Xenforo resource usage comparision with wordpress

daimpa

Hello, I'm buying a New server and I need to predict how much it'll cost me. A forum with 1'000'000 messages, will consume more/the same/less RAM/CPU than a blog with wordpress (only 3 plugins and top quality theme)?
Know that it might be hard to reply, but do you have any indication?

System requirements depend more on active users/users online at once rather than the number of messages.

Where is the forum hosted at the moment? Are you looking to cut costs or upgrade? Have you checked to see how your current hosting is performing?

System requirements depend more on active users/users online at once rather than the number of messages.

Where is the forum hosted at the moment? Are you looking to cut costs or upgrade? Have you checked to see how your current hosting is performing?
70 users at the same time according to google analytics. Can it be ok to have them on 3gb ram 3cpu vps?
I've a problem with accessing current server stats atm. That's one of the reason I'm changing...

Comparing WP/XF like you presented is pretty much impossible as there are so many variables, but a forum with 1M posts and 50-100 active users at a time should run decent on a well-optimized server with the specs you mentioned (3 cores, 3GB RAM). Might be a little tight so optimization of the server side components/services will be important.

Comparing WP/XF like you presented is pretty much impossible as there are so many variables, but a forum with 1M posts and 50-100 active users at a time should run decent on a well-optimized server with the specs you mentioned (3 cores, 3GB RAM). Might be a little tight so optimization of the server side components/services will be important.
Ok thanks! Do you think we need to look at more RAM, more CPU, or both for those numbers?
We've a seasonal peak of 600 active users (google analytics), 8GB RAM 6CPU could be enough?

Last edited:
Ok thanks! Do you think we need to look at more RAM, more CPU, or both for those numbers?
We've a seasonal peak of 600 active users (google analytics), 8GB RAM 6CPU could be enough?
I'm no expert on the subject matter, but if you're looking to save money and have good performance during normal workloads (70 users 300 days out of the year let's say) and at peak (600 users for the other 65 "seasonal" days), it'd only make sense to deploy 2-3vCPU/4-8gb RAM and then auto scale more instances to handle the extra load, only when needed.

Why pay for what you're not going to use for 300 days?

I'm no expert on the subject matter, but if you're looking to save money and have good performance during normal workloads (70 users 300 days out of the year let's say) and at peak (600 users for the other 65 "seasonal" days), it'd only make sense to deploy 2-3vCPU/4-8gb RAM and then auto scale more instances to handle the extra load, only when needed.

Why pay for what you're not going to use for 300 days?
Yes that's what I'm looking for, a scalable VPS :)
I'm trying to extimate the min and max CPU/RAM necessary.

Reactions: frm
Top Bottom