XenForo needs a blog with regular updates from Kier & Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'll be simple really, those who understand and can wait will do, those who don't and can't won't. Anyone who runs a VB forum can see the breath of fresh air that is XF, especially if you have a coding background - its with this in mind that I'm quite happy to wait.

As long as its not too long.... when's the infraction style system going to be ready again? ;o)

spanking.gif

I've been pretty critical about the lack of communication from the vbulletin team and I've also shared a lot of praise about the details the IB team has been sharing in their blogs -- so much so they set the bar in this area as far as I'm concerned.

I understand Kier's points entirely. It's challenging but is that enough of a reason to stay dark? I don't think so but perhaps we can meet half way... the "have you seen" series was great example of the communication we would like to see. If they can't share that level of detail on items that are in the works, perhaps they can share more about tweaks that are being made to what we have today.

I think a blog is a great idea for all the reasons that have been posted.
Not everyone wants to search through a forum for info on a product, a blog is a must IMHO.

I don't have an objection to IB Anders so much as how he fits in with the company. You could bring in the best-qualified, most outgoing, professional Community Manager on the planet, and if there is no cooperation from the management and the programmers, it will still be a very disappointing situation for customers.

*removed some of my post as Kier has already addressed it here*

A Community Manager has a very difficult job. They have to "take the pulse of the community" by reading the forums, collecting feedback, all without giving any undue weight to any particular suggestion/request. He/she frequently talks to the developers, is fully aware of what they're working on, and works out the "message" as far as what can be announced and what can be hinted that will help users and 3rd party developers without giving away the store, or promising things that cannot be delivered.

I personally think that XenForo would benefit from bringing in some 2nd party developers. This would be developers who are "inside" and see more of what's going on. They get first crack at new APIs and know better what frameworks are being built so they can produce the best possible Plug-ins, Add-ons, etc. Obviously they would have to be under some form of NDA.

To really build a customer base, you have to pound the pavement, talking to customers, keeping lines of communication, and make announcements of *some kind* to keep up the interest! So far, the customers have beaten a path to XenForo's door on the strength of our faith in Kier and Mike. Now for the second phase, impressing people with the product!

A point that hasn't been mentioned and is important to include in the mix is that we aim to make XenForo appeal to forum software users. We are all to aware that XenForo does not currently have this or that feature and we want to offer these features (not every possible feature). Our thoughts closely align with those on the forum, in many instances.

The balance is bringing to fruition these features, taking into account our commitments (some of which are not by choice) and resources. I reiterate the extraordinary effort as demonstrated by what is currently XenForo 1.0.1. We aim to support those currently using XenForo and that in turn they support us going forward, as XenForo grows and develops.

Oh come on guys, give this a rest. I am sure 4-6 months down the line xF will have infraction, notices and thread prefixes... :) Isn't that what everyone is after? ;)

Yes.

Albums can be an Add-On in my mind. If they only code the core and supported additional features as official Add-Ons, I would be forever happy. Like Kier said, let every take a shot at development because they could have a better product than xenForo development team.

There is no reason that third party add-ons may not be of equal quality to code released by XenForo Ltd., and in order to foster this third party development we make no limitations on third parties to only advertise free-of-charge add-ons here. We want people to develop high quality commercial add-ons for XenForo

I'm agree with all your message, except this point. In my esperience with vb, i have many many many problems with the addons. Many problems of incompatibility within mods, problems with performance, problems with security, problems with poor or inconsistent updates...Many many vb addons are horrible coded, and very poor support from the devs. There are no minimum guarantee with free mods (not only for quality, but also of upgrades, support). And with my old vb board we have "only" 10 mods, now with a software that bases much in third part devs how many mods i need? I think many admins have the same problem. I understand the problems of development, but i think that a software "very heavily based" on third part devs can open many problems...My only hope is to see more pro addons in the future. Except this, i'm totally agree with the rest for your post.

I'm agree with all your message, except this point. In my esperience with vb, i have many many many problems with the addons. Many problems of incompatibility within mods, problems with performance, problems with security, problems with poor or inconsistent updates...Many many vb addons are horrible coded, and very poor support from the devs. There are no minimum guarantee with free mods (not only for quality, but also of upgrades, support). And with my old vb board we have "only" 10 mods, now with a software that bases much in third part devs how many mods i need? I think many admins have the same problem. I understand the problems of development, but i think that a software "very heavily based" on third part devs can open many problems...My only hope is to see more pro addons in the future.
Except this, i'm totally agree with the rest for your post.

MVC architecture offers a new, more versatile and better method for plugin operations.

XenForo as it seems is Blizzard in the forums software :). As many of you know Blizzard is notorious with their approach to public announcements and commitment to release dates. The answer has always been "It will be released when its ready!".
The only bits and pieces of info and updates they release to the public of what is coming up is on their forums :) ... and it is quite a big overstatement to say that this happens frequently :).

I really hope the end xF result is as successful and all Blizzard were :)

A game studio and a web-software company are two very different things though and the methods and strategy that blizzard uses are going to be a bit different than XenForo for a plethora of reasons. Naming a game title and telling about a feature of the game are two different things are they not. You can't really compare apples and oranges.

A game studio and a web-software company are two very different things though and the methods and strategy that blizzard uses are going to be a bit different than XenForo for a plethora of reasons. Naming a game title and telling about a feature of the game are two different things are they not. You can't really compare apples and oranges.
Of course you can not :) but you can see the similarities in the strategy of what to announce and what not, when to announce it etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom