XenForo Roadmap?

HWS

Can you please provide a public roadmap with features planned to be added into XenForo software soon and their possible release dates?

I understand that you'll release 1.1.4 soon with all bug fixes out of the bug report section and additional anti spam features.

But what is planned for the next feature version and when can we expect it?

The reason for me asking is that we've coded a lot of extensions to circumvent the lack of admin features in the current version and we won't prepare them as add-ons in case you'll add those features to the software soon. I hope you already work or talk with Shawn (digitalpoint) to get an impression of what is missing. A roadmap would sure be interesting for other developers also.

Thank you.

Why should this thread get "out of hand"?

So there won't be any information provided about what features will be added to XF and when?
Except some highlights in the "Have you seen?" section?

Hopefully someone gives that a second thought, because a more informed developer community will provide better results. Or are we expected to ask the developers individually with private conversations to get that info, like some do?

Why should this thread get "out of hand"?
Because it has been discussed many times before and there are effectively two camps - those in favour and those not.
Things tend to get rather heated.

I will be keeping an eye on it though so please everyone try to remain calm and civil.

I am with HWS here. A roadmap with expected features for 1.2 would be really nice. It will allow the customers to see what is coming, and also allow addon devs to know what addons they can work on. There is a lot of features 1.1 lacked that addons made up for, but it would be nice to see them in core.

Even something very vague like "we currently have no plans for a CMS/Gallery/whatever" would be extremely helpful as a lot of the devs don't want to compete against official addons so are waiting before committing themselves to starting large projects.

Only the developers can decide. And I understand that they are extra careful about it, given the history of things.
But a roadmap would be beneficial for the software and more professional too.

There are far too many who will take the road map and continuously harp on the timing of when it will be released. As much as I would like to see what's coming up, past history has shown that it's too large of a distraction.

I think currently the only thing I need to know that's on the road map is that KMA get back to doing what they do best after those dark times... and it's apparent that it's happening.

My own personal opinion*

There are far too many who will take the road map and continuously harp on the timing of when it will be released. As much as I would like to see what's coming up, past history has shown that it's too large of a distraction.

I don't think so, the former roadmap was met always almost in time.

Except...
(But I am sure it will be differently handled if that really happens again)

So, I see no real problem in providing a roadmap.

Except when the development suddenly stopped. But I hope this won't happen again, and if, the customers would be informed about it correctly next time.

Continually commenting with this will get the thread closed...

Just a heads up. It has nothing to do with the roadmap you are asking about.

There has never been a roadmap.

If I remember correctly version 1.1 was promised for a certain quarter and that was met. Also some features for 1.2 were released, but I think this info is historical now. This is why I asked for an update.

Even something very vague like "we currently have no plans for a CMS/Gallery/whatever" would be extremely helpful as a lot of the devs don't want to compete against official addons so are waiting before committing themselves to starting large projects.

Although a roadmap may not be forthcoming, I agree that it would be helpful to know if a Gallery/CMS is going to be on the cards at some point. If it's not going to happen, I can go with something 3rd party and start planning the conversion of 2 sites (both using IPB Gallery atm). I'm sure there are others sitting on the fence that would like to know if this is a planned feature at some point, without giving a full roadmap (as nice as it would be to see ;)).

For some reason a road map for xenForo isn't such a concern to me. One knows that there is development, that the development is forth coming and of quality and we have a quality base. In short, I feel confident that there is forward movement. The Have You Seen postings give a good idea of what is imminent.

Although a roadmap may not be forthcoming, I agree that it would be helpful to know if a Gallery/CMS is going to be on the cards at some point.
While I'm never going to rule it out completely, it's not something we're considering now. There are still various things to focus on with the core system, as I'm sure various people can attest to. (For reference, the RM mostly came about as it was something that we would've been doing anyway, for xf.com.)

While I'm never going to rule it out completely, it's not something we're considering now. There are still various things to focus on with the core system, as I'm sure various people can attest to. (For reference, the RM mostly came about as it was something that we would've been doing anyway, for xf.com.)

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the heads up :)

I'm a new XF user. I bought a license when the program first came out. I wasn't ready to use it and then the lawsuit happened. Now that that mess is over I'm creating a new forum with XF and after 6 years of working with VB and 9 other websites it's a learning curve to set up a site with new software. I keep telling myself the extra effort will be worth it in the long run. But knowing a bit more about where things are going sure would help push that process along.

I know developers don't want to talk about specifics. But any info -- such as the announcement yesterday of the next release -- is a major help.

PS. I'm going to require a Gallery. I don't care as much about the CMS. And, I'd be happy using an addon to get both functionalities. But both will be needed fairly soon for my needs.

Top Bottom