +125 features, which no one can list, market the product as having THE MOST mods available- when, my search shows there are NO vB5 mods available, they change license terms so you can't get refund once you download it nor can you transfer the license ( non- EU customers)...and XF is the greater sinner here? One company delivers what was promised, the other did not, but talks a lot about how great things will be someday.

Certainly entitled to your opinion. Just seems to me that between the two, only company that is contemptuous is IB. But then again, we likely disagree on many things. As an alpha tester, you posted a lot of praise for vB5. If you think that is good software, well, then it seems we live on very different planets.

And as usual the best anyone can do is turn everything round to vBulletin! It's like an obsession.

My views relate to the *contemptuous* manner in which the owners of this company have simply abandoned the project (fine in itself), whilst *completely ignoring* the torrent of complaints and questions from paying customers.

But feel free to ignore valid criticism of the Jesus Company, and instead try to focus on competitor products. :rolleyes:

Yes. Like I said, the community is obsessed with competitors, and vBulletin in particular.
Anyone with any criticism of XenForo gets shouted down and abused, yet the same people obsess on how bad vBulletin is.

I, for one, just don't get it. You feel free to post about supposed contemptuous behavior by XF. When someone disagrees, that is bad, and also bad to compare conduct of the two companies, in a thread about - wait for it- a comparison between the two companies. Under how you would have it, it seems, it is bad and abusive unless people agree with you. Sorry, but if you post, you should not be surprised if people respond and disagree.

Well, the thread title is Xenforo vs. VB so everyone entering into this thread should expect that both vbulletin and xenforo subjects are discussed.
Thanks for proving my point. The very fact such a thread exists - YET AGAIN - is further proof of the obsession, and the very fact it is full of "competitor bashing" - despite repeated requests to the contrary - is even more proof.

Maybe read the first post, the OP just asked a honest question, there's no bashing at least by the OP.

At this point I don't even care if there is bashing going on, not at vB or at XF. It's obvious to anyone with half a brain that IB is trying to destroy XF with everything they've got. So who cares, let customers give their honest opinion, trying to close threads and shut people up is not going to solve a thing.

Sure there are limits, but I think the mods are doing an adequate job.

And as usual the best anyone can do is turn everything round to vBulletin! It's like an obsession.

My views relate to the *contemptuous* manner in which the owners of this company have simply abandoned the project (fine in itself), whilst *completely ignoring* the torrent of complaints and questions from paying customers.

But feel free to ignore valid criticism of the Jesus Company, and instead try to focus on competitor products. :rolleyes:

So XF is "dead" in your opinion? Then why not simply phrase it as such - I think or believe XF is a dead product?

And again do you feel vB5 is a superior forum product? (Note: It's a question not an accusation! You've seen it, what do you think of it?)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Yes. Like I said, the community is obsessed with competitors, and vBulletin in particular.
Anyone with any criticism of XenForo gets shouted down and abused, yet the same people obsess on how bad vBulletin is.
That's because in the situation we have, criticism is easy, while praise is long in coming.

It is only when we see the contrast to truly bad software that we are able to realize that, hey, maybe we should pull back on some of the criticism (and I from having that frustration about KAM's lack of responsiveness).

Furthermore, when one considers the personal problems mentioned by KAM as surrounding them at the present moment, that's when you begin to feel guilty for any criticism you might've felt, and it's enough to turn you into a fanboy (or me at least).

I realize this last step may not be for everyone, as people have websites on which their livelihood depends, and so they may not end up rallying behind KAM, but the least everyone can do is be understanding. And if a person decides to temporarily choose another software over XF, then do so without bitterness, but with understanding. That being said, I firmly believe that vb5 makes XF the ideal solution at the present moment, and that's even without the devs' personal lives being back in order. Just the software itself, the future one can have with it, makes one inspired to own software, in light of the vb4/vb5 messes. You can have the bloated IPB, or the zen-like and modern XF.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/august-update.35633/#post-404867

People like you expect Kier to come here and spill his guts on his financial and legal situation so you can feel justified in your purchase made before they were sued, and before this has even gone to trial. Obviously you don't even read the court updates. You're entitled to your opinion so am I. My opinion is you should go back to vbulletin ;)

Reactions: vVv
That's because in the situation we have, criticism is easy, while praise is long in coming.

It is only when we see the contrast to truly bad software that we are able to realize that, hey, maybe we should pull back on some of the criticism (and I from having that frustration about KAM's lack of responsiveness).

Furthermore, when one considers the personal problems mentioned by KAM as surrounding them at the present moment, that's when you begin to feel guilty for any criticism you might've felt, and it's enough to turn you into a fanboy (or me at least).

I realize this last step may not be for everyone, as people have websites on which their livelihood depends, and so they may not end up rallying behind KAM, but the least everyone can do is be understanding. And if a person decides to temporarily choose another software over XF, then do so without bitterness, but with understanding. That being said, I firmly believe that vb5 makes XF the ideal solution at the present moment, and that's even without the devs' personal lives being back in order. Just the software itself, the future one can have with it, makes one inspired to own software, in light of the vb4/vb5 messes. You can have the bloated IPB, or the zen-like and modern XF.
Wonderful sentiments. I'd love to be "understanding" but in business that's not going to cut the mustard.

I bought one licence and the only person who may lose out is me.
Others invested very heavily and even built their own businesses and livelihoods around XenForo. Do you think it's ok for XenForo to say "sorry guys, personal problems and all that, so tough, your businesses will have to go to the walll too"?

In fact it'd be an improvement if they DID say that. They are actually saying NOTHING and letting everyone else's businesses gradually go to the wall.

So sorry, I fond it difficult to be "understanding" given this continued contemptuous silence.

Because the lawsuit isn't over. You can look forward to the trial on January 15, 2013.
The lawsuit was ongoing when XenForo came out of beta. Didn't stop them then.

Even if we accept the bizarre concept that the lawsuit suddenly, overnight, in January, affected them so badly they were stunned into silence, they could at least come in and say so. But they don't.

Sorry Jake, I don't for one moment believe it's just a "lawsuit problem" and neither do a huge number of other people.

Also, those people thinking Jan 15th is going to happen, they all win the suit, and suddenly 1.2 gets released and everything's a bed of roses again - those people are deluded, frankly.

Brogan is even now suggesting that the "security updates will be supported" statement is false. It gets worse, and worse, and worse.....and STILL complete silence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom