Xenforo vs. Free Options

shorepower

But is this a bug... or a feature?
It works as designed if I understand it correctly. In my view not the ideal set-up but works as designed. If you do not use RSS today, this will not cause any problems, if you do, it's an area that you need to be aware and plan for in any migration

shorepower

I have a feeling that what he is referring to is that there are not as many translations already done as with some other forum softwares.
Correct, thx for helping me clarify. As English not being my native language I was probably unclear. As stated, doing the translation is fairly straight forward with support in the system and an easy export system. Found that doing the translation directly in the XML is easier when doing bulk translation and in the system if doing single words.

DanielProGames

XenForo uses Cleaner code from what I understand. Don't ask me what that means because I honestly don't know.

I do however know that it has to do with the way it was designed to use less resources so that it indeed, will load faster and be generally more responsive to user interaction.

To understand XenForo permissions you have to without a doubt read and study @Brogan's Permission Guide. This is what finally helped me understand things.
Hello xIsabela38, I just want to explain what is "Clean code" and what it means on a forum.
Forums that has cleaner code are more efficient because its code is optimized, and therefore it uses less ram.
The code is easier to read and edit if you'd add something to it.
(The cleaner code is especially beneficious on Minecraft Networks, whereas better coded addons/plugins can help reduce can consumption).

DanielProGames

I am currently in the phase of switching from free phpbb to xenforo. Phpbb has been serving me good for the past few years but when i saw xenforo few weeks ago i was sold.

The main problems of phpbb are:
  1. No new features only bug fixing in recent releases,
  2. If you use different skin, you will probably have problems with mods. And you will probably want to use alternative skin. I modded default one,
  3. Mods needs to be installed manually and you can easily miss edits. It also takes a lot of time, especially at the beginning when you want to add all those interesting plugins,
  4. Many many mods are abandoned now and can also pose a security risk,
  5. Its a pain to upgrade to newest version if you use heavily modded forum. I managed to do it, but with a lot of manual files editing,
  6. Phpbb looks outdated and not inline with current web developement.
I think that XenForo doesn't add new features, they just fix bugs, because developers think that addons already add the content, also you also need to install addons/plugins manually lol, nothing of that had changed, but XenForo is more modern, thought.
I agree with that: abandoned addons could produce security issues.
Web development still uses PHP, it doesn't changed... current web development is the same as the past, because we're still using PHP, etc.
I just want to give my opinion out. I think PHP is very old, and it's not good for development because it produce low quality website, Nodebb is more modern, thought.

stevenavery

Hello xIsabela38, I just want to explain what is "Clean code" and what it means on a forum.
Forums that has cleaner code are more efficient because its code is optimized, and therefore it uses less ram.
The code is easier to read and edit if you'd add something to it.
(The cleaner code is especially beneficious on Minecraft Networks, whereas better coded addons/plugins can help reduce can consumption).
Agreeing, and elaborating
Cleaner code also means easier to hook into (e.g. plug-ins). As well as read and adapt and edit.

Spaghetti code is an example of not-clean code, it might get the job done, but in the longer term it poses a problem. The programmers who wrote it go away, or are unskilled, and the new programmers have to struggle. Often they decide on a rewrite.

My code experience has been on minicomputers, but I think this concept is global.

stevenavery

Now I know. Donationcoder warns me :) .

Anyway, I am considering a move away from vBulletin 4 and Xenforo is in the lead. I actually use my forum more as a blog. www.purebibleforum.com However, that might change if the forum is more warm and fuzzy.

I am considering some less expensive options, but right now it looks like Xenforo might be a good fit. I do want to find some threads on other issues.