Xenforo Questions before buy

Hello,

I am trying to create a community website for my college. I am looking into buying Invision Power Board or Xenforo. I tried the demo and I have experience with IPS already. I need to know a few questions.

* Is there any way I can change or add registration questions to have required to fill out?
* Can Xenforo hold large amounts of members? It will be for a big university so needs to be somewhat fast.
* How can I view the add ons or something I can purchase for the board? I like IPS options as add ons but I want to know if there is a good amount of mods for it.
* Is the template easily customize able? And How much would it cost (generally) to create a skin?
* What makes XF different than IPS?
* Is there any CMS or Gallery feature either in the package or add ons?

I would greatly appreciate it if I can get this answered.

Thanks,
Michael

Last edited:
1. Custom Profile Fields.
2. Yes.
3. Add-ons are listed under "Resources" above, but its up to individual authors to provide demos.
4. Yes, quite customizable. Cost depends on who you hire.
5. Speed, features, light weight
6. Xen Media Gallery and Xen Gallery. They are both add-ons, there is no official CMS or Gallery.
7. Prices range from ($free-$200 (rare)), but its up to the author to decide on price.

Last edited:
Hello,
I am trying to create a community website for my college. I am looking into buying Invision Power Board or Xenforo.
Both could work.

* Is the template easily customize able? And How much would it cost (generally) to create a skin?
>>>>>>>>Skin makers (aka Style designers) usually report Xenforo is much easier to work with than IPB.
There are lots of free skins. Some are $20, $30, $40. A Custom one could be $50 to $5,000.

* What makes XF different than IPB?
>>>>>>>> Xenforo has a larger market share (IMO) than IPS (aka IPB) . (That doesn't bode well for IPB) [Source]
Some people like IPB more. The trend is clear ... IPB->XF migrations are at least twice as common as XF->IPB. I'll almost guarantee that trend slants more in Xenforo's favour over the next year.
Xenforo's code is more efficient and modern and is therefore faster - (thus cheaper to host).
This search probably has some info for you.

* Is there any CMS
XenPorta is good.
You can use Wordpress and Xenforo together. (http://xenscripts.com)
There are other Portals (mini-CMS).

Good luck.

Top Bottom