• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Xenforo To Twitter

I believe that this mod makes the process of "tweeting" topics within a certain forum automated whereas the mod in the thread you linked to gives you, or your users, the option of "tweeting" a topic. I could be wrong though.

Do please excuse me if I used "tweeting" in the wrong context - I'm getting old and the whole Twitter thing is quite new to me. Heh.

Still - great stuff! I'll definitely be checking this mod out.

Hey Brogan,

Yer, the mod you referenced isn't the same. The mod used for VB automatically tweets new thread titles straight to your site twitter account. You can assign forum id's, then any new thread created in those assigned forums are tweeted using Oauth. It has increased a significant amount of traffic to one forum I use it on for testing purposes, and now I simply won't remove it as its increased overall site exposure significantly.

Its a quick method for many to use in lieu of RSS, as many use FB or Twitter to follow things nowadays, not RSS. A lot of people also turn RSS off to stop third parties pulling entire site data and replicating sites.

Can't you just use the rss feed on something like hootsuite or something?
So when there's new content for that particular forum, it will tweet it out?

Hey Brogan,

Yer, the mod you referenced isn't the same. The mod used for VB automatically tweets new thread titles straight to your site twitter account.
Apologies, I misunderstood exactly what it was you were after.

I might be interested in both of them, so +1 for this request :D

Many sites don't enable RSS nowadays due to all the excessive spamming that RSS feeds get pulled and associated with nowadays.

This would be problematic for sites with a large number of posts being made. The twitter API restricts daily queries, and they will ban your IP if they think you are abusing the system (which this mod effectively is as its using twitter as a link farm).

Possibly, but if your site only has 20 new threads daily, but 500 posts... then its quite effective. Also effective for new sites needing all the help possible to launch.

You also have to take into account, you can control which forums new threads are posted to twitter.

I will be doing a XenForo version of my vBulletin hack called (very imaginatively) XenForo 2 Twitter hack as soon as I get my head around coding for XenForo. I am already in the process of converting my vBulletin version into a class, then it will be a lot easier to port to XenForo after that ;)

Great news!

I will be doing a XenForo version of my vBulletin hack called (very imaginatively) XenForo 2 Twitter hack as soon as I get my head around coding for XenForo. I am already in the process of converting my vBulletin version into a class, then it will be a lot easier to port to XenForo after that ;)
Mosh... you rock.

any news about this or is the project dead?

The project isn't dead however family issues have caused it to take a back peddle... I still hope to get a version out for the new year.

Keep in mind though I have no intention of making it gold until xenforo goes gold as too much is and can change.

Any updates for timing on your release Mosh?

Top Bottom