Xenforo vs. Free Options

Fish

Hello all,

I'm a gaming community leader. We are looking at setting up a nice forum for our members. Xenforo is one I'm looking at, as a potential candidate for use. It looks nice and simple to use, but this leads me to my question: What is the advantage to paying the licensing fee on Xenforo instead of just using something free, like phpBB or SMF?

It seems like Addon/Mod support is there for both, and forum management systems aren't all that different. In other words, what am I getting for the nearly $150 I'd be spending on Xenforo? Is it worth it for a small community?

Last edited:
I have a feeling that what he is referring to is that there are not as many translations already done as with some other forum softwares.

Correct, thx for helping me clarify. As English not being my native language I was probably unclear. As stated, doing the translation is fairly straight forward with support in the system and an easy export system. Found that doing the translation directly in the XML is easier when doing bulk translation and in the system if doing single words.

Hello xIsabela38, I just want to explain what is "Clean code" and what it means on a forum.
Forums that has cleaner code are more efficient because its code is optimized, and therefore it uses less ram.
The code is easier to read and edit if you'd add something to it.
(The cleaner code is especially beneficious on Minecraft Networks, whereas better coded addons/plugins can help reduce can consumption).
Agreeing, and elaborating
Cleaner code also means easier to hook into (e.g. plug-ins). As well as read and adapt and edit.

Spaghetti code is an example of not-clean code, it might get the job done, but in the longer term it poses a problem. The programmers who wrote it go away, or are unskilled, and the new programmers have to struggle. Often they decide on a rewrite.

My code experience has been on minicomputers, but I think this concept is global.

Now I know. Donationcoder warns me :) .

Anyway, I am considering a move away from vBulletin 4 and Xenforo is in the lead. I actually use my forum more as a blog. www.purebibleforum.com However, that might change if the forum is more warm and fuzzy.

I am considering some less expensive options, but right now it looks like Xenforo might be a good fit. I do want to find some threads on other issues.

Top Bottom