Xenforo - The Best CMS/Forum I ever used!

ATM it's not the best investment....

50/50
it's a nice alternative to vB4, but
  1. too many (basic) features are missing
  2. there's no roadmap so we can't plan for the future
  3. too many important add-ons missing
  4. too many hardcoded parts, which makes it impossible to use xenforo for a real MULTILANG page :(
my 0.02$ :)

I am hoping XenForo in it's stock version does not get too many features. I would like it to be ala carte so I can bloat it on my terms. I think if XenForo tries to please everyone it will end up not pleasing some as well.

I don't expect anyone to make a forum package to perfectly meet what I want. I want a package that can be molded into what I want.

It's got off to a great start, and knowing who is behind it, I think it has a shining future.

The Best? Not really a term you can apply to any software. Do you like it? Does it meet your needs? Is it easy to use? Do your members get along with it okay? All those can be answered, but "Best" is too ambiguous.

In terms of features/controls/etc. it doesn't come anywhere near vB4 or IPB3.x - but that's because it is new. In a few years time it will have matured and be offering a lot more (or not, depending on the direction the developers take) and there will hopefully be a good skinning/modding community that builds up around it too.

But so far- yes, I "like" it ... :D

I thinks its a great start but not the best for sure. From a developers point of view, creating add-on options / controllers are are a breeze compared to vBulletin! but certain parts...;
  • File based templates/phrases for development, webdav is there for templates but not a fan! I think thats what there doing internally but not sure...
  • DataWriter concept, hate it! pretty much like working with vBulletin, should have tried to create ActiveRecord like system.
  • Using Zend Framwork but want to get rid of it? yes? no? yes? no? parts of it? even worse!
:)

IMHO Xenforo is the best choice if you don't need a CMS/Gallery integrated with the board (or you have very basic needs for a splash page/basic gallery) and you can wait few months for have the various very important features now missing (custom profile fields, topic prefixes, users online on a topic etc.).

Totally agree with Maximilian, if you don't need all that bumph, then XF is definitely the best! :D

XenForo does offer the option of showing full size images in posts, which is a good thing I feel if you've got some photo's for displaying e.t.c. Never really understood why people think they need a fully blown Gallery, when you can just create a forum board used for posting images in it, sort of like a gallery forum for members to use for that very same purpose a Gallery would serve.

But without the extra overheads you'd get with a full blown Gallery.

I look at xenforo for what it is. What it has achieved up till now, and that is bring us a system that is innovative, features that are easy to get to and use with thought given that at the user end matters to the devs. Sure it lacks features, but i look at that in being xenforo is new, and judging by existing features, product stability, usability I'm more than willing to wait for features to be added because I know that when they arrive, they'll be oozing out with the quality we are blessed with here.

For me, and my needs xenforo is best. Best for me that is.

I would have to say that XF has been the most enjoyable investment of $140 I have ever made when it comes to a CMS/Forum. It works so smooth. What do you guys think? Is XF the best?

I'm getting a lot of positive feedback from clients who want to add forums as another part of their overall site strategy, yet don't want to go through the whole learning curve that other more complex forum products require, and more importantly who don't want to add software that takes a number of hours to Admin each week. xenForo is easy to use, intuitive, and above all fun.

Sure there's probably a number of things differing people might like to see included in the product or improved upon, but early days, Rome wasn't built in a day, whatever other saying you can think of. You can always ask in the appropriate forums, be careful what you ask for though as the PTBs tend to read feature requests.

Glad to see you are enjoying the experience of using xen :)

I look at xenforo for what it is. What it has achieved up till now, and that is bring us a system that is innovative, features that are easy to get to and use with thought given that at the user end matters to the devs. Sure it lacks features, but i look at that in being xenforo is new, and judging by existing features, product stability, usability I'm more than willing to wait for features to be added because I know that when they arrive, they'll be oozing out with the quality we are blessed with here.

For me, and my needs xenforo is best. Best for me that is.

I thought you'd jumped over the fence to IPB now after reading your latest tweets?

I thought you'd jumped over the fence to IPB now after reading your latest tweets?

When a developer does a good job I will give them acknowledgment. Just like I would if they did a terrible job on a feature they would know my opinions. I don't hide from the fact that if credit is due it'll be given and trying to twist that around numbnuts on me will fail. :thumbsup: lol you are seriously making yourself look stupid. :D

When a developer does a good job I will give them acknowledgment. Just like I would if they did a terrible job on a feature they would know my opinions. I don't hide from the fact that if credit is due it'll be given and trying to twist that around numbnuts on me will fail. (y) lol you are seriously making yourself look stupid. :D

Very good post.

Top Bottom