Xenforo looks a lot better in Firefox versus IE 8

looks wired in IE9

Attachments

• Image 4.webp
    Image 4.webp
    82.4 KB · Views: 7
looks wired in IE9

IE9 is causing all sorts of issues on just about every forum board software out there. With MyBB, it submits double postings, very odd and you need to add some code in the headincludes template to force IE9 users coming to use "compatibility mode". Mark.B was doing it and I thought he was taking the mickey until I read information about the problem posted on MyBB.

It's annoying in a way, because as per usual they expect everybody to fix their software to work with IE9, rather than MS creating a browser that doesn't cause these issues in the first place. Chrome, FireFox, Opera are fine, so why does MS have to keep throwing a spanner in the works with their crappy IE browsers they bring out.

IPB have released a patch to make their forum work OK with it, MyBB has given a TEMP fix for it as a workaround for the time being. Need I go on? And the only reason software vendors are being forced to work around it is because it's shipped at the default browser used in Windows, with your average novice Joe (internet user) sticking with it.

And that is the only reason why MS has good inflated figures of users using the browser, because most part-time novice web browsers use windows and and IE to browse the web that comes with it.

looks wired in IE9

Doesn't do that for me in IE9. Do you have some sort of quirks mode enabled in the developers tools section?

It's annoying in a way, because as per usual they expect everybody to fix their software to work with IE9, rather than MS creating a browser that doesn't cause these issues in the first place. Chrome, FireFox, Opera are fine, so why does MS have to keep throwing a spanner in the works with their crappy IE browsers they bring out.

In fairness normally it is the fault of Microsoft but on this occassion they have developed to standards and it is other browsers that have developed to non-finalised standards. IE9 of course isn't perfect but at least Microsoft have learned only to develop to agreed and finalised standards for once. Hopefully other browser makers will equally stop feeling the need to develop to standards still being developed.

Tried to edit my post but doesn't seem to work on my phone. Anyway was just going to add that I was talking about CSS compliance and that my views are based entirely on articles from the likes of ArsTechnica rather than any personal research.

Top Bottom