XenForo root URL Redirect?

RuuDarling

Hello!

For starters, I am very new to this so it's a large possibility I may just be doing it wrong.

I have self-hosting xenforo I just purchased a few days ago and I've followed the instructions of this guide here while using FileZilla until I get to #3 but for some reason when I proceed to my XenForo Root URL, it takes me to a completely different site named NameSilo (I use KnownHost and my domain is also bought on KnownHost) instead of the installation page (at least to my understanding that's what it says). The XenForo files were uploaded into /public_html with a /forum folder but that didn't work so I just placed it all straight into /public_html, yet every time I do osriaroleplay.com/public_html/install, it still takes me to NameSilo (I am very convinced I'm messing up the URL in some way so please tell me if I am).

I'm not sure if I'm doing this wrong or if I need to configure my domain in my Host but both domains and host and uploads have worked successfully and I'm still not sure what I'm doing wrong.

If someone can help, I'd greatly appreciate any pointers.

Cheers!

There don't appear to be any A records in DNS for - osriaroleplay.com - have you spelled the domain name correctly? Also, did you point DNS at your server?

That domain is also registered at Namesilo so either it's the wrong domain; you've bought a different domain; or your domain folks are a reseller for NameSilo.

Last edited:
There don't appear to be any A records in DNS for - osriaroleplay.com - have you spelled the domain name correctly? Also, did you point DNS at your server?

That domain is also registered at Namesilo so either it's the wrong domain; you've bought a different domain; or your domain folks are a reseller for NameSilo.
Hey, thanks for the response!
I have spelled it correctly, yes but I don't believe I have pointed the DNS at my server. How would I do this?
I believe my domain folks are resellers for NameSilo so this makes sense.

Update: So apparently I do have it? I'm not sure if it's pointing properly however (I am in my cPanel - Domains - Zone Editor)
1676819122840.webp

Hey, thanks for the response!
I have spelled it correctly, yes but I don't believe I have pointed the DNS at my server. How would I do this?
I believe my domain folks are resellers for NameSilo so this makes sense.
Contact your host and explain you’re not sure how to update DNS and ask them if they will update it for you, or give you instructions on how to do it.

Once DNS is in place you should be able to go ahead with your XF installation. 👍

Contact your host and explain you’re not sure how to update DNS and ask them if they will update it for you, or give you instructions on how to do it.

Once DNS is in place you should be able to go ahead with your XF installation. 👍
So the DNS was changed kindly by the Host, but it still didn't change the problem and still pops up on the NameSilo site. I'm starting to think perhaps it may have something to do with being registered at Namesilo but unsure how to move past this problem. Any suggestions?

It's working for me so you may need to wait for the DNS to fully propagate.

1676827325841.webp

I would also recommend asking your host to install a free SSL certificate.

Certain functionality such as push notifications requires it.

It's working for me so you may need to wait for the DNS to fully propagate.

View attachment 281771

I would also recommend asking your host to install a free SSL certificate.

Certain functionality such as push notifications requires it.
Alright, cheers I'll have a crack at it
Just for clarification, you just typed in the osriaroleplay.com URL into the browser, yes? I don't need to add anything else to the browser?

Starting from scratch is not easy, but with determination you can get there: take your time to build your forum, choosing your nodes carefully and organizing them logically, not creating too many, thinking carefully about creating prefixes, checking a at one the options to fully understand their interests, take the time for each of them to set the permissions.

Same thing for the user groups, the basic ones can be enough to start not necessarily need to create too many from the beginning, define the permissions with care also.

XenForo has a lot of settings in the administrator panel so you have to go methodically. Good luck.

I have to re-emphasize what @Nicolas FR said about Prefixes. They can help reduce a LOT of clutter for unnecessary nodes.
As an example, I have a node for Telescopes. There are a LOT of manufacturers for them as well as types, and having a node for each one would be overly burdensome, especially when one can use prefixes. Frequently you would find (at the least) nodes for each style on some sites. This allows you to consolidate them into one area, so your nodes don't look as "blank" with less traffic.

Screen Shot 2023-02-20 at 3.49.40 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-02-20 at 3.52.21 PM.png

And the benefit of using prefixes, one can filter based upon them and narrow out a lot of the chaff about other manufacturers if one chooses to do so. For me, the prefixes are one of the best things in XF.

Top Bottom