Xenforo lite

I feel that you can only truly limit (whichever of the above) when it is a remotely hosted solution.

Otherwise, there will be always be means for someone to unbind the constrains of the software.

I feel that you can only truly limit (whichever of the above) when it is a remotely hosted solution.

Otherwise, there will be always be means for someone to unbind the constrains of the software.
As I said above, if people are going to hack, then they will just use a mulled full version instead surely. I don't see this as a target for pirates.

If there was a xenforo lite with some removed functionalities, each person would have their own opinion about what should be removed on the "lite" version.
So that's hard to do, in my opinion.

If there was a xenforo lite with some removed functionalities, each person would have their own opinion about what should be removed on the "lite" version.
No doubt, just as everyone has different opinions about what should be in the full xenforo.

Why did Jelsoft stop making vB Lite at the release of vB2? Because it was a path to fail and a waste of time. I rather see the developers spending time on developing new rich features for the awesome software that we have, that already is far under priced for it's quality then wasting time on making a second product. In all honesty, if your community can't make you the one time cost of xF, then your community is small enough to still get a good use out of a free forum solution.

Why did Jelsoft stop making vB Lite at the release of vB2? Because it was a path to fail and a waste of time.

Just because one company do something badly should not be a reason for another (better) company to do it well.

A path to fail and a waste of time didn't stop them making vB5 :)

Last edited:
Out of interest, which features would you remove to make a "lite version for about half the price", without ruining the functionality, usefulness and user engagement?
Could just be XenForo with all of @AndyB's remove-ons installed by default? :D:p

In my opinion, it's more work than it's worth to have a lite version, for both xF developers and 3rd party developers. The developers have to update both versions for patches/bug fixes.

Could just be XenForo with all of @AndyB's remove-ons installed by default? :D:p

In my opinion, it's more work than it's worth to have a lite version, for both xF developers and 3rd party developers. The developers have to update both versions for patches/bug fixes.

I don't support the idea of a "lite" version, but if there was. It should be just that.. "lite".. No way to install addons or skins other then making a child of the default skin for color changes via pallet and no customer user groups.

I don't support the idea of a "lite" version, but if there was. It should be just that.. "lite".. No way to install addons or skins other then making a child of the default skin for color changes via pallet and no customer user groups.

Exactly my point - it should be "lite"
In all honesty, if your community can't make you the one time cost of xF, then your community is small enough to still get a good use out of a free forum solution.

Just because a community is small doesn't mean it shouldn't have inferior software (e.g. less intuitive, less secure)

Just because a community is small doesn't mean it shouldn't have inferior software (e.g. less intuitive, less secure)
Which nullifies your argument of wanting a 'lite' version of XenForo, which would naturally be inferior to the full version due to any limitations placed upon it.

If a community, no matter the size is worth it, then buying XenForo Full Fat at it's already low cost compared to other forum software is a must!

Which nullifies your argument of wanting a 'lite' version of XenForo, which would naturally be inferior to the full version due to any limitations placed upon it.

Not at all. Inferiority is not the same as fewer features. I'm not saying the cut features that would lower quality.

vBulletin for instance can keep adding feature after feature, in my book that would never make it better than xenforo.

So the lite version would have fewer features, maybe minimal styling, but the features that remain would still be intuitive and elegant.

Top Bottom