XenForo needs a blog with regular updates from Kier & Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

When they're already tapped for time, how will they have time for updating a blog consistently, in a way people would be satisfied with?

Lawsuits take a large part of their time, which is why it was brought up as a valid reason.

Small start-up business, in two lawsuits = unlikely to be able to hire till things simmer down.

The company is only a year old, and v1 has only been out for a month. This is just people being impatient and trying to push their priorities, without thought of why the steps haven't been taken.

That's a shame, hopefully the lawsuits will be dropped/won soon so that they can focus all their attention on XenForo and not having to bother with those nagging lawsuits. How long time do you think that will go on? The lawsuits I mean.

what´s the difference?

as long as you can read, it does not matter :cautious:

The difference is that the announcement forum doesn't really fit the bills for updates like "Just finished the mockup coding of feature X and it integrates very well! Now gonna get a coffee to relax.", do you think so? :p That's the kind of updates I'm talking about.

I'm completely missing your point.. what do you mean? I both read your post aswell as replied to it :) Or what do you mean? :p

Amazing what I've just done there?
You mean this :D

That's a shame, hopefully the lawsuits will be dropped/won soon so that they can focus all their attention on XenForo and not having to bother with those nagging lawsuits. How long time do you think that will go on? The lawsuits I mean.

The difference is that the announcement forum doesn't really fit the bills for updates like "Just finished the mockup coding of feature X and it integrates very well! Now gonna get a coffee to relax.", do you think so? :p That's the kind of updates I'm talking about.

I'm completely missing your point.. what do you mean? I both read your post aswell as replied to it :) Or what do you mean? :p

You mean this :D

I couldn't be bothered to do the advanced version, but yeah, that's prity darn amazing if you ask me. :LOL: Amazing stuff there. (y)

Its their choice to only have the two of them doing everything, if its now proving too much, then maybe they should start involving others.
It was their choice in the beginning, yes, very true. But now they have no choice.

Why are you even comparing ipb to xenforo I don't know.
Because they're both in the same marketplace, appealing to essentially the same section of potential customers. Is it really that confusing for you? I love Xenforo but come on, this isn't rocket science.

Now, I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with the OP or the point about a regular blog because I've taken to just reading through Kier's recent posts to find out what I want to know. But this really doesn't call for an "OMG someone just brought up IPB, why would you do that? Xenforo is nothing like IPB, waaaaaah" response. It's a fair suggestion that Kier and Mike can either say yes or no to, and nothing more nor less.

Because they're both in the same marketplace, appealing to essentially the same section of potential customers. Is it really that confusing for you? I love Xenforo but come on, this isn't rocket science.

Now, I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with the OP or the point about a regular blog because I've taken to just reading through Kier's recent posts to find out what I want to know. But this really doesn't call for an "OMG someone just brought up IPB, why would you do that? Xenforo is nothing like IPB, waaaaaah" response. It's a fair suggestion that Kier and Mike can either say yes or no to, and nothing more nor less.

Did you even bother to read the rest? or do the infamous several word quote to feel....what exactly? Common sense if they can't be bothered to use it the answer to why when they compare another company stares them in the face. They simply want spoon fed.

Do yourself a favour next time try quoting their stupidity and show them that using a little common sense goes along way.

Im currently navigating my way through Kier's 3908 posts - that would be before starting on Mikes 3555 posts. Can you not see why that is not really the greatest way to find out whats going on?

I tried reading through some of the posts in this thread and I can't help but think that this would not be the most intuitive thing for the team to do with their time right now not that I have a say in that anyways.

It would be much simpler and more inline for another category called "In the Works" to be created in "Official Forums" if this is really that necessary though I must say from my perspective I don't need to know what they are doing on a minute to minute basis as that just slows them from doing what they will be doing and delivering to us in the end anyways. For that matter even a sticky'd thread would probably get more attention than a blog with regards to the people that have a need to read updates from the team (this would probably be related to potential purchasers more than anything in my own opinion but I don't really know anything).

All I am saying is...if they are going to make a Blog product they would more than likely make use of it when they put it out there for distribution. Until then it would be another thing to code...or another site to login to and manage/maintain and update when I would have to assume that 2 people authoring a pretty complex compilation of code , managing families and all the other things that come with them already have big shoulders but even Atlas has to sleep. In the end I would say in my opinion, XF setting up a blog right now would be a bad choice as far as cost (of time) to benefit (for the company or the customer) ratio.

...oh never mind, I'll just stop before my head gets chopped off by the XF defense force.

Speaking of, all of that above was my true opinion without prejudice as to who we are talking about. I did laugh pretty hard at your last few words :) but it is true that people will defend what they love and that is a basic principle in life. Hard to change what your hardwired to do.

Licence holders, please do not forget us non-licence holders who simply "Want to buy a forum"!

We do not necessarily want to get involved in wading through countless posts looking for information. The announcements forum has not been updated since mid-March and I have no idea what's being done with the product at the moment. Importantly I have no idea whether certain key features for my community which are missing from XenForo at the moment are even in the pipleline for future releases.

All this talk about not comparing products is ludicrous. I want to buy a forum to replace my EOL vB3 so I am comparing products. I'm looking at vB4, IPB, XenForo and phpBB. It's a competitive marketplace. I do not want to have to wade deep into posts in each forum! And I'm certainly not going to buy XenForo just because a load of people here seem to think it's the new messiah or some kind of amazing product that's going to change the world. It's just a forum!

The IPB blog should be a case study of how to do things right. Regular updates and easy to find.

This community is in danger of becoming a clique because it no longer seems to remember what it's like not to be a XenForo customer but rather someone who is comparing forum products but has yet to buy. It seems that any reasonable suggestion - constructive too - is jumped on by people here who are far too defensive. I am sorry but as an outsider, this is starting to work against the very product you are supposed to be passionate about. Some of you really do need to step away from XenForo for a moment. I find it off-putting to see genuine suggestions being stepped on and bullied off this forum.

As for the product "speaking for itself" that really is such an arrogant attitude. It speaks different things to different people. To me it says "A fantastic looking and slick forum with lots of promise but lacking in some features that are critical to my community". There will come a point when I am ready to buy and have to make that final decision. Personally, I hope it is XenForo - but it would be great if some kind of regular product development update put my mind at rest as to new features being coded into it. At the moment I just see a version 1 product with no further updates and no further news since last month.

The suggestion that Kier and Mike are too busy fighting a lawsuit to post updates is equally warped. You only have to look at Kier's posts to see he has time to chit chat with people here or while away the time talking about subjects as diverse as bare feet. I find it marvellous that someone actually at the top of a product is accessible to us common folk like this and I have the greatest respect for him. But if he has time to chat in here he has time to post a few updates here and there. So that argument does not stand scrutiny and Kier if you are reading this, it is in no way directed at you.

I do understand Kier and co. are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't. But I do not think the suggestion of posting updates or a blog is unreasonable. You'd think from some of the responses here from the entrenched old guard that people were suggestion XenForo is made free of charge!

Please take these comments in the constructive spirit they are intended.

Licence holders, please do not forget us non-licence holders who simply "Want to buy a forum"!

We do not necessarily want to get involved in wading through countless posts looking for information. The announcements forum has not been updated since mid-March and I have no idea what's being done with the product at the moment. Importantly I have no idea whether certain key features for my community which are missing from XenForo at the moment are even in the pipleline for future releases.

All this talk about not comparing products is ludicrous. I want to buy a forum to replace my EOL vB3 so I am comparing products. I'm looking at vB4, IPB, XenForo and phpBB. It's a competitive marketplace. I do not want to have to wade deep into posts in each forum! And I'm certainly not going to buy XenForo just because a load of people here seem to think it's the new messiah or some kind of amazing product that's going to change the world. It's just a forum!

The IPB blog should be a case study of how to do things right. Regular updates and easy to find.

This community is in danger of becoming a clique because it no longer seems to remember what it's like not to be a XenForo customer but rather someone who is comparing forum products but has yet to buy. It seems that any reasonable suggestion - constructive too - is jumped on by people here who are far too defensive. I am sorry but as an outsider, this is starting to work against the very product you are supposed to be passionate about. Some of you really do need to step away from XenForo for a moment. I find it off-putting to see genuine suggestions being stepped on and bullied off this forum.

As for the product "speaking for itself" that really is such an arrogant attitude. It speaks different things to different people. To me it says "A fantastic looking and slick forum with lots of promise but lacking in some features that are critical to my community". There will come a point when I am ready to buy and have to make that final decision. Personally, I hope it is XenForo - but it would be great if some kind of regular product development update put my mind at rest as to new features being coded into it. At the moment I just see a version 1 product with no further updates and no further news since last month.

The suggestion that Kier and Mike are too busy fighting a lawsuit to post updates is equally warped. You only have to look at Kier's posts to see he has time to chit chat with people here or while away the time talking about subjects as diverse as bare feet. I find it marvellous that someone actually at the top of a product is accessible to us common folk like this and I have the greatest respect for him. But if he has time to chat in here he has time to post a few updates here and there. So that argument does not stand scrutiny and Kier if you are reading this, it is in no way directed at you.

I do understand Kier and co. are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't. But I do not think the suggestion of posting updates or a blog is unreasonable. You'd think from some of the responses here from the entrenched old guard that people were suggestion XenForo is made free of charge!

I agree with every word that this guy has said. This is by far the best post in this thread.

Hey, maybe more of us would know this if only...

Maybe he wouldn't have missed it if only...

...oh never mind, I'll just stop before my head gets chopped off by the XF defense force.
Nick what's got your undies in a bundle this time? As usual you're late to the party. If you'd read down a little further, you'd see that I already admitted to quoting the wrong post. *gasp* I made a mistake. :oops:

However, you'd have already known that Kier said they were working on XF 1.1 if you were reading his posts. :)

Y'know, about the only time we hear from you lately is when you have a sarcastic reply to a post, usually mine. What's your problem?

You know what? I almost agree with everything you've said. Almost... ;)

I highlighted the stuff I agree with.

Good post, put it intelligently and in a way it doesn't come across as smarmy.

Publishing a roadmap is a great way of keeping your competitors informed of the direction your product is going. It also locks you into rigidity thus stifling creativity. I recall a competitor issuing a roadmap from which I made my plans. Barely a single item on that map was delivered. You can probably guess the rest.

but it is true that people will defend what they love and that is a basic principle in life. Hard to change what your hardwired to do.
I was trying to get at the fact that nobody can have a dissenting opinion here without criticism from the "regulars". Nobody is going to agree on everything, obviously. But when people jump at those who don't agree with the majority and are accused of having their "undies in a bundle," (one of the more innocent remarks, that is) it's clearly not a healthy, productive, advancing environment.

Nick what's got your undies in a bundle this time? As usual you're late to the party. If you'd read down a little further, you'd see that I already admitted to quoting the wrong post. *gasp* I made a mistake. :oops:
Too bad you didn't pick up on the fact that my post has absolutely nothing to do with what you linked to, correct or not. I don't see how you even got that idea from my post...? :unsure: See below.

However, you'd have already known that Kier said they were working on XF 1.1 if you were reading his posts. :)

This is my point. Maybe you and some of the others here do, but I, quite frankly, don't have the time (not to mention the desire) to go through Kier's and Mike's daily postings, filtering through what is "desirable info" and what is customer support in the process.

Y'know, about the only time we hear from you lately is when you have a sarcastic reply to a post, usually mine. What's your problem?
Doesn't this thread speak for itself? Why get involved when I risk the high chance of being shot down by anybody who doesn't agree (usually the same people every time)?

Even though I don't see my history of sarcastic comments that you claim to, I'd like to add that I'm not trying to target you in any way. It's nothing more than coincidence, if anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom