XenForo needs a Lawrence Cole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred Sherman

I don't mean the actual person, because I think he's a tool, but rather someone in that role. They need someone who is the customer interface guy, the marketer, the go-to guy for questions, answers, and issues. Someone who is there specifically to connect with customers on a daily basis.

Things like this shouldn't exist unchallenged: http://www.adminaddict.net/topic/6066-is-xenforo-dying/

And when someone brings up valid questions which affect what they invest in for their site forum, threads should be locked. There shouldn't be a perception, let alone reputation that asking legitimate questions from a customer perspective will result in a locked thread.

For goodness sake, don't turn this into supporting or rebutting the opinions in the link. Thats not the purpose. The purpose is to advocate a more open exchange with the company through a person dedicated to that task.

I can say that I know Mike is around, he has picked up two of my tickets and responded to me telling me to get back with him if I had any other issues. The issues turned out to not be XenForo's fault.

Mike answered fairly quickly. I can't imagine how busy the guys must be with XenForo and dealing with IB. A small team that has done big things.

From the linked thread this is this latest post until now, and I agree here:
I also think a lot of the issues stem from them listening too much to the community. CMS, blogging and all of these other sidetracks took away from the core competencies of vBulletin. Personally I think they should have let third-party developers continue to provide those solutions and focused on refining and adding features to the forum product. I know many people think forums are dead in favor of social networks, but social networks rarely have meaningful or worthwhile discussions. You went to Target? Awesome. You're grilling out? Great. 32 likes? Sweet. I can count on my hand the number of times I've had a decent discussion on Facebook, Twitter, et al.

There are a number of issues at present:

1. The disappearance of Kier. It's not that he isn't around that I have a problem with. It is the way that no-one at Xenforo will post to say WHY he isn't around. If he's off sick, if he's not posting for legal reasons, if he is taking a holiday are all examples of reasons why he might not be posting that we'd all be happy with. But to give wishy-washy answers just makes the whole thing look really, well, creepy. The last time this was discussed, Mike decided to wade in and deflect the whole debate on to him, whilst noticably failing to give a STRAIGHT answer. Where is Kier? Why is he not posting in his own forum? Why won't anyone say where he is? Why is Xenforo willing to let posts like this undermine and damage the product?

2. Locking of posts. Brogan, the main moderator, is an asset to Xenforo and I acknowledge he's probably between a rock and a hard place. But locking any discussions about this subject is seriously damaging my goodwill as a paying customer. It looks like either a cover up, or the staff won't even tell him what's actually going on.

I'll cut to the chase. In the absence of rational explanations and honest, frank communication from Xenforo I'm beginning to wish I'd gone to IPB instead. No matter how amazing the software is, if you lose goodwill and lose faith in the company it is never a good product to choose. If I'd been looking at switching my forum today instead of last year, I would have picked IPB. And now, well I am actively looking at IPB as a contingency plan because I am losing all hope with Xenforo.

+1

I'm not renewing my license and I'm not buying any paid addons because of these issues and I know I'm not the only one.

i dont know what all the worry is about. this is nothing more than a return of the classic Kier. the good news is that that implies he will be surprising us with 1.2 and its unpromoted features.

I am of the opinion that it is better to spend time actually implementing feedback, to respond with software updates instead of responding with promises and assurances.

Things like this shouldn't exist unchallenged: http://www.adminaddict.net/topic/6066-is-xenforo-dying/

It is a waste of time trying to engage topics like this. What can you say to put an end to this kind of speculation? You can refute it, argue it, try to change people's opinions with promises and assurances. But this is always ineffective in my experience, not to mention extremely time-consuming. On the other hand, if you release a major software update then the entire basis for speculation collapses.

I am of the opinion that it is better to spend time actually implementing feedback, to respond with software updates instead of responding with promises and assurances.

It is a waste of time trying to engage topics like this. What can you say to put an end to this kind of speculation? You can refute it, argue it, try to change people's opinions with promises and assurances. But this is always ineffective in my experience, not to mention extremely time-consuming. On the other hand, if you release a major software update then the entire basis for speculation collapses.

It never hurts from a public relations standpoint to monitor for such posts. I do that for a few companies and associations that has asked me to do so.

It never hurts from a public relations standpoint to monitor for such posts. I do that for a few companies and associations that has asked me to do so.

There is definitely a point to be made there. But I still say software updates speak louder than words.

I am reminded of Office Space. :D

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

PR people deal with the customers so the devs don't have to? :p

These threads are getting pathetic.

To quote myself http://xenforo.com/community/threads/are-we-dead.29834/#post-342404

XenForo is still VERY MUCH in active development. Just because we don't have updates being rammed down our throat weekly doesn't mean the product is dead. Far from it.

If you feel unhappy due to a lack of updates, feel free to go back to another board solution. I for one am more than happy with the exceptional quality of XenForo and know any update is WORTH waiting for patiently rather than the bug ridden crap other vendors have pushed due to this we want weekly update mentality.

In the space of what, 18 months? They have pushed out the 1.0 stable, 1.1 stable, a big board search solution, a whole flurry of updates inbetween, 2 versions of the resource manager and all while fending off not one, but two lawsuits. On top of that within the next few weeks we could potentially be looking at a 1.2 beta release. Oh, and its whilst theres only two of them opposed to other forum softwares with huge teams working on the product.

Mike is most certainly around answering questions and dealing with support.

By XenForo not having updates for you.. how does it effect your board? I mean, your still running the most stable, expandable, interfaceable, engaging forum system out there.

Are you just going to give it up because you don't get your weekly update?

I don't think so... and if you are one who would give it up over such petty things... then I would suggest you go enjoy the other offerings out there because you can bug them with your need for a weekly update fix rather than letting Kier and Mike get on with their work and continue to provide you with the high quality platform they have been doing.

What I recommend XenForo Ltd. to do is to update us on the roadmap. Not only because it's been two months since XenForo 1.2 was released and we haven't heard or seen any indication about what's currently in the works (yes, you spoiled us!), but also because it would prove all naysayers wrong who cry conspiracy due to Kier's absence.

It's not about proving "anyone wrong", it simply about explaining what's going on. It only takes a quick news announcement to do, is that so hard? I could say more, but what's the point? This thread will get locked soon, so no point doing so here.

I left IB /VB after the release of VB4, I planned to convert my forums to XF. but I when I saw that most threads here are closed. I changed my idea, that scare me.

The world can use less public relations. I know I would not miss the White House spokesman; still do not know why his pay is justified.

You're ignoring the teensy-weensy small detail that the small startup XenForo Ltd. has been being sued by a multi-million dollar company for almost 1-1/2 years now. How can one blame anyone who feels worried about the current circumstances? The OP is right that XenForo would be well advised to reconsider what they communicate.

Don't forget that every active customer here has put a lot of faith and trust into XenForo, knowing perfectly well that things could go downhill rather fast should IB win their ludicrous claims.

Look at it the other way.

You put your faith into Xenforo despite the fact that it was being sued by IB. Why? Because it is a superior product.

If you were that concerned then maybe you shouldn't of hopped on board so fast?

Whats changed? The product is still as great as it was 2 months ago.

No, I did it because I trust the main guys who're behind XF. I bought my license the moment XF became available, despite the fact that it did not have the tools nor features I would have required to make a transition to XF.

Who said I did? My community still runs vBulletin 3.8. Maybe it's OK for you to hop on board fast, but for others switching the software is not a small undertaking and it involves certain risks. One risk particular to XF is the lawsuit, which would be foolish by any serious forum administrator to ignore.

You're missing the point. This is not about anyone questioning the quality of XF nor the ability of Kier or Mike or anyone else who is involved. It's about trust and doing anything to foster it in these difficult times.

1) So trust them. Stop badgering them. Updates will come, just give them the space to work. Not many people would be able to do what these guys are doing simply from a quality point fo view, let alone while being sued by a multi million dollar company. Many would have thrown in the towl by now, they have stuck it out, so give them some credit, give them some space. I imagine things are stressful enough as it is without having people constantly bugging them for updates.

2) My board supports the livlihoods of multiple people, a matter of being able to put food on the table or not, so if anything I am more qualified than most to discuss the risk of switching.

3) See point 1

No one has addressed the issue. Do they need a full-time marketing guy to manage the customer relationship to avoid this impressions?

No one has addressed the issue. Do they need a full-time marketing guy to manage the customer relationship to avoid this impressions?

Full time? No. Maybe just someone who once a fortnight gives a little post as to whats cooking, even if its to say nothing of note has happened would be nice. But im not going to lose any sleep if it doesn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom