1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xenforo vs BBPress

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by UndecidedMN, Mar 23, 2016.

1. UndecidedMN

UndecidedMN New Member

I am in the process of creating a Wordpress site (well my developer is) and it will have a large forum component that is essential for success. The web developer is really pushing BBPress due to ease of integration with the site and for lack of better term "same operating system". Can you please tell me why Xenforo is better?

The site I hope will be a large interactive forum with moderators other than myself being able to answer questions. Potential client base is 50,000 new users per year. I hope to have 5,000 to 10,000 new members per year that will most likely turnover 90%.

2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Your developer has a point in terms of integration, but with XF being one of the most popular forum packages and WP being one of the most popular CMS systems, it's not uncommon to find that people have been successful in integrating them.

There are some XF add-ons in this category that implement a bridge with WordPress which may help:

I have no experience with BBPress and hardly any experience worth mentioning with WordPress, so I can't tell you why XF is better. But I can tell you that there have been people have gone on to become XenForo customers who left a WP/BBPress set up to move to XF:

If you have a search there may be similar threads to the above, where essentially they have "grown out of" the BBPress forum.
    LPH, maszd, tyteen4a03 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Sadik B

Sadik B Well-Known Member

XenForo is a better forum software than bbPress.

bbPress integrates better with wordpress.

The decision you have to make, is whether you want a better experience for your forum users or for yourself (and your dev).
  4. ŽivaAkcija

ŽivaAkcija Well-Known Member

how to someone can compare xenforo and bbpress, its a madness
  5. LPH

LPH Well-Known Member

I can give you one simple reason why to choose XenForo over bbPress - and that is security. Using XenForo as a login, and the master user database, blocks potential issues with WordPress. In my view*, XenForo is far safer with member information over WordPress.

Consider this little screenshot from my site's WP dashboard.

Screen Shot 2016-03-27 at 7.37.35 AM.png

This is what you will face with WordPress. If you aren't planning to use WordPress.com VIP hosting then you are left to worry about security. It's a big issue to discuss with your developer and hosting company.

* I am not a security expert.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  6. PaulK

PaulK Member

I'm a member of a site that uses bbPress for its forum and I have to say that the software is so archaic (for lack of a better word) that it puts me off to posting there on a regular basis. The site's owner recently share with one of my communities that she was "technology ignorant" when she installed bbPress and if she had known better she would have definitely installed something else for her forum.