XenForo Shared Hosting

Would you be interested in XenForo shared hosting?

• Yes

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 24 66.7%
  • Maybe / Only If (Explain please)

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters

Shamil

Just a quick question.

Would anyone be interested in XenForo shared hosting?

I've seen someone suggest it. I'd rather people use VPS rather than shared hosting, but that's a personal reason.

No spec on Shared Hosting (give some options that we can gnaw over)...
Simultaneous connections =
Bandwidth per month
Details on plans...
Linux plan vs Windows plan

Why would anyone want to downgrade (save money, traffic slow...)...

I have added to my other post, but the link you added does not breakdown what you see in other hosting sites.... just the very basics...

Shared hosting would accommodate the lesser needs for those starting out with a small forum. A VPS isn't for everyone, as much as we'd like it to be.

Here's some more info.
http://www.radonsystems.net/services/xenforo/optimised-shared-hosting.25

It's not that slower.
Them prices seem steep. Why is the Xenforo vps so much more then a normal vps. For as much as your selling shared hosting. I could go get a vps at other places and still save money. Like linode etc.

Them prices seem steep. Why is the Xenforo vps so much more then a normal vps. For as much as your selling shared hosting. I could go get a vps at other places and still save money. Like linode etc.

I doubt Linode would install, support and manage the LiteSpeed Web Server on your VPS, or provide a license for it. I also doubt they'd do some critical MySQL and server-level optimisations that we'd do.

Actually I have had linode go out of their way of on a previous vps I had with them(for a mysql issue). How ever what if we do not need a managed vps?

I doubt Linode would install, support and manage the LiteSpeed Web Server on your VPS, or provide a license for it.

Why would you want to provide an XenForo license for people to use on your server? They are capable of buying and using their own on any VPS service, including yours. I'm asking because you did pretty much the same thing with your vBulletin hosting idea, providing the vB licences.

Something I never quite understood your reasoning behind doing it? And here you are now seemingly heading down "the same idea path" with XenForo. Why exactly do you want to provide the XenForo licenses for, can you tell me? Is it so you own the forums installed on your server by chance, you own the licenses they use in your name?

I don't have to spell-out what's this makes me think, but would like to hear your own reason for doing it?

Actually I have had linode go out of their way of on a previous vps I had with them(for a mysql issue). How ever what if we do not need a managed vps?

The management aspect is part of the package, albeit basic. LiteSpeed can be a bit of a funny piece of software, it's not as open as MySQL, such that there is a lot of resources for support.

Why would you want to provide an XenForo license for people to use on your server? They are capable of buying and using their own on any VPS service, including yours. I'm asking because you did pretty much the same thing with your vBulletin hosting idea, providing the vB licences.

Something I never quite understood your reasoning behind doing it? And here you are now seemingly heading down "the same idea path" with XenForo. Why exactly do you want to provide the XenForo licenses for, can you tell me? Is it so you own the forums installed on your server by chance, you own the licenses they use in your name?

I don't have to spell-out what's this makes me think, but would like to hear your own reason for doing it?

We don't provide XenForo licenses, only LiteSpeed licenses, which we get a discount on.

My mistake then, sorry! :giggle:

I thought when you mentioned providing the licence, you was talking about the forum license.

Less then... 500 simultaneous connections. What is lowest amount then, as that is what my internet provider says all the time (until several customers demanded to have limit at lowest for X amount of connection within service area.). Cause that can mean zero(0)... do mean to be asking so many question, but not enough information to make a decision on what this poll is about or on the services you want to provide.

Less then... 500 simultaneous connections. What is lowest amount then, as that is what my internet provider says all the time (until several customers demanded to have limit at lowest for X amount of connection within service area.). Cause that can mean zero(0)... do mean to be asking so many question, but not enough information to make a decision on what this poll is about or on the services you want to provide.

Page's stuck in cache :/ Let me manually refresh it.

It should read, a maximum of 500 simultaneous connection. From our own testing, a board can reach 140 simultaneous users online, and have around 80-100 simultaneous connections going around. It all does depend on the circumstance and what software is installed though.

I think a hosted XenForo service is something XF themselves should consider. For $29 a month or something, you could get started with a web hosting account that includes access to a server-locked XF license*. At any time, a user could buy a full XF license for a reduced price and get a copy of their XF database. They could also pay $50 for a 'move' service. The target audience would NOT be people familiar with PHP/MySQL, and generally would not be people who read this forum. It would be people who want to quickly get a forum up-and-running and would choose XF over something like SiteBuilder.

I realize that offering XenForo as a hosted solution would require bringing on more staff and it's unclear if the ROI would justify it.

*There are many ways to server-lock a script, such as having index.php in the user's public_html folder, but all the other files in an inaccessible directory, or at least having some crucial core files in a folder which the user does not have access to. It may require a shim to allow httpd to access these files, I don't know.

$29 a month for shared hosting, that's very steep today. I only pay just over double that (2 months worth) for the whole year. And it's even the Pro Shared hosting package, not the basic one with NameCheap.

http://www.namecheap.com/web-hosting/shared-hosting.aspx

My forum is running on that package now and has been for two years. For me that converts to about £30 year UK money. A bargain and I'm happy enough with the service too.

29 usd per month can be cheap depending on what their policy is based on. many shared hosting has ridiculous fair usage policy like limited hits allowed, below 1%cpu usaged allowed, amount of mysql acitivity allowed etc etc. if 29 usd allow to use more server resources and less restrictive then i would think its worth the spending

Top Bottom